WTF Community

🗳 2020 Primary Election

Booker is out :unamused:

4 Likes

People need to stop saying Women can’t win when we still have three female candidates running for President. It’s self defeating.

My twitter feed was literally hundreds of people explaining the nuances of either side to each other all day but really what the argument boils down to one question. Is this honest criticism of the playing field as Bernie saw it or is this a sexist comment said in secret? My guess, it’s a little of both. Discouraging a competitor is not unheard of in politics. Sometimes folks just punch down.

5 Likes

Big attacks lead to little attacks.

Republicans spread lie that Democrats ‘mourn’ Iranian general

Trump is busy lying about the ACA while quietly putting its efforts to strike down Obamacare and leave millions without insurance on the back burner.

Trump Administration Says Obamacare Lawsuit Can Wait Until After the Election

2 Likes

How to watch tonight’s Democratic presidential debate

What time is the debate?

The debate will air live at 9 p.m. ET on CNN.

How can I watch it?

The debate will air exclusively on CNN, CNN en Español, CNN International and CNN Airport Network and will stream live in its entirety, without requiring log-in to a cable provider, exclusively to CNN.com’s homepage, across mobile devices via CNN’s apps for iOS and Android, and via CNNgo apps for Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire, Chromecast and Android TV. The debate will also air live at DesMoinesRegister.com and Democrats.org, and can be heard on CNN’s SiriusXM XChannels and the Westwood One Radio Network.

Who is debating?

• Former Vice President Joe Biden
  • Former South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg
  • Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar
  • Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders
  • Businessman Tom Steyer
  • Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren

Who is moderating?

CNN’s Wolf Blitzer and Abby Phillip as well as The Des Moines Register’s Brianne Pfannenstiel will moderate.

Who didn’t make the cut?

Colorado Sen. Michael Bennet

Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg

Former Maryland Rep. John Delaney

Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard

Former Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick

Businessman Andrew Yang

1 Like

This piece from Rebecca Traister is exactly what I was trying to say about this whole incident. :raised_hands: :raised_hands: :raised_hands:

My favorite passage,

Engaging in a he-said-she-said back-and-forth doesn’t often redound positively to the woman, especially since the defense from Sanders’s team is that she is outright lying. That’s a charge that’s particularly perilous for Warren, for reasons not coincidentally related to some of the particular hurdles faced by female candidates. Charges of dishonesty or inauthenticity can stick effectively to women and have already been made to stick harder to her than to any of the other candidates in the race, even those with spottier track records.

But the charges of lying being thrown around by both sides seem not only potentially self-destructive and counterproductive but well beside the point. Because what Sanders himself said, in his denial, that “what I did say that night was that Donald Trump is a sexist, a racist, and a liar who would weaponize whatever he could,” is not at odds with what Elizabeth Warren may well have heard.

Women, especially those running for office, hear predictions about the kinds of bias that could be effectively wielded against them all the time , not just from sexists or blowhards but from friends and allies and progressives and feminists. As a journalist who covers women in politics, I have heard that a woman can’t win the presidency from feminists, colleagues, family members, from people who believed with all their hearts, back in 1972 and in 1987 and in 1988 and in 2008 and in 2016, that of course a woman could win the presidency but who, they tell me sadly, no longer believe that that is true. This belief — the lack of belief in the possibility of a woman president — is at the heart of the “electability” narrative that has been Elizabeth Warren’s biggest roadblock so far in a primary season during which she is broadly popular and provokes a lot of enthusiasm but in which people are really scared to fully throw themselves behind a female candidate again. They’re scared because, as Bernie Sanders himself says he discussed with her, if she’s the candidate, she will be running in the general against a hateful misogynist and that presents a real-life, genuine set of challenges for a female candidate.

That lots of people feel this way doesn’t mean it’s true that a woman can’t win; I don’t believe for a second that it’s true.

3 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

New York Times Editorial Board Endorses Amy Klobuchar and Elizabeth Warren

:woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

This endorsement has been lambasted by many as the NYT just picking the two female candidates despise them having drastically different political views, though I’ve seen a few noting that if you see it as picking the best candidates from the two streams, moderate and progressive, it makes more sense. I am inclined to agree with those who see the NYT as trying to be inoffensive and thus offending.

2 Likes

Bernie on the rise.

2 Likes

Exclusive poll: Women lock in on 2020

4 Likes

::sighs:: Donnie showed once again he doesn’t understand elections. He posted this to boast about the far right column, but this is a primary, and the GOP has rigged the GOP primaries for him.

This isn’t even a presidential primary. It looks like it’s for Texas-13. :rofl:

4 Likes
3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t understand why he inserted himself into a congressional primary!

3 Likes

OMG. How is he polling in the hotly contested Hooterville dogcatcher race?

3 Likes

Kamala Harris Is Said to Be Weighing an Endorsement of Joe Biden

So much news

1 Like

Bernie taking a bigger lead in the primary polls. I’d vote for Bernie in the general election. While I dislike the bernie stans online, they would be an incredible asset in the general election. Bernie bro’s vs MAGA bro’a, think about it

1 Like

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/videos/opinion/editorials/caucus/2020/01/26/register-editoral-board-endorses-elizabeth-warren/4574954002/

4 Likes