WTF Community

The Impeachment of President Donald J. Trump

Mueller is offering an opening statement before the public (on TV), private testimony but public written transcript of what was said. This would be a decent compromise if it weren’t for that fact that Congress is entitled to everything.

What I don’t understand is Mueller’s unwillingness to come forward and tell the American People what he found?! This, tough-shit-just-read-my-report bullshit is not informing anyone and is raising more questions than it’s answering. What the fuck are we doing as a country on this issue?! Why is it so hard to just get to the truth?

KEY POINTS

• Special counsel Robert Mueller wants to talk to Congress about his investigation into the Trump campaign and Russian interference in the 2016 election, but he wants to do it behind closed doors, says Rep. Jerrold Nadler,
  • Nadler tells MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow that Mueller told the committee he would make his opening statement before the public.
  • A transcript of Mueller’s testimony would be made public, Nadler adds.
  • Nadler says he does not know why Mueller has been pushing for private testimony, but speculated that the Republican former FBI director “doesn’t want to participate in anything that he might regard as a political spectacle.”
4 Likes

I hope he’s going to be okay. :anguished:

Representative Jerrold Nadler, the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, was taken to a hospital after apparently fainting during a news conference on Friday in Manhattan.

Mr. Nadler, 71, was seated at a table in a gymnasium at Public School 199 on the Upper West Side, where Mayor Bill de Blasio was heralding the expansion of New York City’s speed camera program.

Thirty minutes after Mr. Nadler, a Democrat, made brief remarks, his head appeared to slump. Three medical professionals attended to Mr. Nadler, and Mr. de Blasio helped Mr. Nadler to drink some Gatorade from the mayor’s metal water bottle. A fan was turned on, and the gymnasium was cleared.

Nadler tweets, he’s going to be okay.

3 Likes

I get why he does not want to be lobbed horrid questions around Lisa Page/Peter Stzrok and belittled by the R’s questions. Nadler put it succinctly - saying there’s a certain ‘rectitude’ that he has for the law, his role as former FBI head and does not want to get in a food fight with any one.

I would hope that he would make abundantly clear in his open statement what he means about how is T not exonerated.

I agree with you…I really want him to be forthright and come forward.

It is possible they could get Andrew Weissmann or some other Mueller team person to testify too.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I am beyond exasperated. If he didn’t have the nerve to testify in public about his findings, he shouldn’t have taken the job in the first place.

Mueller: Unless you’re still working on uncovering a smoking gun, leave the DoJ and testify openly and truthfully to the American people. Now.

2 Likes

2 Likes

:newspaper: Header has been updated. Breaking news starts below. :point_down:

2 Likes

Lawyers for President Donald Trump have reached an agreement with the House Intelligence and Financial Services committees to hold off for now on enforcing the subpoenas for Trump’s financial records from Deutsche Bank and Capital One, according to a court document and a source familiar with the agreement.

Similar to a deal reached earlier this week with the House Oversight committee, the agreement allows for an expedited appeal schedule.

I guess this is a good thing since the agreement is supposed to speed up the appeals schedule. But what does that mean? How long is an “expedited appeals schedule”? If it’s six months, I say tear up the agreement and enforce the subpoena already.

5 Likes

The length and scope of this list of investigations into Trump’s nefarious deeds is staggering. There’s no way to summarize it – you simply must see the list in its entirety. You’ll just keep scrolling and scrolling and scrolling. It’s truly overwhelming – like a plague of locusts has descended upon us.

Link courtesy of currentstatus.io

3 Likes

There’s a lot of overlap too. Do committees do joint sessions for these?

2 Likes

@Keaton_James

Good find. Why aren’t there more stories that take a broader view like this one?

:thinking: I think I’ll add some of those points in the description portion of the header for each Committee, just makes the whole situation even more ridiculous. :joy:

4 Likes

@GracieC

Yes and yes. A good example is the Mueller Report which is being pursued through both the Judiciary and Intelligence Committees. I’ve been double posting in the header when it’s a joint effort or joint hearing.

5 Likes

Republicans in the Senate would quash Impeachment proceedings almost immediately.

GOP senators say that if the House passes articles of impeachment against President Trump they will quickly quash them in the Senate, where Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has broad authority to set the parameters of a trial.

While McConnell is required to act on articles of impeachment, which require 67 votes — or a two-thirds majority — to convict the president, he and his Republican colleagues have the power to set the rules and ensure the briefest of trials.

“I think it would be disposed of very quickly,” said Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham(R-S.C.).

2 Likes

More financial records – yes! The focus of this subpoena will be foreign payments made to Trump. He will also be requested to testify (not sure whether that’s in person or in writing) – it will be interesting to see how that unfolds.

Democrats from the House and Senate have told a federal judge they’d like to begin pursuing President Donald Trump’s personal financial records and corporate records next month as part of a lawsuit over his business properties.

The request has not yet been approved by a judge. But if the timeline is approved, this case would add yet another layer to various pursuits by members of Congress of Trump’s financial history.

Democrats claim they did not have the opportunity to consider and approve Trump’s business proceeds from foreign governments when he became President. So they want to begin collecting evidence – both documents and depositions – from banks, from Trump Organization subsidiaries and from his trust account beginning in late June.

They’re specifically seeking information about Trump companies that accept certain benefits from foreign governments, such as through intellectual property and other regulatory approvals, and payments from the governments toward Trump licensing, real estate and hotel rooms, conferences and events.

The Democrats claim Trump has violated the Constitution by not allowing them to review his business interests, and noted that he’s flouted the practice of past presidents who’ve divested their holdings while in office and notified Congress of what they accept from foreign powers.

Congressional Democrats also said they may want to ask Trump limited questions and would seek his personal financial records, according to Tuesday’s court filing.

They say this would take a “marginal amount of the President’s time” and far less than the Supreme Court allowed previously in a lawsuit against Bill Clinton during his presidency.

They would also like to depose people from the Trump Organization and other corporations "in which the President has an ownership interest," the filing said…

“If the President succeeds in running out the clock, an entire presidential term will have gone by with the nation’s highest officeholder making countless foreign policy decisions while under a cloud of potentially divided loyalty and compromised judgment caused by his enrichment from foreign states,” lawyers for the Democrats wrote in the court filing.

Encouraging news, but I’m irked by the fact that this reporter keeps talking about “Democrats” without naming any of them. I mean, isn’t that in “Reporting 101”? It would be nice to know who is leading the charge here. A link to the actual filing would also be welcome. I’ve googled around a bit, but so far I can’t find any of the names or the filing itself. Weird. Will report back if I do.

4 Likes

Great news…so far The House Financal Services Commiittee headed by Maxine Waters has gotten Wells Fargo and TD bank records. This group have been stalled on receiving others…so perhaps they are doing an all out push to get them. Or perhaps Rep Richard Neal house Ways and Means whom the Right is criticizing for creating phoney reasons why they need to get tax returns.

Review of the Dem House Committes

Thx…always great to see the fight underway on many fronts.

3 Likes

:boom::boom::boom:

Chairman Nadler Response to Special Counsel Mueller’s Statements on Conclusion of Investigation

Washington, D.C. –Today, House Judiciary Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) delivered the following statement in response to Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s press conference on the conclusion of his investigation into President Trump and his associates:

"We would like to thank Special Counsel Robert Mueller for his service to our nation over the past two years. In his statement this morning, Special Counsel Mueller reaffirmed his report, which found substantial evidence that Russia attacked our political system and that the President sought to obstruct Mueller’s investigation over and over again. He alsoconfirmed three central points: he did not exonerate the President of the United States of obstruction of justice, obstruction of justice is a serious crime that strikes at the core of our justice system, and the Constitution points to Congress to take action to hold the President accountable.

"Although Department of Justice policy prevented the Special Counsel from bringing criminal charges against the President, the Special Counsel has clearly demonstrated that President Trump is lying about the Special Counsel’s findings, lying about the testimony of key witnesses in the Special Counsel’s report, and is lying in saying that the Special Counsel found no obstruction and no collusion. Given that Special Counsel Mueller was unable to pursue criminal charges against the President, it falls to Congress to respond to the crimes, lies and other wrongdoing of President Trump – and we will do so. No one, not even the President of the United States, is above the law."

5 Likes

Pelosi Statement on Special Counsel Mueller’s Press Statement Reiterating the President’s Obstruction

San Francisco – Speaker Nancy Pelosi issued this statement after Special Counsel Mueller made a press statement reiterating the extent of Russian efforts to disrupt our elections and that President Trump was not exonerated of obstructing the Trump-Russia investigation:

“It is with the greatest respect for Special Counsel Robert Mueller and the deepest disappointment in the Department of Justice holding the President above the law, that I thank Special Counsel Mueller for the work he and his team did to provide a record for future action both in the Congress and in the courts regarding the Trump Administration involvement in Russian interference and obstruction of the investigation.

Special Counsel Mueller made clear that he did not exonerate the President when he stated, ‘If we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.’ He stated that the decision not to indict stemmed directly from the Department of Justice’s policy that a sitting President cannot be indicted. Despite Department of Justice policy to the contrary, no one is above the law – not even the President.

The Special Counsel’s report revealed that the President’s campaign welcomed Russian interference in the election, and laid out eleven instances of the President’s obstruction of the investigation. The Congress holds sacred its constitutional responsibility to investigate and hold the President accountable for his abuse of power.

The Congress will continue to investigate and legislate to protect our elections and secure our democracy. The American people must have the truth. We call upon the Senate to pass H.R. 1, the For The People Act, to protect our election systems.

“We salute Special Counsel Robert Mueller and his team for his patriotic duty to seek the truth.”

3 Likes

Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller III Makes Statement on Investigation into Russian Interference in the 2016 Presidential Election

Washington, DC

~

Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Two years ago, the Acting Attorney General asked me to serve as Special Counsel, and he created the Special Counsel’s Office.

The appointment order directed the office to investigate Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election. This included investigating any links or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the Trump campaign.

I have not spoken publicly during our investigation. I am speaking today because our investigation is complete. The Attorney General has made the report on our investigation largely public. And we are formally closing the Special Counsel’s Office. As well, I am resigning from the Department of Justice and returning to private life.

I’ll make a few remarks about the results of our work. But beyond these few remarks, it is important that the office’s written work speak for itself.

Let me begin where the appointment order begins: and that is interference in the 2016 presidential election.

As alleged by the grand jury in an indictment, Russian intelligence officers who were part of the Russian military launched a concerted attack on our political system.

The indictment alleges that they used sophisticated cyber techniques to hack into computers and networks used by the Clinton campaign. They stole private information, and then released that information through fake online identities and through the organization WikiLeaks. The releases were designed and timed to interfere with our election and to damage a presidential candidate.

And at the same time, as the grand jury alleged in a separate indictment, a private Russian entity engaged in a social media operation where Russian citizens posed as Americans in order to interfere in the election.

These indictments contain allegations. And we are not commenting on the guilt or innocence of any specific defendant. Every defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in court.

The indictments allege, and the other activities in our report describe, efforts to interfere in our political system. They needed to be investigated and understood. That is among the reasons why the Department of Justice established our office.

That is also a reason we investigated efforts to obstruct the investigation. The matters we investigated were of paramount importance. It was critical for us to obtain full and accurate information from every person we questioned. When a subject of an investigation obstructs that investigation or lies to investigators, it strikes at the core of the government’s effort to find the truth and hold wrongdoers accountable.

Let me say a word about the report. The report has two parts addressing the two main issues we were asked to investigate.

The first volume of the report details numerous efforts emanating from Russia to influence the election. This volume includes a discussion of the Trump campaign’s response to this activity, as well as our conclusion that there was insufficient evidence to charge a broader conspiracy.

And in the second volume, the report describes the results and analysis of our obstruction of justice investigation involving the President.

The order appointing me Special Counsel authorized us to investigate actions that could obstruct the investigation. We conducted that investigation and we kept the office of the Acting Attorney General apprised of the progress of our work.

As set forth in our report, after that investigation, if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

We did not, however, make a determination as to whether the President did commit a crime. The introduction to volume two of our report explains that decision.

It explains that under long-standing Department policy, a President cannot be charged with a federal crime while he is in office. That is unconstitutional. Even if the charge is kept under seal and hidden from public view—that too is prohibited.

The Special Counsel’s Office is part of the Department of Justice and, by regulation, it was bound by that Department policy. Charging the President with a crime was therefore not an option we could consider.

The Department’s written opinion explaining the policy against charging a President makes several important points that further informed our handling of the obstruction investigation. Those points are summarized in our report. And I will describe two of them:

First, the opinion explicitly permits the investigation of a sitting President because it is important to preserve evidence while memories are fresh and documents are available. Among other things, that evidence could be used if there were co-conspirators who could now be charged.

And second, the opinion says that the Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting President of wrongdoing.

And beyond Department policy, we were guided by principles of fairness. It would be unfair to potentially accuse somebody of a crime when there can be no court resolution of an actual charge.

So that was the Justice Department policy and those were the principles under which we operated. From them we concluded that we would not reach a determination – one way or the other – about whether the President committed a crime. That is the office’s final position and we will not comment on any other conclusions or hypotheticals about the President.

We conducted an independent criminal investigation and reported the results to the Attorney General—as required by Department regulations.

The Attorney General then concluded that it was appropriate to provide our report to Congress and the American people.

At one point in time I requested that certain portions of the report be released. The Attorney General preferred to make the entire report public all at once. We appreciate that the Attorney General made the report largely public. I do not question the Attorney General’s good faith in that decision.

I hope and expect this to be the only time that I will speak about this matter. I am making that decision myself—no one has told me whether I can or should testify or speak further about this matter.

There has been discussion about an appearance before Congress. Any testimony from this office would not go beyond our report. It contains our findings and analysis, and the reasons for the decisions we made. We chose those words carefully, and the work speaks for itself.

The report is my testimony. I would not provide information beyond that which is already public in any appearance before Congress.

In addition, access to our underlying work product is being decided in a process that does not involve our office.

So beyond what I have said here today and what is contained in our written work, I do not believe it is appropriate for me to speak further about the investigation or to comment on the actions of the Justice Department or Congress.

It is for that reason that I will not take questions here today.

Before I step away, I want to thank the attorneys, the FBI agents, the analysts, and the professional staff who helped us conduct this investigation in a fair and independent manner. These individuals, who spent nearly two years with the Special Counsel’s Office, were of the highest integrity.

I will close by reiterating the central allegation of our indictments—that there were multiple, systematic efforts to interfere in our election.

That allegation deserves the attention of every American.

Thank you.

4 Likes

Representative Nadler Response to Robert Mueller Statement

Following Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s statement on the Russia probe, Judiciary Committee Chair Jerold Nadler says it now falls to Congress to hold the president accountable. On the question of impeachment, he says “all options are on the table.”

Watch :point_down:

1 Like

Mueller’s office had handouts?! Anyone find an article on this?! I need a better source…

3 Likes

Chairman Schiff Response to Special Counsel Mueller’s Statements on Conclusion of Investigation

LOS ANGELES, CA – Today, Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA), the Chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, released the following statement:

“First and foremost, I want to thank Robert Mueller for his lifetime of public service, not just as Special Counsel, but also as a Marine, at the Department of Justice, and as FBI Director. Only someone of his caliber and integrity could have conducted an investigation of this importance in such a fair and impartial way.

“Mueller confirmed today that Russia engaged in multiple systematic efforts to interfere in the 2016 election and the U.S. political system, and underscored that this ‘deserves the attention of every American.’ These facts are indisputable, spelled out in great detail in his report, and lay bare the sinister and sophisticated nature of Russia’s attack.

“Despite the president’s ‘no collusion’ mantra, Mueller in fact found countless contacts between Russian officials and agents, and Trump campaign associates. These communications and actions were deeply compromising, and raise serious counterintelligence concerns that the Committee must follow. Perhaps most damning of all, Mueller found that Trump and his campaign sought to benefit from a hostile foreign intelligence operation. The Special Counsel determined that there was insufficient evidence to charge a broader conspiracy, but this should not inure us to how unethical and corrupt these actions were and how they undermined our national security.

“Finally, in a direct rebuke of Attorney General William Barr—who deliberately and repeatedly misled the American people—Mueller today confirmed that he was unable to consider criminal charges of obstruction of justice against the President specifically because of Department of Justice policy prohibiting the indictment of a sitting president. Mueller reiterated that ‘if we had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.’ Instead, he made clear that, because of the Department’s own policy, it is left it to Congress—not the Attorney General—to evaluate and further investigate the president’s misconduct.

“We look forward to Mueller’s testimony before Congress. While I understand his reluctance to answer hypotheticals or deviate from the carefully worded conclusions he drew on his charging decisions, there are, nevertheless, a great many questions he can answer that go beyond the report, including any counterintelligence issues and classified matters that were not addressed in his findings.

“The Congress has a constitutional duty to hold the president accountable and ensure that our democratic system is not influenced or attacked by foreign adversaries. We will continue to do both because no one is above the law, not even the President of the United States.”

3 Likes