WTF Community

šŸ¤® Coronavirus (Community Thread)

Powerful ad/psa Detroit is putting out

Video :point_down:

2 Likes

I. Canā€™t. Look at thisā€¦wtf wtf wtf

A longtime Republican fundraiser sent an email to his clients on Thursday abruptly announcing that he would no longer be working for them.

The reason: He saw an opportunity to capitalize on the coronavirus response

Over the last 14 days I have built another business outside politics and will be focusing my full attention there,ā€ he wrote in the email, which was obtained by POLITICO.

The fundraiser, Mike Gula, didnā€™t specify his new line of work in the email. But in an interview, he said heā€™d started a new company selling medical equipment thatā€™s been in short supply during the coronavirus pandemic.

The company, Blue Flame Medical LLC, was formed Monday in Delaware, according to state records. Its website says it sells coronavirus testing kits, N95 respirator masks, ā€œa wide selectionā€ of personal protective equipment and other ā€œhard to find medical supplies to beat the outbreak.ā€

Asked how heā€™d managed to procure such equipment when there are shortages in hospitals across the country, Gula said, ā€œI have relationships with a lot of people.ā€

3 Likes

Feds distribute 200K N95 masks seized from coronavirus hoarder

3 Likes

This is the thing I was screaming at my TV about last night. It is highly ABNORMAL for the federal government to hand over vital PPE and other supplies to private companies to sell instead of directly to the states that need them. F$%k ā€œsupply chainsā€.

Kushner in the news.

Kushner Puts Himself in Middle of White Houseā€™s Chaotic Coronavirus Response

President Trumpā€™s son-in-law has become a central player in the administrationā€™s effort to curb the pandemic. But critics say he is part of the problem.

ā€œThe senior official described the Kushner team as a ā€œfrat partyā€ that descended from a U.F.O . and invaded the federal government.ā€

Kushner company stands to benefit from freeze on federal mortgage payments

With more than $800 million in federally backed properties, Kushner Companies could reduce its payments to zero under provisions of the recovery bill.

Jared Kushner Is Going to Get Us All Killed

Trumpā€™s son-in-law has no business running the coronavirus response.

Jared Kushner Ripped For Saying ā€˜Our Stockpileā€™ Isnā€™t Meant For States To Use

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/jared-kushner-stockpile-091408992.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Trumpvirus%20Anim%20Jared%20Kushner%20SARS

The witches are back. I put out the thread about this morning:

Then I saw this. Itā€™s exactly the point I am making: the only people who do not want oversight are those with something to hide:

The 1,000-Bed Comfort Was Supposed to Aid New York. It Has 20 Patients.

ā€œItā€™s a joke,ā€ said a top hospital executive, whose facilities are packed with coronavirus patients.

4 Likes

From Afar, Congress Moves to Oversee Trump Coronavirus Response

The plan to create a select committee, which would require a House vote, reflects a particular sense of urgency among Democrats to keep a close watch on how Mr. Trump carries out the more than $2 trillion stimulus package that he signed into law last week. The measure created vast programs, including a $500 billion corporate bailout program and a $350 billion small-business loan initiative, and provided $150 million for states and cities coping with the coronavirus.

Democrats insisted on attaching strict oversight measures to the bailout money, but Mr. Trump ā€” who was impeached last year on charges of abuse of power and obstructing congressional attempts to investigate ā€” has suggested he has the authority to decide whether an inspector general appointed to oversee it has to share information with Congress.

ā€œWhere there is money, there is often frequently mischief,ā€ Ms. Pelosi told reporters on Thursday during a telephonic news conference to replace her usual weekly briefing on Capitol Hill, another tradition upended by social distancing.

Ms. Pelosi said the panel would have subpoena power, meaning it could demand testimony and documents from the Trump administration. That raised the prospect of a new round of constitutional showdowns between Mr. Trump and the Democrat-led House over information about how the administration addressed the coronavirus threat, and its actions as the disease began rampaging across the country.

At the White House, Mr. Trump reacted angrily to the idea of a special committee, criticizing Democrats for ā€œconducting these partisan investigations in the middle of a pandemic.ā€

ā€œI want to remind everyone here in our nationā€™s capital, especially in Congress, that this is not the time for politics, endless partisan investigations ā€” here we go again,ā€ he said. ā€œItā€™s witch hunt after witch hunt after witch hunt.ā€

No, Mr. Trump is simple congressional oversight as written in our constitution.

5 Likes

Disaster in motion: 3.4 million travelers poured into US as coronavirus pandemic erupted

U.S. exported millions in masks and ventilators ahead of the coronavirus crisis

Bad news from Brazil, where an evangelical group known for spreading disease to indigenous peoples with their ham-handed efforts at conversion is about to introduce tribes in the western Amazon to the coronavirus:

Bringing Christ and coronavirus: Evangelicals to contact Amazon indigenous

This Brooklyn Landlord Just Canceled Rent for Hundreds of Tenants

Mario Salerno, who has 18 apartment buildings, said he did not want renters to stress about their payment during the coronavirus pandemic.

ARRGH.

3 Likes

Whoa.

4 Likes

I knew theyā€™d pull something like thisā€¦Jared ā€˜mastermindedā€™ all the delegation to the States so as to provide limited liability on the Tā€™s part and the Federal end. All Jared wants to do is to off load onto the States the things that the Federal Government should do.

This is despicableā€¦making up the rules as they go.

Yesterday after Jared made all those comments about how leaders should have been reviewed on their ā€˜managementā€™ abilitiesā€¦I just about, well you know. Jared has been scurrying around pulling in his former roommates and others to create oversight on a debauched Federal response.

Plausible deniabilityā€¦that is ALL they want to hide their half-baked responses.

5 Likes

Yes, :mask: how many weeks have I been saying this?

4 Likes

This is one of many horrible daysā€¦where the death counts for NYC alone are beyond imaginable.

New York State records its biggest daily death toll, and pleads for the nationā€™s help.

With New York City officials warning that they are days away from a ā€œD-Dayā€ when the pandemic will overwhelm hospitals, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo of New York said Friday he had signed an executive order letting him move ventilators from hospitals with lower needs to those with dire shortages. And he made a plea for a similar redistribution on a national level.

ā€œIā€™m not going to let people die because we didnā€™t redistribute ventilators,ā€ Mr. Cuomo said as he announced that the state now had more than 100,000 known cases and its death toll had reached 2,935 after its biggest one-day increase. The stateā€™s death toll has nearly doubled in the last three days.

Mr. Cuomo was blunt about the looming shortage of lifesaving ventilators, saying ā€œwe donā€™t have enough ā€” period.ā€

4 Likes

This is about T now blocking respirators to Canada nowā€¦how to embroil a bad sitauation to make it worse.

OTTAWA/TORONTO (Reuters) - Canadian officials on Friday blasted a move by President Donald Trump to block 3M Coā€™s export of N95 respirator masks for use by doctors and nurses as coronavirus cases were projected to soar in the countryā€™s most populous region.

Ontario health officials projected 80,000 coronavirus cases and 1,600 deaths in the province by month end under current public health measures, and urged people to restrict their movements.

Ontario has reported 3,255 confirmed cases and 67 deaths.

4 Likes

Here is a podcast from Radio NZ in which Kim Hill one of our top radio reporters interviews Dr Chris Smith consultant clinical virologist at Cambridge University. I found it an extremely insightful overview of the pandemic and just where the world is right now:

4 Likes

Interesting interview. He does not recommend the surgical mask more because it does not protect from the sides, and also suggests that we wear eyeglasses/goggles too. One hopes that a mask can create a barrier so I am going with that notion, it prevents some ā€˜stuffā€™ from coming through.

Ohā€¦how to avoid ā€˜getting it.ā€™ Wash hands, hands away from face, social isolating and distancingā€¦and a wing and a prayer.

Thanks for posting @macro

3 Likes

This. From the man who helped save New Orleans during Katrina General Honore says we need an all-hands-on-deck-approach overseeing what the Governors need, finding out inventories at hospitals and eliminating the cross talk coming from the WH and the ā€˜willy nillyā€™ approach that does not help the ā€˜little guy.ā€™

David Begnaud (@DavidBegnaud) tweeted at 7:48 PM on Thu, Apr 02, 2020:

After hearing the White House say critical supplies are going to commercial distributors who are then selling them to the states which are begging for help, I called @ltgrusselhonore who commanded federal troops after Hurricane Katrina to get his reaction.

Video :point_down:

4 Likes

Coronavirus testing effort hampered by kits contaminated with Covid-19

Britainā€™s attempt to ramp up mass coronavirus testing has been dealt a blow after key components ordered from overseas were discovered to be contaminated with coronavirus, the Telegraph can disclose.

Not US but a U.K., I debated where to put this unbelievable storyā€¦

4 Likes

A new adā€¦but what took them so long?
The ad will air as a commercial during ā€œFox & Friendsā€ on Tuesday in Washington, D.C., the conservative group confirmed in a statement to the Hill.
https://youtu.be/s2QLxGAlu18

3 Likes

So THIS is why the New England Patriotsā€™ owner flew those masks in from China; because masks Massachusetts had already bought were CONFISCATED by Trump in the port of New York!

What the hell is going on that the Trump regime is seizing all of these shipments of PPE and supplies intended for states and hospitals?

2/2 Could it be some sort of twisted extortion scheme, like Donnieā€™s engaged in before?

US hijacking mask shipments in rush for coronavirus protection

Durbin: Pritzker aiming to organize an airlift of COVID-19 supplies from China to Illinois

ā€˜Lord of the Flies: PPE Editionā€™: U.S. cast as culprit in global scrum over coronavirus supplies

The Trump administrationā€™s desperate hunt for protective gear is provoking anger abroad.

4 Likes

This thread is based on some of the stories above. In looking into recent Trump regime hijackings of shipments, I found so much more:

Dr. Cornelia Griggs, asking for #PPE: ā€œMy babies are too young to read this now. And theyā€™d barely recognize me in my gear. But if they lose me to COVID I want them to know Mommy tried really hard to do her job.ā€

4 Likes
4 Likes

3 Likes