WTF Community

šŸ¤® Coronavirus (Community Thread)

I made a video about the Katie Miller response he had, and how he both tried to make excuses for her and tried to distance himself from her. The message was that catching the coronavirus was a sign of personal weakness.

In other news:

ā€˜How Could the CDC Make That Mistake?ā€™

The governmentā€™s disease-fighting agency is conflating viral and antibody tests, compromising a few crucial metrics that governors depend on to reopen their economies. Pennsylvania, Georgia, Texas, and other states are doing the same.

Thread:

5 Likes

Ya know, with this REALLY, REALLY weird dynamic weā€™ve got going on right now, with our government not being a reliable source of valid information and has even taking effort to squelch some informed sources, with a little digging around, hereā€™s my take on our current reality; and any feedback would be much appreciated.

In lieu of any other trustworthy information Iā€™d been able to find, based on what happened in our 1918 pandemic in which no vaccine was ever developed and apparently took about a year to run its course; based on our Washington State Governorā€™s initial stay @Home Order, weā€™re now on Day 67, with ā€˜justā€™ 298 Days to go.

Now, I recently ran into another analysis that seemed legitimate that predicted we wonā€™t be arriving at a reasonable level of ā€˜normalcyā€™ for TWO years.

And, despite our (so-called) presidentā€™s ā€œwarp speed vaccineā€ claims, we probably wonā€™t be seeing any such thing until at least mid-2021, which will be approaching that two year prediction.

And, it seems to me that by then, pretty much everybody will have already been exposed to the virus and will have either recovered, or not. So, I guess the REAL purpose of our Stay @Home Order isnā€™t really to to get through this, but just to keep from overloading our health care system until this DOES blow over?

3 Likes

@james98188, I look at the vaccine stories from the best case/worse case scenario.
Best case would be trumpā€™s predictions. Worse case is never & hoping for the best. In between there is a lot of room. I try to keep in mind how often promising drugs brought to human testing end up failingā€¦one of the reasons new drugs are so expensive.

With that in mind, it stands to reason that a viable vaccine would be at least a year away especially in getting it out to the public. Think about the regular flu vaccine that is developed months before it gets rolled out every year & sometimes it doesnā€™t work.

My personal expectation is a second wave before we have any vaccine. So I will continue to mostly self isolate & wear a mask in public, because better safe than sorry.

3 Likes

Respectfully, GracieC, a properly tested vaccine in Trumpā€™s timeframe isnā€™t even viable. And agreed, a second wave, and perhaps more are pretty much inevitable if nothing else changes and people are sent out back to work, play, etc. The more time that goes by, the greater the chance of contracting the virus, in which case thereā€™s about a 7% chance theyā€™ll die, and about a 93% chance theyā€™ll develop antibodies and recover. So, the question will be, how will this end? Like it did in 1918 without a vaccine, or perhaps a little faster with one. By the time a properly tested vaccine is available though, it might be too late to have much of an effect.

(By the wayā€¦wearing a mask isnā€™t for protection from other people, itā€™s for protecting other people from the mask wearer.)

2 Likes

This is where we areā€¦

Yes that is exactly correct. Without testing larger portions of the population and extensive contact tracing, staying at home is all we can do to prevent the healthcare systems from being overwhelmed.

The virus is not at all contained. The mitigation techniques only slow it down, there is no cure, no known treatment. We are flying without a net, so to speak. There may not be a vaccine for years, decades even. It very well could infect everyone before the science catches up to practice. We all need to prepare for that possible future and hope it doesnā€™t happen.

I donā€™t mean to seem alarmist but I made a solid plan with my doctor on where my family would be tested, we stocked up on extra sterilizing supplies for caregivers in our household, masks, fever reducers, electrolytes. etc. I even got an extra thermometer and an oximeter. Everyone has a place to sleep separately if needed. Prepare your households because help is only coming from local and state services. Stay home if you live in hot spot, even if your state is starting to reopen. Shore up any health insurance issues, connect with your doctors. Wear your mask in public and keep washing your hands.

The responsibility to not get sick or infect others is on each of us now but itā€™s really not that hard if you just follow the guidelines and pay attention to local Covid-19 news. Let the idiots get sick first, theyā€™ll change their tune.

:point_right:Only you can prevent the spread of coronavirus.

Oh, I should make this meme. :smirk_cat:

4 Likes

Nicely stated Pet_Proletariat,

One addition I might make about there being no ā€œcure,ā€ one might consider the antibodies one generates if one gets infected as a cure, albeit not a guaranteed one. Depending on the timing, itā€™s been shown that even if one HAS those antibodies in ones system, theyā€™re not a guarantee regarding not getting reinfected.

Personally, I think that this basic information being contradicted/or not made clear by certain factions of our government borders on being criminal.

4 Likes

He is utterly incapable of admitting to any mistake.

President says he would have done ā€˜nothingā€™ differently to stop pandemic as death toll nears 94,000 and will soon stop taking hydroxychloroquine

3 Likes

When Jane Lytvynenko writes, itā€™s worth sitting up straighter and paying attention lol. Good source for if you or someone you know comes across ā€œinfoā€ from these fools.

5 Likes

This is a must read, thank you @MissJava

4 Likes

As T golfs, here is the NYTā€™s cover on Sundayā€¦list of those who have died from Covid-19. :pray::sob:

5 Likes
3 Likes

Todayā€™s protest

6 Likes

5 Likes

Watch: ā€˜Lord Have Mercyā€™: Inside One of New Yorkā€™s Deadliest ZIP Codes

Losing so many so fast, it hasnā€™t really hit any of us yet, we donā€™t yet know who all has been taken. I think about all those families mourning and coping quietly in their homes. My heart is with them and I wish them comfort.

4 Likes

Very truly sad. @Pet_Proletariat. Thank you for posting this video of this hospital dealing with this tumultuous time - everyone is at a loss, horrifically scaredā€¦and the desire for it to be over goes on without end it seems.

I liked this sermon I read today about responding to these overwhelming collective experiences of grief and channeling that into a more reflective approach. In effect it is a sermon without the trappings of proximity to thy neighbor sharing in community, faith and healing.

Here goesā€¦

ā€¦

The Rev. Nadia Bolz-Weber, Lutheran pastor and author (and now podcaster - The Confessional) offered this reflection yesterday which our Deacon, the Rev. Martha Goodwill, shares with us.

I do not know when we can gather together again in worship, Lord.

So, for now I just ask that:

When I sing along in my kitchen to each song on Stevie Wonderā€™s Songs in The Key of Life Album, that it be counted as praise. (Happy 70thBirthday, SW!)

And that when I read the news and my heart tightens in my chest, may it be counted as a Kyrie.

And that when my eyes brighten in a smile behind my mask as I thank the cashier may it be counted as passing the peace.

And that when I water my plants and wash my dishes and take a shower may it be counted as remembering my baptism.

And that when the tears come and my shoulders shake and my breathing falters, may it be counted as prayer.

And that when I stumble upon a Tabitha Brown video and hear her grace and love of you may it be counted as a hearing a homily.

And that as I sit at that table in my apartment, and eat one more homemade meal, slowly, joyfully, with nothing else demanding my time or attention, may it be counted as communion.

Amen.

-Nadia Bolz-Weber

4 Likes

This is heartbreaking on every level.

2 Likes

The US government gave hydroxychloroquine to 1,300 veterans infected with COVID-19, despite evidence that the drug is ineffective and could increase the risk of death

3 Likes

T makes a made-for-reelection speech at the Memorial Day serviceā€¦

This Memorial Dayā€¦our thoughts are elsewhere - with the 100,000 dead from Coronavirus

And Pelosi/Schumer remind us that the work is not done

May 25, 2020

Press Release

Washington, D.C. ā€“ Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr. (D-NJ), Chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee and Senator Patty Murray (D-WA), Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education Labor & Pensions released the following statement today after the Trump Administration submitted a new report to Congress outlining their national testing strategy:

ā€œAfter six months and nearly 100,000 lives lost, the Trump Administration still does not have a serious plan for increasing testing to stop the spread of the virus.

ā€œThis disappointing report confirms that President Trumpā€™s national testing strategy is to deny the truth that there arenā€™t enough tests and supplies, reject responsibility and dump the burden onto the states.

ā€œIn this document, the Trump Administration again attempts to paint a rosy picture about testing while experts continue to warn the country is far short of what we need. We still need clear explanations for how targets were set, how they will be met and what will be done if they are not. The Trump Administration still does not take any responsibility for ramping up our nationā€™s testing capacity, instead pushing the burden onto the states ā€“ forcing states to compete with each other to procure vital supplies to administer tests from the private market.

ā€œTo reopen our economy safely, we need testing to be free, accurate, reliable and accompanied by tools like contact tracing so we can slow the spread of the virus and prevent outbreaks. Senator McConnell must stop obstructing the House-passed Heroes Act, which would deliver a clear strategy and $75 billion for the testing and contact tracing necessary to stop the spread of this vicious virus.

ā€œWe will continue to hold the Presidentā€™s feet to the fire, and we are going to push Republicans in Congress to join us in demanding the accountability, transparency, action and leadership the American people deserve from their president.ā€

And Bidenā€™s message

And Biden wears a mask

Photo

3 Likes

Coronavirus is killing far more US health workers than official data suggests

Challenges in collecting data, a patchwork of state tracking systems and patients who die at home mean the true toll of Covid-19 on US healthcare workers is unknown

Wow.

2 Likes

The latest information we now have is that most infections are obtained not by surface contact, but by hanging out in enclosed areas with a bunch of other people. So, the obvious thing to do if infections are down because people are staying at home is to send everybody back out there again, to hang out in enclosed areas with a bunch of other people!

3 Likes