WTF Community

Day 1081

1/ Trump authorized a drone strike at Baghdad International Airport that killed Iran's top security and intelligence commander late Thursday. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said the Pentagon had taken "decisive defensive action" and killed Qasem Soleimani, who led the Quds Force of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps, because he "was actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region." Soleimani was the architect of nearly every significant operation by Iranian intelligence and military forces over the past two decades.Esper also accused Soleimani of approving the attacks on the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad earlier this week. Speaking to reporters while on vacation at Mar-a-Lago on Tuesday – hours after the attack on the American Embassy in Baghdad – Trump insisted that he did not want war, saying "I want to have peace. I like peace." (Washington Post / New York Times / Associated Press / NBC News /

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2020/01/05/day-1081/
5 Likes

Cross-posting.

This is escalating in a very bad way. Hassan Rouhani is the current president of Iran. This post references Iran Air Flight 655: An A300 shot down by the US, in thePersianGulf, on July 3, 1988. All 290 people on board died.

1 Like

Dunno if this is the right forum for my reply, so mods please feel free to move it if necessary. But I just wanted to come in and say hello and a big thank you for this site. I found it through a web search and decided to subscribe. I was never much into politics until now. Thank you so much for keeping us up to speed on all things Trump. Also, I like your name.

6 Likes

Hey, welcome Jake! Hope you’ll join the active community here discussing and making sense of the news

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.