WTF Community

Day 606

Updated 9/17/2018 12:16 PM PDT

1/ The author of the confidential letter accusing Brett Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct when he was in high school has come forward to tell her story. Christine Blasey Ford is a 51-year-old research psychologist in northern California who says Kavanaugh and a friend corralled her into a bedroom in the early 1980s and attempted to sexually assault her. Ford says Kavanaugh pinned her to a bed, groped her over her clothes and attempted to remove her bathing suit. When she tried to scream, she says Kavanaugh put his hand over her mouth. "I thought he might inadvertently kill me," Ford said. "He was trying to attack me and remove my clothing." Ford said she felt a "civic responsibility" to speak out about the Supreme Court nominee. (Washington Post) / CBS News)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2018/09/17/day-606/
4 Likes

McConnell stands firm on getting this vote done, and quick.

@DavidCornDC

David Corn Retweeted John Harwood

Peak hypocrisy.

@JohnJHarwood

McConnell complains that Democrats aren’t following “standard bi-partisan process” and “regular order” on Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court
12:45 PM - 17 Sep 2018

McConnell is key to how this runs…and because of his holding the Merrick Garland vote, he’s never been a favorite with the Dems, needless to say.

2 Likes

Kavanaugh is discussing what he should be doing now with Don McGahn at the WH.

Looks like they got busy with getting more statements in support of Kavanaugh.

A lot of moving parts here w/ the Kavanaugh v Ford, and the Judiciary Committtee w/ all the machinations…Is the hearing going to be public ??

All 10 of the Judiciary Committee’s Democrats signed a letter to its Republican chairman, Sen. Chuck Grassley, asking to delay the Thursday vote on whether to shepherd Kavanaugh out of the committee. Later Monday morning, Sen. Susan Collins of Maine, one of the few Republicans undecided on whether to confirm Kavanaugh, called for both Kavanaugh and Ford to testify under oath before the committee.

Those moves, coupled with calls for delaying the vote by retiring GOP Sens. Bob Corker and Jeff Flake, mean that what Republicans thought would be a swift confirmation is now hanging by a thread.

Grassley said in a statement Monday afternoon that he was attempting to work with Sen. Dianne Feinstein, the ranking Democrat on the Judiciary Committee, to establish follow-up calls, but that Feinstein’s office was refusing to comply.

The more Republicans start to call for a delayed vote, the more likely it is to happen, as the GOP’s Senate majority is slim.

Republicans are also concerned about what action the White House might take. There is an expectation among GOP aides that Trump will go after Ford for accusing Kavanaugh of sexual assault. If Trump were to do so, it could make things even more difficult for Republicans.

Kavanaugh also said he would be willing to cooperate with the Judiciary Committee on any additional material or testimony it might want from him.

“Because this never happened, I had no idea who was making this accusation until she identified herself yesterday,” he added. "I am willing to talk to the Senate Judiciary Committee in any way the Committee deems appropriate to refute this false allegation, from 36 years ago, and defend my integrity."

On Monday, CNN reported that Kavanaugh had hired Beth Wilkinson, an attorney from Wilkinson Walsh Eskovitz, a prominent firm in Washington, DC. Ford is being represented by Debra Katz, who has specialized in sexual-misconduct cases.

2 Likes

And some more damning information…Mark Judge, who was part of the upstairs assault/grope has been writing about his high school times.

He has since said he can’t remember what happened or that it didn’t happen.

Judge told the Weekly Standard that he first learned he was named in Ford’s letter when Ronan Farrow from the New Yorker, who alongside Jane Mayer detailed the allegations against Kavanaugh without naming Ford in a report last week, told him. Judge has backed up Kavanaugh’s emphatic denial of the accusations.

“It’s just absolutely nuts. I never saw Brett act that way,” Judge said.

The Weekly Standard asked Judge if he saw Kavanaugh engaged in any sort of “rough-housing” with a female student in high school, which he also denied. “I can’t. I can recall a lot of rough-housing with guys. It was an all-boys school, we would rough-house with each other,” he said. “I don’t remember any of that stuff going on with girls.”

3 Likes

Yes, it’s funny how Mitch McConnell is suddenly in a huge rush to confirm a Supreme Court nominee. He and his buddies stalled Merrick Garland’s nomination for close to 8 months (235 days) – from March 16, 2016 to November 8, 2016 (election day). That’s when the nomination became moot because Republicans took complete control of congress.

Kavanaugh was nominated on July 10, 2018. Therefore, if we take as long with this nomination process as McConnell did with Garland’s, we have until have until March 2, 2019.

Note to Mitch: Stop hyper-ventilating - just relax and go with the flow until we can be sure we have done this right. If it takes 8 months, so be it. After all, you set the precedent. :wink:

3 Likes

Agreed!!!

I like what David Corn (Mother Jones) of McConnell’s actions now - (above entry)
it’s ‘peak hypocracy.’ on McConnell.

Yes, why rush GOP…?!! Sheer torment holding off Garland.

Hard to get any (real) perspective on this…as the R’s want to ram this nominee through, yet there is some soft pedaling around the edges with “Of course she should testify…” Paraphrasing Kelly Anne’s statements today.

Found another good Political report recap today via Lisa Lerer NYT NYT On Politics Newsletter - subscribe here

Lots of angles…and well, it IS a “#MeToo Missile”

Lisa Lerer’s take on Kavanaugh nomination debacle

Remember last week, when Brett M. Kavanaugh seemed to be on a glide path to becoming a Supreme Court justice?

Well, that’s over.

Mr. Kavanaugh’s confirmation was supposed to be the culmination of two decades of Republican judicial activism, winning the party the biggest prize of all: a conservative majority on the highest court.

Instead, Christine Blasey Ford’s decision to go public with her accusation that Mr. Kavanaugh assaulted her in high school has turned his confirmation battle into a #MeToo missile.

Just before 6 p.m. tonight, members of the Senate Judiciary Committee said that Mr. Kavanaugh and Dr. Blasey will be called before the committee for a public hearing next Monday.

Yes, the story so far seems to be one of he said-she said. But Dr. Blasey’s accusations are potent beyond their specifics because they tap into the biggest debates roiling American life in 2018.

In the Oval Office sits a president who’s been accused of sexual misconduct by multiple women. A series of high-profile sexual harassment scandals have ousted top men in media and Hollywood. The gender gap between the parties stands at an all-time high. And a record number of female candidates are running for office.

It’s quite a political storm to hit just 50 days before the midterms, and Republican strategists tell me they face no good choices.

With the Republican side of the judicial committee consisting entirely of white men, the visuals of the hearing will not be great for the G.O.P. And the risk of a tone-deaf moment going viral seems high.

“Their instincts are not good on this stuff, even when they think they’re being sensitive,” said Katie Packer Beeson, a former deputy campaign manager for Mitt Romney who now runs an all-female political consulting firm.

And then there’s the Trump factor. Even if Republican senators handle Dr. Blasey’s charges with respect, we know the president’s playbook: deny the allegations, attack the accuser.

Democrats see political opportunities, not only to keep the Supreme Court seat open, but to win over the independent suburban women who are crucial to their electoral chances.

“The midterm politics of the Kavanaugh nomination just boomeranged on Republicans,” said Brian Fallon, the head of the liberal activist group Demand Justice, which is leading opposition efforts against Mr. Kavanaugh.

History supports that idea. In 1991, the disrespectful treatment of Anita Hill by the Senate Judiciary Committee led to women winning an unprecedented number of seats in the 1992 election.

Former Sen. Barbara Mikulski, one of just two female senators in office at the time, who pushed for Ms. Hill to testify, had some advice for the committee.

How you treat her with respect is to take it seriously. You also treat Judge Kavanaugh with respect,” Ms. Mikulski told me. “You do an investigation. And then you hold a hearing, not a trial.”

What both sides are saying
There’s a lot being written about how the Senate should handle the accusations against Mr. Kavanaugh. We read through it all to break down the arguments coming from the left and the right.
Liberals have almost universally called for a deeper investigation before the Senate votes to confirm. Here’s what they are saying:

A Supreme Court position is too important to hurry.

The urgency is to investigate, not to rush to confirm a lifetime appointment. Surely a few Republican senators retain enough sense of institutional responsibility to insist on that.” — Ruth Marcus, The Washington Post

Kavanaugh’s honesty is on trial.

“Kavanaugh has denied that he did it … If Ford’s allegation is true, then Kavanaugh has lied to the public.” — Nathan J. Robinson, Current Affairs
Conservatives, meanwhile, are split. While some have echoed the same concerns as their liberal counterparts, many still believe an investigation is not warranted. Here’s what they are saying:

The allegations are too old to be proven.

“There is no way to confirm her story after 35 years … This is simply too distant and uncorroborated a story to warrant a new hearing or to delay a vote.” — Wall Street Journal editorial board

The way Democrats brought the case forward is suspect.

“If Kavanaugh’s confirmation is derailed, the precedent will be set. Whenever the stakes are high enough, the most sinister, underhanded forces of the left will manage to surface an unsubstantiated character-destroying allegation at the most opportune moment.” — Buck Sexton, The Hill

4 Likes

More cherry-picked declassifications. How many times is Nunes going to pull this? It never worked before and it won’t work now.

This meme says it all.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Public hearing on Monday 9/24 with both Kavanaugh and Christine B Ford

AND a FBI review re-opened.
:boom:

YES!

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2018-09-17/the-latest-kavanaugh-accuser-willing-to-talk-to-congress

3 Likes