WTF Community

Day 819

What can the Dems do? Renato Mariotti’s take Is excellent.

What they do with it is in large part a political question. The majority of House Democrats have already concluded that impeachment is not “worthwhile,” Nevertheless, some House members, primarily from the progressive wing of the Democratic Caucus, have indicated they intend to use the full extent of their investigatory powers.

They have plenty to work with. The Mueller report paints a picture of a president who took extraordinary steps to undermine a lawful investigation into him and his associates. Trump fired the FBI director, tried to fire Mueller, asked the FBI director to stop investigating former national security adviser Michael Flynn, tried to persuade Attorney General Jeff Sessions to reverse his recusal and tank the investigation, and tried to influence the testimony of witnesses. Mueller properly rejected all of the defenses to obstruction of justice put forward by Trump’s lawyers. Candidly, as a criminal defense attorney, I cannot see how I would convince a jury that there is reasonable doubt based on these facts.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Sorry I’m replying late… didn’t Barr originally announce he would not share the report with the White House to review before giving it to Congress, but then he went ahead and briefed the White House anyway? I was disappointed (but not surprised) when the news came out he’d been briefing the WH after saying he wouldn’t share the report with them until it was released to Congress. I realize it’s sort of a fuzzy line, but frankly, imho it was improper.

5 Likes