WTF Community

Day 932

1/ The House Judiciary Committee is officially conducting an impeachment inquiry into Trump and will decide by the end of the year whether to refer articles of impeachment to the House floor. In a July court filing to get the full, unredacted Mueller report, the Judiciary Committee argued that it needed the information because it "is conducting an investigation to determine whether to recommend articles of impeachment." Today, chairman Jerry Nadler clarified that "This is formal impeachment proceedings." That timeline would put an impeachment battle in the middle of the Democratic presidential primary contests. (Washington Post / Politico)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2019/08/09/day-932/
4 Likes

Nadler has been saying that for the last 14 days…
:woman_shrugging:t2:

Because

The application acknowledged that the House has not passed a formal resolution telling the committee to open impeachment proceedings, but it insisted that such a step was unnecessary and noted that it has carried out impeachment proceedings against federal judges without taking that step.

“Where, as here, a member has introduced articles of impeachment and those articles have been referred to the committee, the committee is fully empowered to conduct an investigation and exercise any other of its standing authorities,” the filing said.

The New York Times

July 26, 2019 is the first day of the Official Congressional Impeachment Investigation. Today is just the day Nadler clarified it to the media, who missed it the first time. :joy:

Nadler never needed a second vote the first vote was it, according to the ruling by the US Court of Appeals. Big news happened before the President’s racist media attacks and the two mass shootings. It just got buried. I was wondering why no one but me was more jazzed about that… Do I need to help explain more Congressional stuff?

There’s just so much everyday to even follow the threads takes all my vigilance, no one should have to read the news like this to have a clear run down what’s going on everyday. I don’t know how @matt stays sane. This is supposed to be summer recess. :pensive:

3 Likes

An idea being floated for having FCC monitor social media. The WH hates what they call an ‘anti-conservative bias.’

The White House is contemplating issuing an executive order that would widen its attack on the operations of social media companies.

The White House has prepared an executive order called “Protecting Americans from Online Censorship” that would give the Federal Communications Commission oversight of how Facebook, Twitter and other tech companies monitor and manage their social networks, according to a CNN report.

Under the order, which has not yet been announced and could be revised, the FCC would be tasked with developing new regulations that would determine when and how social media companies filter posts, videos or articles on their platforms.

The draft order also calls for the Federal Trade Commission to take those new policies into account when investigating or filing lawsuits against technology companies, according to the CNN report.

Social media censorship has been a perennial talking point for President Donald Trump and his administration. In May, the White House set up a tip line for people to provide evidence of social media censorship and a systemic bias against conservative media.

3 Likes

Trump threatens to retaliate against countries like Japan, Canada, Uruguay that issued travel warnings against visiting the US due to gun violence.

What’s he going to do? Threaten to shoot them? Punish Americans with more tariffs?

DOJ blocked report showing white supremacists responsible for all race-based domestic terrorism incidents in 2018

Donald Trump to become first president to speak at anti-LGBT hate group’s annual summit

‘Homosexual conduct is harmful to the persons who engage in it and to society at large, and can never be affirmed,’ say summit’s host

1 Like

Alleged white supremacists were responsible for all race-based domestic terrorism incidents in 2018, according to a government document distributed earlier this year to state, local and federal law enforcement.

The document, which has not been previously reported on, becomes public as the Trump administration’s Justice Department has been unable or unwilling to provide data to Congress on white supremacist domestic terrorism.

Read this whole story and then read the documents embedded in the story.

3 Likes

An unforeseeable event, surely.

2 Likes

I’m tapping my foot waiting for it to happen

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.