WTF Community

End of the Worst Fucking Year Rant

WTFJHT Rant Word Cloud
Wow, just wow, how can we better support each other?

5 Likes

I don’t either. A lot of this damage cannot be undone.

So this. I too attribute my illness largely to stress caused by this administration.

Think of law abiding blacks, Hispanics, Muslims, gays, trans, disabled, people with preexisting conditions, college students with loans, people who care about the environment, historians, social scientists, women, etc. etc. and everyone else stressed out about Trumpian policies. There’s no question cancer tends to strike after periods of stress. There will be a literal epidemic, but who will connect the dots?

3 Likes

This has been my motto ever since 11-10-16,
“Every day without a mushroom cloud is a great day”
Hang in there the midterms ate coming up.

2 Likes

Am I extremely evil if I admit I am starting to think there are some things worse than mushroom clouds?

Maybe I’m all hyperbole and shit, but the market is a ticking time bomb, consumer protections have been stripped, cuts to the social safety net will impact the economy, and we have 2 generations facing retirement with little or nothing saved.

If I had the choice between dying from a nuke or living into old age without basic health care, shelter, or food, I’d take the nuke.

1 Like

Welcome to 2018, WTFers!

Yeah, 2017 was not a good year.

2016 elected Trump. And killed Prince and Bowie.

2 Likes

I’d have to disagree with your last paragraph.
Food, shelter and healthcare, these things were stripped from the indigenous population of this continent and the one to the south of it 500 hundred years ago, they still put their children’s planet first and above all else…a mushroom cloud would end that hope.
Being pissed is normal in the face of injustice, buts it’s also reactionary. The trick is to ask yourself “what can I do?” SBD are the greatest tools we have at our disposal, no matter how trivial it appears from a sole action, together we snowball.

3 Likes

I agree with your assessment of what Europeans did to the Native Americans.

I’m speaking of what the GOP is doing to the societal gains achieved with the passage of The New Deal, etc., such as Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and Disability.

As for what I can do personally, I am a member of my local INDIVISIBLE, I blog, I tweet factual information, I participate in reader forums, and I vote. I would do more if I were in a decent financial and medical situation.

Here is the thing: this GOP has hold of all 3 branches for at least another 3 years. There is a lot of damage they can do in that time. They have already hobbled Obamacare and passed a budget that will slay the middle class. They now have those New Deal programs in the crosshairs.

Such programs, as well as departments like the Dept. of Health & Human Services and the Department of Education, are exceedingly complex. Their infrastructure goes back decades, and they employ tens of thousands.

Their records are in paper files and computers, as well as in the heads of people. They fill office buildings across America.

If they are discontinued, or even if their beasts are simply starved a little more, they won’t be coming back – at least not in any form as they exist today. Office space will be vacant or inhabited by others. Records will be gone. The financial costs would be astronomical, even if all 3 branches had the will.

Effort on the part of people like you and me might be able to create local relief programs for the most vulnerable. But respectfully, I don’t think I’m being pessimistic. I’m being realistic.

2017 can go diaf as far as I care.

We lost three family members, plus my sweet old cat, and my VW got totalled - though no serious injuries thankfully.
Not to mention a couple of serious bouts of flu, and painful gum surgery.

And that’s not even scratching the surface of how b0rked 2017 was politically.

Bye, Felicia - don’t let the door hit you in the arse on your way out

1 Like

I meant no offense, the diversity in this country includes realities. 40 years ago I pondered why people wake up on their death bed only to realize that they missed the whole point. They spend a life time chasing the dollar, for what?
Can’t take it with you, I looked at what was being withheld from my paychecks, it was painfully obvious to me at 17 that SS was unsusstainable, (that said it can be fixed overnighht by raising the cap, personally I’m in favor of eliminating it), regardless I decided then that I was not going to conform, but I refused to live my life bitter. In short, the rules are written by the rich for the rich, however they are there for anyone to use, (abuse). Knowledge is power, I hate capitalism, certainly won’t defend it, however I wasn’t gonna change it, so I got what I needed outta of it and step out of “their game”.
Don’t get me wrong on social issues, it’s gut wrenching to watch this asshole destroy them, but it is much more disturbing for me to watch what the fucker is doing to our children’s planet, again diversity in priorities.
Also you mentioned you agree on the injustices the “Europeans had done” to the natives, incidentally DT shoved a pipeline up the asses on the Great Sioux Nation on 1-22-17, just 2 days after his coronation. The greatest social injustices in history is that of the Native Americans, it has not stopped.

This followup doesn’t necessary cover the entire year… but its got some great verbage.

3 Likes

2017 made me feel hate…burning seething hate for the lying illegitimate oaf in office, hate & outrage like I’ve never experienced for anyone else and for all he stands for, hate that would make me happy-dance if he somehow was pushed out the window of trump tower, & hate that makes me know I’d never in a million years throw that bastard a life-preserver if I was somehow lucky enough to be fellow passenger on a cruise ship & see him fall over-board.
I know we’re not supposed to be proud of hate but I am, because it means I still care very much that for the moment, our better-than-this nation is led by a traitor & a criminal who can’t be taken down soon enough for me but who I do believe with all my heart IS going down…along with the slime that has enabled this to happen. I believe our country will recover & learn from this & be better for it, and I don’t believe it will take 3 more years before we take out the trash. Happy New Year…the next words are resist, fight, courage and truth.

1 Like

I agree with the first part, but I don’t think this is the end for Democracy. I think our younger generations, more racially-diverse than ever, are getting a first rate education right now of just how precious this country is and what we have to lose. Obviously money is the worst drug there is…many are those who would despoil all of nature for a few dollars more. The roll-backs of environmental protections make me want to scream, because it’s so hard for land to recover from toxic super-fund sites, but we cannot give up. I know it’s stressful: I don’t think it’s just my imagination that more people that I know of have been very ill or have passed away this last year. So please, everyone take good care of yourselves during this fight. Don’t let it be all you think about or live for, but don’t look away either…it’s gonna take the whole damn village+++++ to fix this.

1 Like

It’s damned embarrassing to be an American right now. Other (sane) countries think we’ve gone full-dotard for the foul thing we supposedly elected. (I don’t think we did, & I so hope that comes out in the wash! I’ve also had my fill of the “electoral college”!) I want to throw up every time that commercial for “trumpy-bear” comes on…talk about emoluments & trying to make money every which way from being in office! Totally disgraceful- not only “twittler” but his gang of GOP-traitor-thieves that have enabled this conspiracy by the criminally corrupt “1%” who are trying their best for a kleptocracy here.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear about your dx- I absolutely believe that stress is having a detrimental effect on our health:
more people that I know of have gotten sick, seriously sick, or worse, this last year, and I don’t believe it’s any sort of coincidence. It’s hard to separate the political-crap-fest from our own personal lives, but somehow we have to try & keep some space for our own happiness, “in the moment” stuff & all of that. Hugs & don’t give up!

2 Likes

2017 made me feel FUCKING EXHAUSTED.

And it still fucking does.

I feel SO POWERLESS TO MAKE ANY IMMEDIATE, SIGNIFICANT CHANGE TO THIS FUCKED UP SITUATION.

I have trouble working, trouble sleeping, trouble trying to simply lead a normal life! I’m CONSTANTLY HAVING TO STOP AND FOCUS ON THE MOMENT AND I’M GETTING A LITTLE SICK PRACTICING CONSTANT MINDFULNESS.

At least I can start working on campaigns soon. Hopefully all the decent candidates won’t be FUCKING ROBBED like they were in 2016.

FUUUUUUUUCK!!! I’m so done with these douchebags!!!

5 Likes

Not suggesting that I am going to give up, or that anyone else should.

The next generation might figure out how to restore Democracy, but we don’t have an example to show them.

The day the Supreme Court granted personhood to corporations, Democracy (which had been wounded repeatedly over the years) finally gave up the ghost.

Congresspersons know that if they want to keep their seats through the next election, they must kiss corporate butt even if it goes against the wishes of their constituency. That’s not Democracy.

We need to be realistic about the state of things, or resistance won’t even scratch the surface.

3 Likes

We must find a way to get big money influence out of politics, and you’re right, giving “personhood” to corporations was a very dark day. Many things to fix, so much work to do…

3 Likes

Well, I have to say I really appreciate how strict the President was with commercial air travel (BEST year on RECORD), but I think he fell down on the job in mining (MUCH worse than UNDER OBAMA). Also, in vino veritas. And boy, I wouldn’t like to be Papadopoulis–for the rest of his life, every time he googles himself, he’ll see “Drunken aide” and “brags” associated with his name. Also “coffee boy.” Though obviously that one’s false, or he wouldn’t have had the inside scoop on Russia and HRC, would he? I think we’ll have Trump through this year, at least. I deal with it with activism and dark humor. How about you?

2 Likes

I guess I’m a little more optimistic, I don’t think he will make it through the year. I had this wonderful dream last night, you know the one’s you hope you don’t wake up through, anyways, Trumpty Dumpty, Pence, Bannon, Sessions, Pruitt, DeVos, Mitch McConnell, Paul Ryan and Kelly Ann were all on Air Force One. Well it was flying low and crashed into some Bozo’s golf course. Everyone on the plane was killed except for the pilot, he had some minor injuries. A week later he was released from the hospital and awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, everyone lived happi…and then I woke up. The End

3 Likes