WTF Community

FCC ownership changes + Trump TV's "Real News"

zero fucks given by Ajit Pai about consumers.

3 Likes

I love that I’m plural! jk.

I agree! We should do more as a community to put shit in context. I love @MissJava’s WTF “Book Reports” idea – a sort of ELI5 x an executive summary on a topic. Pretty much the same thing as Current Status: Where we're at with all the storylines

I can provide the platform and audience if somebody wants to lead the charge.

3 Likes

This made me think about Axios – which I’ve found a new appreciation for. I feel like it’s the cliff notes version of Vox at times. However, they can at times lack…focus, I guess you can call it? I do like that they keep it short, sweet and to the point – they usually a section like “why it matters” or links to “go deeper” and “don’t forget”, etc. Also, their graphics team has been killin’ it lately.

Yeah, I really like the Axios model of “value-added curation” (my term, not theirs). It’s sort of an update on the old model of The Week magazine. I don’t read Axios a ton for political news (except when they have a scoop everyone is linking to), but I have been reading them a lot for business stuff.

1 Like

Citing primary sources only works if all parties recognize real facts and not alternative facts. I offer climate deniers as example.

2 Likes

Here’s more on Sinclair media and Trump/Kushner.

A primary source has nothing to do with facts in journalism. It has to do with a person directly involved or present for an event. Whether or not they’re telling the truth is something else entirely.

1 Like

There is much reliance on the populace being too preoccupied with busy lifestyles, earning a living, being the family taxi, grocery shopper, cook, dishwasher and the one who shovels the poop to actually have the energy to take an active interest in educating ourselves about things of such importance and complexity. I see this in a family member and have suggested she stop voting if she doesn’t have time to become informed. Fat chance that will happen.

3 Likes

I suspect the majority of voters do not dig very deep into the issues or candidates. Either voters didn’t dig very deep into The Donald or else they said “it smells but i will take it anyway”.

I think statistically, yes - but based on personal experiences I think it may be skewed (personal opinion/gut intuition though).

Local news is still very important to a majority of households in the US.

5 Likes

Local news viewership is in decline, but it’s still a significant source of information for a ton of people.

According to Pew, for people under 18-29 TV is still the preferred source for over a quarter, that number goes up to half for 30-49 year olds, and the vast majority of people over 49 rely on television for news.

And local TV is still a big part of that mix:

This is important because 1. younger people consume less news in total anyway, so these local broadcasts are still reaching a large portion of actual news consumers, and 2. people over 35 vote more, so, these local news broadcasts are reaching a lot more of likely voters.

Also from Pew, local TV news reach has declined a lot since 2007, but still reaches a huge number of people on a daily basis: http://www.journalism.org/fact-sheet/local-tv-news/

I think it’d be a mistake to discount the significance of Sinclair’s reach.

8 Likes