WTF Community

Harvard CAPS/Harris Poll - A push poll? bias?

I’m curious if anyone has any background info on the reliability of this poll. After seeing it as the source for several polling questions that to me sound very push poll-ish, I googled it. Not sure I’m buying what they are selling.

@xbomb13
Do you have a link to the poll? Maybe we can help you research it a bit. I wouldn’t look too hard at individual polls unless you’re researching a specific topic. Aggregate polling sites like FiveThirtyEight are all a casual political person really need, since they grade all the polls. Good luck!

2 Likes

Is this the poll you’re referring?

1 Like

wow, yes that looks like all of them put together.

1 Like

i don’t think CAPS - Harris meets the definition of a push poll. perhaps you just don’t agree with what they found from surveying ~1,400 voters? i tend to believe polling is more art than science, so it’s best to just accept it as some kind of directional evidence – not gospel.

Some useful information about the poll:

Full poll results will be posted online later this week. The Harvard CAPS/Harris Poll survey is an online sample drawn from the Harris Panel and weighted to reflect known demographics. As a representative online sample, it does not report a probability confidence interval. (The Hill)

4 Likes

Exactly! And that goes for all polling.

I taught statistics at tertiary level a while back and began my career (too long ago to say :blush:) in the Research Branch of our Dept. of Statistics.

Looking at the published results so far - it seems to fall into line with a number of other published polls which are summarised on fivethirtyeight . I note with interest the strong support for Joe Biden as the Democratic Candidate for 2020. Is this nostalgia for the Obama era - or is it it more than that? As an interested onlooker I’m curious. We had a small discussion here in NZ on an online left site just the other day - many were hoping for a progressive candidate. I must say I like some of the policies that Elizabeth Warren has proposed wrt business taking into account worker rights etc. We could do with implementing some of that here. Incidentally there is a Bill going through our Parliament at the moment

The purpose of this bill is to encourage a focus on child poverty reduction, facilitate political accountability against published targets, require transparent reporting on child poverty levels, and create a greater commitment by Government to address child well-being.

This is being sponsored by our PM - we hope the opposition Parties will allso support it into Law.
BTW Matt, many thanks for your excellent and untiring work on this site. It is great work, and a huge benefit to many, not only in your country, but to all of us around the world who yearn for an equitable, peaceful, and sustainable future.
4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I started a 2020 thread, it must be time. Post your favorites so far!

3 Likes

@xbomb13
What makes you think this was a “push poll”? I’m curious.

1 Like