WTF Community

Immigration: issues and policy

Cross-posting. This is good work. Immigration is shaping up to be a big issue in 2020. This is a great place to for candidates to contrast with the President and his expensive cruel policies.

Immigration: Where 2020 Democratic Candidates Stand On Border Crossings And More

(David Bythewood) #222

The Trump regime is deporting Cambodians who fled the Khmer Rouge, & its Cambodian genocide of the late 70s, as children in record numbers, back to a country most have never known.

(David Bythewood) #223

An Asylum Officer Speaks Out Against the Trump Administration’s “Supervillain” Attacks on Immigrants

“The government’s goal now is to turn everyone away, the officer said. That will empty currently crowded detention centers to make room for immigrants who have been picked up in the U.S. interior rather than at the border.”

Asylum officers at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, or USCIS, were reeling after John Lafferty, director of the asylum division, was replaced on Monday by Andrew Davidson, former deputy associate director for USCIS’s fraud detection and national security directorate. Then came the Supreme Court’s ruling Wednesday reinstating the Trump administration’s “third-country” rule, which effectively denies asylum to all Central American immigrants if they passed through another country on the way to the U.S. border with Mexico. It has been a very bad week for defenders of political asylum in the United States.

Lafferty had previously worked as a lawyer at Catholic Charities, an immigrant legal services nonprofit, and the asylum officers who worked under him at USCIS have generally had similar backgrounds. Many are highly educated attorneys who have worked in nonprofits assisting immigrants with asylum claims rather than trying to deport them. Lafferty’s ousting and replacement by a fraud investigator is just the latest development in the Trump administration’s assault on the asylum system, according to a USCIS asylum officer who contacted The Intercept. The asylum officer’s name is being withheld to protect against retaliation.

(David Bythewood) #224

ICE released a lie-filled propaganda letter to the American people:

https://www.ice.gov/statements/enforcement-and-removal-operations-mythbuster

The New Sanctuary Coalition response:

From the border:

"Tried to view “tent courts” in Laredo where migrants are in asylum hearings.

DHS employee at entrance told us NO ACCESS to media or public -even to lawyers that don’t have clients- due to the facility being located at a port of entry.

He said it was a PRESIDENTIAL DIRECTIVE."

NEW:
Women at the Karnes facility, many in need of medical attention, are being shipped out and scattered around the country, forced to leave their children behind!

EDIT 10-7-19:

I can’t post here because I am limited to 3 articles in a row, but lots has happened since that really need to be tracked.

Sorry @Windthin, I’m too spread out lately but you’re correct, immigration is an important topic to maintain.

(David Bythewood) #226

I get it. I’ve mostly been posting these stories in other threads or adding to the posts above myself.

This is also the field I have the longest-running threads on Twitter, so I admit I try to keep up on it even when other issues are over-shadowing it. Moving my recent posts on Venezuela and Remain in Mexico here.

New details of dire conditions for pregnant women under Trump’s ‘Remain in Mexico’ policy

Despite claims of support for Venezuela, the US is blocking asylum claims from them like pretty much everywhere else.

‘Flee as Fast as You Can.’ A Young Couple Joins Venezuela’s Exodus.

Jonathan Morales and Daliana Loyo planned for years to follow family members out of their country; they found how hard it is to leave

Trump administration denies special help to Venezuelans seeking asylum

Despite clarion calls for Venezuelan ‘freedom’ the US has resisted offering Temporary Protected Status to those fearing persecution

The Walkers: Venezuelan migrants travel hundreds of kilometers by foot to cross Colombia-Venezuela border every day.

For many, it’s only the beginning of a grueling journey.

By all means, keep going. It’s important to know.

(David Bythewood) #228

The GOP “rule of law” motto is meaningless.

I Won My Asylum Case, But The Government Still Won’t Release Me

Two months after my baby was born, they put me in a cell. I’m still there 10 months later, even after winning my asylum case.

(David Bythewood) #229

Detaining migrant children grew to a $3.5 billion business last year. Now the Trump administration is shifting some of that work towards the private sector, to a for-profit firm with former WH Chief of Staff John Kelly on its board.

Yeah taxpayer funded. :angry:

(David Bythewood) #231

ICE Moved 700 Women Out Of A Detention Center And Won’t Tell Lawyers Where They Are

Some of the women have serious medical issues, such as cancer or HIV, and lawyers worry they could die in detention without their ability to advocate for better treatment.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ice-moved-700-women-out-of-a-detention-center-and-wont-tell-lawyers-where-they-are_n_5d9cdd55e4b087efdba3fe71?fbclid=IwAR18DBENkvZcgDat9_7AwrfGMDppi6gl4LrXUR3_AVwIa0uOA8lNz86VSEs

(David Bythewood) #232

This asylum seeker was shot in the head. Ice jailed him and gave him ibuprofen

(David Bythewood) #233

Some good news for a change…

Judge blocks Trump rule to deny green cards and visas to low-income immigrants

And more:

Country over party; call out ALL injustice.

$200 Million, Jailed Immigrants and a Democratic Bastion Under Fire

A New Jersey county in one of the bluest regions of the country faces mounting pressure to stop housing detained immigrants in its jail.

Day 994