WTF Community

Immigration: issues and policy

David Begnaud of CBS News on FB live reporting from Texas.

NOW LIVE: I want to tell you about a round table discussion that was held yesterday (6-22-18) in Weslaco, Texas, yesterday. It was set up so that two United States Senators from Texas could hear from and ask question of government heads, and community leaders regarding the immigration crisis —- specifically how migrants are being processed at the border, undocumented immigrants are being treated after they enter the country illegally. The media was invited, but usually these things are just dog and pony shows for the politician to get on camera shaking hands and delivering script remarks. But truth be told, I got more information there, in 30 minutes, than I’ve been able to get in the last six days. Here it is.

1 Like

Due Process for Undocumented Immigrants, Explained

A must read.

1 Like

Excellent explainer on Toxic Stress Syndrome from Harvard. I’ve witnessed what this does to kids.

3 Likes

“I’m embarrassed to ask it, because I don’t know who you would explain it to, unless you think that a 1-year-old could learn immigration law,” Judge John W. Richardson told the lawyer representing the 1-year-old boy.

3 Likes

Pregnant Women Say They Miscarried In Immigration Detention And Didn’t Get The Care They Needed

Pregnant women in immigration detention under the Trump administration say they have been denied medical care, shackled around the stomach, and abused.

In written testimonies — taken by RAICES for their records and provided to BuzzFeed News, and signed by the women under “penalty of perjury,” with the names redacted — two pregnant women held at the Karnes center complained of not being provided with adequate medical care for their pregnancies. On top of this, one said she was given clothes that were so small for her pregnant belly they gave her welts and “pain in [her] uterus”, while the other said she underwent repeated X-rays despite this being against the Food and Drug Administration’s recommendations and against CBP (but not ICE’s) policies for pregnant women. “I saw on the machine that [it said] pregnant women should not have an X-ray,” she wrote.

All the women said they’d been shackled around their hands, legs, and belly while they were in custody. Shackling of pregnant women in their second trimester is prohibited by ICE and CBP’s most recent policies.

1 Like

Miami grandma targeted as U.S. takes aim at naturalized immigrants with prior offenses

WTF, guys? How does this make us safer or our borders stronger? This is just cruel and completely unnecessary.

The United States government has long reserved its power to revoke citizenship for the rarest of cases, going after the likes of war criminals, child rapists and terrorist funders.

Norma Borgono is none of those. The 63-year-old secretary who immigrated from Peru in 1989 volunteers weekly at church, raised two children on a $500-a-week salary and suffers from a rare kidney disorder. But a week after her baby granddaughter came home from the hospital, Borgono received a letter from the U.S. government: The Department of Justice was suing to “denaturalize” her as part of an unprecedented push by the Trump administration to revoke citizenship from people who committed criminal offenses before they became citizens.

Borgono is one of thousands of citizens and legal residents of the United States who may now find themselves subject to denaturalization and deportation for past offenses, some of them committed decades ago.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/immigration/article214173489.html?h_sid=2638f62232-5a8b5d530d5197499c174310#storylink=cpy

3 Likes

Trump Administration Returns to ‘Catch and Release’ of Migrants

WASHINGTON — The government said on Tuesday that it would release hundreds of migrant families wearing ankle bracelet monitors into the United States, effectively returning to the “catch and release” policy that President Trump promised to eliminate.

Faced with a pair of court orders restricting immigration detentions, federal officials said they could not hold all of the migrant families who were apprehended at the southwestern border. They said their hands were tied by dueling requirements to release children from detention after 20 days and also keep them with their parents or other adult relatives.

Confronted by audio of crying children that drew widespread outrage, Trump administration officials also said they had stopped referring migrant adults who enter the United States with children for prosecution.

3 Likes

WOW…forced their hand with the court orders. Damage done, arch positions taken…horror show will continue in some form unfortunately…but Admin was caught red handed, and they got flagged. A turn around of sorts.

2 Likes

@dragonfly9
Trump had to totally flip flop because it’s the only sane thing to do. Nearly everything that the Trump Aministration was proposing either inhumane or violated current law. Total disaster that won’t be forgotten this was on par with the Japanese Internment during WW2.

2 Likes

More tactics to keep immigrants out, and getting legal residents out…

These moves have been paired with a ramp-up in the scrutiny of immigration applications, which makes the NTA policy all the more troubling, says Jennifer Minear, an immigration attorney based in Richmond, Virginia, who specializes in work visas and other employment-based applications. “We had already been seeing upticks in challenges by the government to legitimate petitions, denial of legitimate petitions, and crazy interpretations of the laws,” says Minear. “We’re going to see a lot of people that are being denied that shouldn’t be—it’s the fear and threat of that that’s going to intimidate people from wanting to risk the process at all.”

2 Likes

Two months after having a miscarriage inside an immigrant detention center in the US, E. voluntarily returned to El Salvador, the country she tried to flee for fear of the gang members who raped her two years ago and continue to threaten her to this day.

“I don’t feel safe. I don’t sleep; I don’t have an appetite. I am always on edge that something is going to happen to me or my kids,” she told BuzzFeed News over the phone, in Spanish. “I feel even more in danger than before. … I don’t want to lose the two children I have left.” She’s staying with her mother and still trying to process and mourn her miscarriage.

BuzzFeed News is not disclosing E.’s full name or the names of other people and specific locations because she is currently in danger from gang members and authorities in El Salvador. And Amnesty International says women are often convicted of aggravated homicide after suffering miscarriages.

“It’s a crime to be a woman in this country,” she told BuzzFeed News

2 Likes

Warning contains graphic descriptions of sexual abuse!!

New report from ProPublica :sob:

2 Likes
2 Likes

More allegations of abuse at an immigration detention center. :sob:

1 Like

:astonished:

A federal judge on Monday found that U.S. government officials have been giving psychotropic medication to migrant children at a Texas facility without first seeking the consent of their parents or guardians, in violation of state child welfare laws.

U.S. District Judge Dolly Gee in Los Angeles ordered the Trump administration to obtain consent or a court order before administering any psychotropic medications to migrant children, except in cases of dire emergencies. She also ordered that the government move all children out of a Texas facility, Shiloh Residential Treatment Center in Manvel, except for children deemed by a licensed professional to pose a “risk of harm” to themselves or others.

The judge didn’t buy this explanation, pointing to testimony from children who said they were given pills “every morning and every night.” Officials “could not have possibly” administered medications to children on an emergency basis every day, Gee wrote.

“I witnessed staff members forcefully give medication four times,”
one child held at Shiloh, identified as Isabella M., said. “. . . Two staff members pinned down the girl . . . and a doctor gave her one or two injections.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/07/31/trump-administration-must-seek-consent-before-giving-drugs-to-migrant-children-judge-rules/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b6294b5fb606&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

2 Likes

More confirmation that our immigration system is broken, and mired in politically loaded non-responses. It is the R’s version of Just Say No (to all immigrants.)

This is the harsh reality of asylum seekers who have recently reached our ports of entry and are turned back by U.S. officials, only to wait indefinitely for a chance at refuge in America that may never come. Notwithstanding the recent change in U.S. policy on family separation, the outlook for asylum seekers at the border remains bleak. Despite the Department of Homeland Security’s claim that it’s a “myth” that the U.S. is turning asylum seekers away at ports of entry, our team at the border has witnessed officials doing exactly that.

Consider Laura’s story.

By June 12, 29-year-old Laura and her 6-year-old son Nicolas had been sitting on the hot sidewalk of the Brownsville-Matamoros International Bridge for three days, just 20 feet away from a plaque that marked the international boundary line between Mexico and the United States. Sitting in the shade of a jury-rigged bit of canvas, Laura explained that she had left her native Honduras, intent on escaping her violent husband, a police officer who would beat her with impunity because pleas to her government were ignored. She had made her way through Mexico, heading to Matamoros where she had hoped to cross into the U.S. through a port of entry to apply for asylum.

Laura had heard that the United States had begun separating parents from their children, but she believed that coming through a port of entry would protect her and her son from that new form of government-sanctioned terror. Laura obviously had not heard that she could still have Nicolas taken from her at the port of entry, as has happened to a number of families over this past year.

Laura’s hopes and good intentions ran into a gauntlet formed by three U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers standing just on the U.S. side of that boundary marker. The officers were stopping and turning away anyone who had intended to request asylum from entering the United States.

“They keep telling me to go come back later, that there is no room for people like me (asylum seekers), and that I should try again in five or six hours,” Laura explained. “But I have been here for three days, along with these other people waiting here, and no one gets in.”

2 Likes

Summer camp?

HOUSTON (AP) — A report that a child died shortly after being released from a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement facility in Texas inflamed the debate Wednesday over the detention of immigrant families, though there were few details about what actually happened.

The American Immigration Lawyers Association said it had learned of the death of a child shortly after the child and parent left the ICE family detention center at Dilley, Texas. The legal group said it was made aware of the death through someone in contact with the family it could not identify, and that it had no further details.

ICE spokeswoman Jennifer Elzea said that the agency would investigate the report, “but without any specifics about who this was we are unable to provide anything further at this time.” ICE denied that a child died at the detention center.

Turcios, based in Washington, confirmed to The Associated Press that she wrote the Facebook post Yegani saw, but declined to comment further. Her post said the granddaughter of a friend of hers died "as a result of negligent care and a respiratory illness she contracted from one of the other children."

2 Likes

I hope this is investigated and follow-up is published.

The hardest journey #IconsInJourney

2 Likes

Stephen Miller is engineering this caveat for already legal immigrants, and what is proposed needs no outside approval aside from what the president wants to do. Harsh parameters put on legal immigrants.

Now the Trump administration wants to limit citizenship for legal immigrants

The most significant change to legal immigration in decades could affect millions of would-be citizens, say lawyers and advocates.

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is expected to issue a proposal in coming weeks that would make it harder for legal immigrants to become citizens or get green cards if they have ever used a range of popular public welfare programs, including Obamacare, four sources with knowledge of the plan told NBC News.

The move, which would not need congressional approval, is part of White House senior adviser Stephen Miller’s plan to limit the number of migrants who obtain legal status in the U.S. each year.

Details of the rulemaking proposal are still being finalized, but based on a recent draft seen last week and described to NBC News, immigrants living legally in the U.S. who have ever used or whose household members have ever used Obamacare, children’s health insurance, food stamps and other benefits could be hindered from obtaining legal status in the U.S.

Immigration lawyers and advocates and public health researchers say it would be the biggest change to the legal immigration system in decades and estimate that more than 20 million immigrants could be affected. They say it would fall particularly hard on immigrants working jobs that don’t pay enough to support their families.

1 Like