WTF Community

Impeachment - Pt. 2 - WTF is going on with this trial?

And more confirmation from Sen Tuberville

3 Likes

3 Likes

Day 5 Impeachment hearings-

WItnesses will be called - and of particular interest is Rep Herrera Beutler from WA who discussed the ‘call’ between Rep McCarthy and Trump.

1 Like

And MTG sending out a warning ‘shot’ to Rep Beutler.
Ever disgraceful.

3 Likes
1 Like

Okay so… WHY are we not calling witnesses? Small words please, I have to assume I’m missing something in the fine print here on why Senate Dems are passing on this.

5 Likes

Waste of time, since Mitch has publicly stated he’ll vote to acquit.
Biden wants Senate to focus on his agenda.
Accusation has made their points, convincingly, nothing “new” to expect.
Not really “Move On”, but rather, “let the GQP publicly humiliate themselves” by denying facts.
My impression anyway.

4 Likes

Friend is mad because “they just want their vacation.” Maybe this doesn’t make me as angry because I never labored under the delusion that they would do anything other than acquit?

That said, they had this opportunity and blowing it seems really, really stupid. Really stupid.

5 Likes

Yes, unfortunately, it does give that impression. However as has been said before there is the urgent need to press on with Covid the relief package and other pressing needs. If witnesses were to be called the case could drag on for weeks, and get in the way. At least that is the way I perceive the decision.
The QOP are never going to be persuaded to find him guilty. They have their heads buried deeply in the sand.
There was a need to impeach. T’s actions over the past 6 months or so, have been unconscionable and way beyond the pail. But there is an even more pressing need to getting America back to some form of normality.

3 Likes

The GOP wants to draw this out; more time spent on it means less time spent on Biden agenda items. Anything more won’t change things and will let them grandstand, so it’s time to move forward. I wish we DID have time to call all the witnesses, but this is not that moment, and the GOP knows it.

4 Likes

Done.

Unfortunately, as predicted.

Statement from Sen Burr

3 Likes

4 Likes
4 Likes

He is NOT going away

Reposting here…seems like what the future will hold

3 Likes

WTF is up with Sen McConnell…???

Why did you not vote guilty???

4 Likes

Time to Reconsider the 14th Amendment for Trump’s Role in the Insurrection

3 Likes

4 Likes

McConnell is a piece of work the likes of which I hope we never, ever see again.

5 Likes

@celena

McConnell is a piece of work the likes of which I hope we never, ever see again.

Yes two-faced doesn’t begin to describe the man.

Good article on the subject here:

The House impeached Trump for a second time in his final days in office, but McConnell delayed starting the Senate trial until after Joe Biden was sworn in.

McConnell said the Senate was not meant to serve as a “moral tribunal” and said Trump could still be open to criminal prosecution.

“President Trump is still liable for everything he did while he’s in office,” McConnell said. “He didn’t get away with anything yet.”

House majority leader Nancy Pelosi criticized McConnell’s remarks in a press conference on Saturday and said the issue of timing “was not the reason that he voted the way he did; it was the excuse that he used.”

“For Mitch McConnell – who created the situation where it could not have been heard before the 20th, or even begun before the 20th in the Senate – to say all the things he said, oh my gosh, about Donald Trump and how horrible he was and is, and then say, ‘But that’s the time that the House chose to bring it over’ — Oh, no. We didn’t choose. You chose not to receive it,” Pelosi said.

Pelosi was also critical of the “cowardly” Republicans who voted against impeachment after the attack.

“I salute the Republican Senators who voted their conscience and for our Country,” Pelosi said. “Other Senate Republicans’ refusal to hold Trump accountable for igniting a violent insurrection to cling to power will go down as one of the darkest days and most dishonorable acts in our nation’s history.”

She repeated that members of the mob chanted “hang Mike Pence,” referring to the vice president’s role in overseeing the electoral count.

“And they just dismissed that.” Pelosi said. “Why? Because maybe they can’t get another job. What is so important about any of one of us? What is so important about the political survival of any of one of us than our constitution that we take an oath to protect and defend?”

my bold

4 Likes

I believe he is nearly as much to blame as Trump is, so it’s no wonder he wants to avoid the conclusion that a politician can be held accountable. Gotta make sure he goes on about Trump some more though, and maybe we’ll forget how strongly McConnell enabled him.

1 Like