WTF Community

Mentionable News

She looks worn down to me…perhaps waaaay too cynical in her early 80’s, and beaten down by politics.

Climate change does feel desperate I agree. I want kids to send a message…but you are right, she does not do a good job addressing them.

3 Likes

Yes! She finally gets it!

“I fully support the federal government doing far more to live up to its existing trust and treaty responsibilities and that includes a robust discussion about historical injustices against Native people," she added. "Tribal nations have a government-to-government relationship with the federal government, and they deserve a seat at the table in all decisions that will affect the well-being of their people and their communities."

3 Likes

Trump is paying off his base with our money. These payments are undoubtedly designed to keep his base on board (and quiet) while they’re being hammered by his misguided tariff war.

4 Likes

WTF :exploding_head: WTF :scream: WTF :exploding_head: WTF :tired_face:

The polarization is so deep…and creeping into the norm, and raising it’s ugly head in the age of T, ‘both-sides,’ and am emboldened radical groups.

On the flip side, we have a more engaged press who keeps our eyes on them, and potential to check them legally. Notwithstanding, these groups are more dangerous than the jihad element that gets way more fear mongering.

Sad state of affairs indeed.

The number of hate groups in the United States rose for the fourth year in a row in 2018, pushed to a record high by a toxic combination of political polarization, anti-immigrant sentiment and technologies that help spread propaganda online, the Southern Poverty Law Center said Wednesday.

The law center said the number of hate groups rose by 7 percent last year to 1,020, a 30 percent jump from 2014. That broadly echoes other worrying developments, including a 30 percent increase in the number of hate crimes reported to the F.B.I. from 2015 through 2017 and a surge of right-wing violence that the Anti-Defamation League said had killed at least 50 people in 2018.

Trump has made people in the white supremacist movement move back into politics and the public domain,” Ms. Beirich said. “He is a critical aspect of this dynamic, but he is not the only reason why the ranks of hate groups are growing. The ability to propagate hate in the online space is key.”

The center said in a statement that most hate groups in the United States espoused some form of white supremacist ideology, including neo-Nazis, the Ku Klux Klan, neo-Confederates and white nationalists. It said the number of white nationalist groups jumped by almost 50 percent, to 148 in 2018 from 100.

That report said that right-wing extremism was linked to every extremist-related killing the group tracked in 2018, at least 50, and that jihadist groups were linked to none. It said that made 2018 the deadliest year for right-wing extremism since the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, Virginia did not pass the ERA Amendment. :unamused:

RICHMOND — The Republican-controlled House of Delegates killed Democrats’ last-ditch efforts to pass the Equal Rights Amendment on Thursday, as advocates promised retribution at the ballot box.

Democrats had hoped to use procedural measures to force Republicans to take a floor vote on the amendment for the first time. After the effort failed, ERA opponents in the gallery overlooking the chamber clapped.

Then an ERA supporter, also in the gallery, shouted, “Shame on Virginia!”

4 Likes

Adrienne Cobb…on Vice News (HBO)

who does the weekly recap…is profiled tonight 2/25/19

5 Likes

She’s here as @rusticgorilla :hugs:

6 Likes

Link to full interview

https://youtu.be/MViO5RowDxk

5 Likes

But for Cobb, keeping track of Mueller’s work is about helping others feel less “helpless” in a wilderness of fast-paced, complex news that doesn’t always add up. She calls herself an “aggregator,” which seems simple enough, but it’s tough work. She checks Twitter and Reddit three times an hour for new, relevant reporting, and saves links to those articles with the program, Evernote. Meanwhile, news of every White House departure goes in a separate spreadsheet that she’ll refer to in order to update her website, 45Chaos, which notes in granular detail every staffer who’s left; whether and why they quit, resigned, or resigned under pressure (“R-UP”); the length of their tenure, measured in “mooches,” a metric born in Trump’s White House after Anthony Scaramucci’s brief stint. (She goes by 10 days, not 11, though there’s a debate over how long he lasted as White House communications director.)

5 Likes

Cohen Congressional Testimony

I’ve searched a bit for the right news piece to reference this post but didn’t find what I wanted. After listening to portions of this, I walked away needing a shower. My take away was “I wouldn’t want to be in business with any of these people”, GOP or Dems. It was about political grandstanding and getting the GOP back for the Benghazi debacle. The hearings made me sad. This is what our political system has boiled down to, politicians needing “fixer lawyers”. Cohen manipulated the truth for Trump, then the GOP chastises him for manipulating the truth and works to destroy him in front of their base, saying “he can’t be trusted, we asked him to lie, what he’s saying now is a lie”. What a cluster f$#k. I’m interested in others reaction to this mess on display today.

1 Like

It’s been a constant barrage of unbelievably bad, sordid, deceitful news.

Rinse, wash, repeat.

We’ve been hearing and witnessing this type of low-life news for over 2 years.
I agree with your assessments…just don’t want to give any more power to their bufoonery by identifying the players.

We know who is upstanding, thoughtful, moral and intent on improving our lives, rather than the opposite.

Persist

1 Like

I disagree with this one point. Benghazi was a tragedy and unlike what happened today, President Obama wasn’t accused of actual criminal actions. Democrats are not doing this to “get back” at the Republicans. This is what proper congressional oversight looks like and the fact that we haven’t seen this in two years should make you sick.

All the Benghazi congressional committees found that there was no wrong doing and there wasn’t any way of preventing the attack from happening.

Benghazi: Everything you need to know - Vox17a8d5x

Kevin McCarthy is quoted as saying,

“Everybody though Hillary Clinton was unbeatable, right?” McCarthy asked. “But we put together a Benghazi special committee, a select committee. What are her numbers today? Her numbers are dropping. Why? Because she’s untrustable. But no one would have known any of that had happened, had we not fought.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/09/30/boehners-likely-successor-credits-benghazi-committee-for-lowering-hillary-clintons-poll-numbers/?utm_term=.6628c756d31f

3 Likes

I agree. Get back to normal as chairman Cummings wanted.

I believe there were 7 separate Benghazi inquiries and NONE of them proved a thing.

And to McCarthy ‘untrustable’ does not sound like a real word, just a ‘pretendable’ slam (!)

3 Likes

Getting back to normal is a good objective. Whatever “normal” might be. I agree that the Benghazi incident was tragic, the loss of life is always tragic.

1 Like

Israel’s attorney general announced Thursday that his office had indicted Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on corruption charges after a two-year investigation.

The prime minister faces one count of bribery and two counts of fraud and breach of trust.

Police have previously recommended indicting Netanyahu for bribery, fraud and breach of trust in three different cases.

Police recommended an indictment in the case based on evidence collected that confidants of Netanyahu promoted regulatory changes worth hundreds of millions of dollars to Bezeq. In exchange, they believe Netanyahu used his connections with Elovitch to receive positive press coverage on Bezeq’s popular subsidiary news site, Walla. Police have said their investigation concluded that Netanyahu and Elovitch engaged in a "bribe-based relationship."

Who else does that sound like?

4 Likes

Never underestimate the General Public’s interest or knowledge in many big and small things.

4 Likes

Which begs the question for the best sources for learning about the Constitution. I know I’ve needed to brush up on some of the amendments & in this day & age, many need the Constitution for Dummies book.

5 Likes

Now, Dershowitz wants to curb the press when the Epstein’s documents will be revealed. Wonder which names will be exposed there…perhaps T, definitely Dershowitz

An attorney for lawyer Alan Dershowitz wrote a letter to the U.S. District Court Second Circuit of Appeals on Tuesday, asking whether the media should be excluded from the proceeding because his oral arguments on behalf of his client could contain sensitive information that has been under seal.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article226922729.html#storylink=cpy

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article226922729.html

3 Likes

This is actually really exciting because this could be achieved within a few years. Most of the energy produced in Washington State already comes from carbon-free renewable sources. This is the future.

The Washington State Department of Commerce tracks the fuel mixes used by the more the 60 electric utilities in the state. The agency’s most recent tabulation shows that hydroelectric power generates two-thirds of electricity used by customers in Washington today. Adding in wind, nuclear, solar and other renewable generation raises the non-emitting share of Washington electricity sources to about 75 percent.

Fossil fuel-derived electricity currently comes from coal at 13 percent, natural gas at 11 percent and a marginal amount of oil.

Washington state is one of at least nine states considering 100 percent clean electricity generation measures in their legislatures this winter, according to the advocacy group Environment America. California and Hawaii previously passed 100 percent emissions-free electricity targets into law.

(…)

The only coal-fired electric power plant in Washington — TransAlta’s Centralia plant — has already agreed to stop burning coal by 2025. That means the December 2025 deadline to eliminate coal from Washington’s electric grid would mainly apply to electricity imports from out-of-state coal power plants.

Washington’s two biggest private utilities, Puget Sound Energy and Avista, take electricity from a large, co-owned coal-fired power plant in Colstrip, Montana.

Under pressure from climate activists, PSE has been pondering early retirement of at least some units of the Colstrip power plant. Avista’s current resource plan foresees Colstrip operating cost effectively well into the 2030s. Some Montana legislators who are worried about losing well-paid rural jobs at Colstrip have lobbed accusations of extraterratorial meddling at their Washington state counterparts.

6 Likes

This is exciting. I live semi-rural in the state & keep wondering if/when I could generate my own power in order to be self sufficient. Unfortunately, I live in the red part of the state, so I imagine that all kinds of roadblocks will be put up. But we really need to have these ideas, goals, & conversations.

4 Likes