WTF Community

Mentionable News

Of interest to watch. This story is unfolding as part of Donnie’s trade war. Kurt Eichenwlad has noted that the threat China delivered recently is one that many are watching nervously.

"The most important story of the day, the week and possibly the month is being largely overlooked in the wake of Mueller. China has just made one of the most terrifying declarations it ever has regarding the USA. If they arent bluffing, things are about to get very very ugly.

In an editorial in the People’s Daily - the organ of Chinese government, whose words reflect the policies of its leaders - it issued huge threats against the USA, along with the phrase that basically translates into “Don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

That has enormous import. This is not some throwaway line in China. This has huge historic import. It has been used only a few times in the official Chinese media, and always as a declaration of major threats. In 1962, it was used just before China went to war with India. The next time, in 1979, it was used before violence in Vietnam.

The times its been used against the West? I think it may be now. I certainly don’t know of any others. In the same editorial, China said it would restrict the import of “rare earths.” Again, that might sound odd. What it means is the standard name used in China for certain minerals it exports to the US, and as a major supplier, this cannot be replaced. These minerals are vital to the tech and defense industries. Essentially, they are proclaiming they are prepared to cripple major industries.

While the political world might be missing this, the stock market is not. This is the reason the market is collapsing. Now, you CANNOT read the importance of this off of the market. The entire issue is whether the Chinese are bluffing. Wall Street may decide they are, but what Wall Street believes is irrelevant. It is only what China intends.

#DimwitDon has, through his incompetence and arrogance, placed our economy and major industries in the hands of China. And if they pull the trigger, it will be ugly. This trade war is, was, & always will be stupid. There is a REASON why GOP was viscerally opposed to trade wars until they sold their soul to #DimwitDon. No, you effing moron, trade wars are not easy to win. And they can escalate very very suddenly in ways that are crippling."

1 Like

Yeah there’s no walking this back…

Commenting on Chambers’ post, a Facebook user seemed to agree with him: "By giving the minority more rights than the majority. I hate to think of the country my grandkids will live in unless somehow we change and I think that will take a revolution.

The mayor was pragmatic on his response: “The only way to change it would be to kill the problem out. I know it’s bad to say but without killing them out there’s no way to fix it.

He thought was a private message… Even if it was private, he’s still calling for violence. WTF?!

2 Likes

Robert Downey Jr. has been possessed by the spirit of Tony Stark, and I approve.

Someone’s FOIA came through on the FBI Big Foot files. Too funny. :joy:

https://vault.fbi.gov/bigfoot/bigfoot-part-01-of-01/view

3 Likes

They truly are our future.

One appellate court judge was impressed enough Tuesday by the case brought by 21 children, some now adults, suing the U.S. government over climate change that he said it may show criminal neglect.

3 Likes

Frightening and necessary reading concerning the mechanics of global climate change and polar ice cap melting.

Why Our Intuition About Sea-Level Rise Is Wrong

A geologist explains that climate change is not just about a global average sea rise.

5 Likes

Why Our Intuition About Sea-Level Rise Is Wrong

Fascinating! Plus, it shows you how far the science of climate change has advanced.

5 Likes

It is, isn’t it? Taking all these seemingly esoteric pieces, looking at gravity and water dispersal and Roman fish containers, it’s amazing.

3 Likes

Trump admin tells U.S. embassies they can’t fly pride flag on flagpoles

The administration is rejecting requests from U.S. embassies to fly the rainbow flag on flagpoles during June, LGBTQ Pride Month, say 3 U.S. diplomats.

Apparently this began in 2018 after embassies flew the rainbow flag in response to the Orlando night club shooting. How petty:
https://govtrackinsider.com/old-glory-only-act-would-prevent-rainbow-flags-from-being-flown-at-u-s-embassies-ba1d18631d93?gi=e04f7ec32b9b

2 Likes

:nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face:

Please tell me this is real.

1 Like

It’s from The Hill, so I don’t know. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Speaking of…

The golden era of telemarketing — when the Trump Administration turned a blind eye to “no call list” regulations and technology made mass calling much easier- is, thankfully, near the end.

FCC votes to allow phone carriers to block robocalls by default

2 Likes

I think it is real…I got switched to Fox today and someone from Boston was blabbing about how ‘special’ to have Milo in there…to play the Straight element up…despite the fact he is not straight.

Amping up crazy angles as per usual.

1 Like

Misogyny is a gateway to right-wing extremism and white supremacists.

He always hated women. Then he decided to kill them.

Male supremacy is a hatred that experts in extremism warn is becoming more common and more dangerous, providing what amounts to a new feeder network for white supremacy and neo-Nazi groups.

Misogyny is being stoked within hundreds of online chat rooms and forums, echo chambers of grievance that drive some men to cyberbullying and a far smaller number to violence.

Misogyny is a key element of white supremacy, Anti-Defamation League report finds – ‘Misogyny has the potential to act as a gateway into the white supremacist world,’ NGO says.

Does this surprise anybody?

3 Likes

Not a bit. Misogyny is super common, though it’s often subtle, it’s also ever present.

4 Likes

Department Of Education Wasted $1 Billion On Failed Charter Schools

A new report issued by the Network for Public Education provides a detailed accounting of how charter schools have scammed the U.S. Department of Education’s Charter Schools Program (CSP) for up to $1 billion in wasted grant money that went to charters that never opened or opened for only brief periods of time before being shut down for mismanagement, poor performance, lack of enrollment, or fraud. The report also found many of the charters receiving grant awards that managed to stay open fall far short of the grant program’s avowed mission to create “high-quality” schools for disadvantaged students.

2 Likes

Trump called in in CNBC to threaten the Chamber of Commerce in Mafioso fashion fro daring to defy his Mexico tariffs

“I’m a member of the U.S. Chamber. Maybe I’ll have to rethink that…”

1 Like

Solid article showing who Donnie is.

An Oral History of Trump’s Bigotry

His racism and intolerance have always been in evidence; only slowly did he begin to understand how to use them to his advantage.

Well, this is interesting. It looks like one of Donnie’s account management people accidentally posted a link to his account that they weren’t supposed to. It disappeared almost instantly.

EDIT: So I was wrong. He DID mean to post the article… so he could whine about the Fed in a nonsensical, bizarre rant: “This is because the Euro and other currencies are devalued against the dollar, putting the U.S. at a big disadvantage. The Fed Interest rate way to high, added to ridiculous quantitative tightening! They don’t have a clue!”

Can anybody tell me what the hell he’s talking about here?

FFS, he did it again.

2 Likes

I have no idea what he’s talking about. He sounds like every other MAGA troll who thinks he understands how the economy works. They just link various financial phrases together to sound smart, even though what they’re saying doesn’t make any fucking sense.

5 Likes