WTF Community

Mentionable News

Gah.

Farmers in deep despair…suicide rates very high. The farmers can not sustain their farms. So very sad.

It was a very dark Saturday night in the middle of the summer in the middle of a year that is on track to be the wettest in more than a century. The wind blew over the farm, the rain came down and she heard the ominous pings on her roof — pea-sized hail, striking the still-fragile stalks of the only corn her husband, Chris Dykshorn, was able to plant before he took his own life in June.

Did their crop insurance cover hail damage? She had no idea. That was something Chris would have taken care of, if he were here. Instead she was alone, with nearly $300,000 in farm debt, three kids ages 5 to 13 and a host of grief-fueled questions. Why hadn’t she been able to save him? What would happen to them now?

She scrolled through his final texts, rereading his words, leaning on the kitchen counter next to a whiteboard with the kids’ chore list — Kahne: dishwasher, Kalee: dust living room — and a book someone gave her titled “Through a Season of Grief: Devotions for Your Journey from Mourning to Joy.”

I’m struggling so bad today. I don’t know what to do anymore,” he texted on May 31. “I seriously don’t know how we r gonna make it.”

On June 1: “I just want to sit in the house and cry.”

And then: “What am I supposed to do. I am failing and feel like I’m gonna lose everything I’ve worked for the past how many years.”

2 Likes

Yes, thank you for your service… :statue_of_liberty:
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/veterans-day-holds-special-meaning-for--year-old-battle/article_ca2843e7-ab42-5fbc-912f-be2688086b4e.html

FERGUSON — Adolphus Watson remembers the day during World War II when a young German civilian asked him why he was fighting so hard for a country that treated black people so poorly.

Watson, who is black, was stationed in Germany at the time with the 351st Field Artillery Unit, a segregated unit. The man told Watson that he had lived in the United States for about 12 years and “knew what went on there,” recalled Watson, now 100 years old.

“We knew deep down in our heart that one day, one day I would feel like I do today,” he said, his voice barely above a whisper. “But it wasn’t as easy as I thought it was going to be.”

Watson recalled the moment during a recent interview at his home in Ferguson, as one of his favorite holidays — Veterans Day — approached.

For Watson, it’s a day that reminds him how far the country he fought for has come. He usually spends it dining with his son, Byron “Sarge” Watson, a Vietnam War veteran, at restaurants that serve meals to veterans for free. He sits where he pleases — the segregated seating he grew up with is now another memory.

3 Likes

Sound familiar?

5 Likes

Coverage of the Veteran’s Day parade. T stayed at Madison Square Garden and delivered his speech. But the divisions are clearly marked.

3 Likes

Conway…taking the next step, to go on live TV - MSNBC to discuss impeachment hearings. He is part of a Conservative group called Checks and Balances…

2 Likes

Yes, golden opportunity for that question - What about Syria, friend?

4 Likes

At least a silver lining in this horror show with Epstein, his sudden death and all his victims who were awaiting justice to be served on him. The 911 lawyer, Ken Feinberg who helped decide how to compensate families of the 911 victims is chosen to distribute funds to all the women who were abused by Epstein.

A famed lawyer who distributed money to the families of 9/11 victims and survivors of priest abuse will now do the same for those abused by sex fiend financier Jeffrey Epstein.

Ken Feinberg will help oversee a “voluntary claims resolution program” to distribute portions of Epstein’s $577 million estate to women victimized by his international sex trafficking scheme. The proposal requires the approval of a judge in the U.S. Virgin Islands, where Epstein’s will is filed.

“We are pleased to have been asked to implement this important program, and are eager to begin designing it so that claimants will have a forum where their suffering is acknowledged and their claims are promptly and appropriately compensated,” Feinberg said in a release.

Feinberg, a widely respected lawyer, has said that victims compensation programs offer a quick, confidential way to obtain closure that avoids lengthy, emotionally exhausting litigation.

4 Likes

Mother Nature has a glorious sense of poetic justice.

Italian council in Venice is flooded immediately after rejecting measures on climate change

3 Likes

Just because this is such idiocy…

Trump complains, and Jared wants her out, as George Conway fires fierce salvos at the president and parties with Kathy Griffin and Paul Krugman. But he still loves Kellyanne, sources say. “He’s going through a tough time,” says one.

Yesterday morning, George made a rare on-air appearance on MSNBC, where he launched broadsides at Trump shortly before William Taylor and George Kent testified in the House. “I’m horrified. I’m appalled,” George told hosts Nicolle Wallace and Brian Williams, referring to Trump. “If you had told me three years ago it would come to this, I wouldn’t have believed this. I don’t think I could have imagined a president, any president, engaging in this sort of conduct.”

According to three sources close to George, his relationship with Kellyanne has, not surprisingly, become increasingly distant as impeachment has gained steam. “He tells people she’s in a cult,” a Republican who has spoken frequently with George told me. “It’s not going to get better until she’s cast out of the cult,” another person close to George said

3 Likes

:roll_eyes: idiocy is right.

5 Likes

Marie Yovanovitch was honoring a slain Ukrainian anti-corruption activist when she was fired to make way for Trump’s alleged corruption

www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/11/15/she-was-told-leave-ukraine-us-ambassador-was-honoring-anti-corruption-activist-who-died-after-acid-attack

This is the heartbreaking story of the Ukrainian anti-corruption activist, Kateryna Handziuk, who died in hospital several months after being attacked with acid. It is a bitter truth that the former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine, Marie Yovanovitch, was asked to leave her post at the very moment she was honoring this courageous woman who died a horrible death as she fought corruption.

Trump has claimed he wanted to fight corruption in Ukraine, but the impeachment hearings are revealing that he didn’t care about corruption in Ukraine at all; he only cared about Ukraine smearing his political rival, Joe Biden. He actually removed Ambassador Yovanovitch, who has built a reputation on rooting out corruption, in order to clear the way for his own corrupt schemes. His actions in Ukraine are a disgrace: He has dishonored both Marie Yovanovitch and Kateryna Handziuk. :pensive:

Marie Yovanovitch, former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine, told an impeachment hearing Friday that when she received a phone call on April 25 telling her to leave Kyiv, she was at that moment honoring a late anti-corruption activist who had been attacked with acid.

“I was hosting an event in honor of Kateryna Handziuk, who is an anti-corruption activist — was, an anti-corruption activist — in Ukraine. We had given her the ‘Woman of Courage’ award from Ukraine,” Yovanovitch told the Democratic Counsel Daniel Goodman.

Handziuk was 33 when a man threw sulfuric acid on her in front of her house in Kherson, a city in southern Ukraine, on July 31, 2018. She suffered burns over 30 percent of her body in the attack and succumbed to her injuries on Nov. 4 of that year.

A journalist and an official with the Kherson city council, Handziuk had been a persistent critic of corruption in Ukraine, highlighting alleged problems within the police and the Ministry of Internal Affairs.

She continued to speak out from her hospital bed, telling Hromadske TV in September that though her injuries made her look bad, she thought she looked “much better than fairness and justice” in Ukraine, “because they are not treated by anybody.”

At the event in Kyiv in April, Yovanovitch said “Kateryna paid the ultimate price for her fearlessness in fighting against corruption and for her determined efforts to build a democratic Ukraine.”

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/SenateDems/status/1195421699170283520

2 Likes

I do not know this portends…but Benjamin Wittes may be feeling a rather large BOOM :boom: is about to take place…soon. Unusual to see this…

Any guesses?

Here are mine…
This Bolton story tells us that Bolton could be close to spilling the beans now that his book contract has been signed.

Or T is staging that Medical exam in order to resign…since the idea of being impeached is unfathomable to him.

The Anonymous book…‘A Warning’ may topple his ego some more…

https://twitter.com/benjaminwittes/status/1196067266447757314?s=19

4 Likes

Inquiring minds want to know…

2 Likes

Here’s T leaving for Walter Reed on Saturday. Still a lot of questions as to the need for this…was it an emergency? T has not been seen for the past couple of days, despite his tweets.

3 Likes

Yes…what is the real cause of Epstein’s death?

Am including it here…b/c have reached 3 for Mentionables.

Epstein’s connection with powerful men, including T makes this national news.

Two corrections officers responsible for guarding Jeffrey Epstein on the night in August when he was found hanging in his jail cell were charged on Tuesday with failing to do their jobs and then covering up their dereliction.

Tova Noel and Michael Thomas, officers at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Manhattan, were charged with making false records and conspiring to interfere with the functions of the federal prison.

Noel, 31, and Thomas, 41, failed to check on Epstein every half hour as required, the indictment says, and falsified logs to make it appear they had in fact been monitoring the Palm Beach multimillionaire and sex offender on Aug. 9 and 10.

The nation’s top prison administrator, Kathleen Hawk Sawyer, told committee members, who expressed skepticism about the official cause of death, that FBI agents are looking at the possibility that a “criminal enterprise” played a role in that death.

Sawyer, who became director of the Federal Bureau of Prisons after the previous director was summarily shipped out after Epstein’s death, was taking questions when Sen. Lindsey Graham, a South Carolina Republican and chairman of the committee, asked about the FBI investigation.

4 Likes

just replying for a workaround…post away!

3 Likes

thx @MissJava for bringing it back to mentions…:smile:

3 Likes

I think it is a happy sight to see this koala rescue…good people helping those in need.

It is mentionable because it “Here, right matters”…(See Vindman’s quote that he got an audience applause.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHGgKRDHHvU

2 Likes