WTF Community

Mentionable News

I don’t normally post my Twitter threads here, but I feel the need to show something. This recent story about Trump wanting to withdraw from our Japan alliance, coupled with his attacks on the US offering protection in the gulf, are part of a much larger trend of Trump treating foreign policy like one big protection racket:

2 Likes

He has no idea of History and the reason Japan relies on the US for defence - ignorance is not always bliss.

Japan’s current constitution was written in 1947 under the auspices of the American forces deployed to occupy and rebuild Japan after World War II. The new constitution celebrated goals of peace and democracy; as John W. Dower says in his Pulitzer Prize-winning book on postwar Japan, Embracing Defeat , the document was the “crown jewel of the [American] reformist agenda.”

Article Nine explicitly forbade Japan from maintaining a military or from using force internationally for any reason. It permitted only a narrow self-defense operation, which was founded in 1954 as the SDF. Dower argues that fatigue and disillusionment with wartime nationalism made the Japanese readily willing to accept this doctrine. Much in agreement with General Douglas MacArthur, the leader of the American forces in Japan, they envisioned a “Switzerland of the Far East”—a nation that would make its way by finance, not force.

4 Likes

Indeed. His whole understanding of foreign policy is simplistic, and still rooted in the 80s and earlier. He basically has two rules:

1. They should pay us,
  2. Get as much as you can from them,
1 Like

It should be noted here that what was a relatively minor Japanese SDF (Self Defence Force) has over recent years expanded quite substantially. However, this is understandable in view of the expansion of a least two traditional major “threats” in the region North Korea, and China into the South China Sea.

2 Likes

Good…the less from them the better

2 Likes

This travesty of justice was brought to you by some of Trump’s “best people.”

Jeffrey Epstein plea deal must stand, prosecutors tell sex abuse victims

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article231916968.html

N.R.A. Shuts Down Production of NRATV, cuts ties with Dana Loesch’s company

1 Like

Sen Angus King (ME - I) is a very fair-minded Senator as well as a wonderful photographer…check out his link where he describes the isolation members of the Senate/Congress feels because of their short ‘work’ week in DC. The other days they go home to fundraise and travel which gives one little time to get to know one another. Just another factor which contributes to partisan bickering.

1 Like

What is wrong with Florida? This is why so many women wind up dead at the hands of their abusers! All too often, the state sides AGAINST victims! This is what happens when guns have more rights than people do!

Fearing Her Husband, She Took His Guns To Police. They Arrested Her.

Joseph Irby allegedly rammed his wife’s car off the road. She ended up behind bars.

PS: I can’t get this link to work

1 Like

I can’t get this link to work

I go back to the edit function and make sure I leave enough spaces in between the last sentence written…then the hyperlink…then make sure you add some more spaces. When you see the swirling ball, you know it will be made into a boxed link.

Just my 2 cents… @Windthin :grin:

UPDATE - Hmmmm I see what you have possibly…if it was linked via twitter, there are a bunch of add-ons…so I also try to source it differently…google it separately.

Your link

Googled link

UPDATE 2 - OK I dunno…maybe @Pet_Proletariat can save the day!:joy:

1 Like

Huff post, WaPo and Bloomberg links have a hard time creating a preview on this forum. It’s something on their end I believe and the bane of my existence.

2 Likes

Yeah, all three of those I’ve noticed are hit or miss for me.

1 Like

Actual headline.

Actual story.

Okay, can’t get FT’s links to work right, appears to be an issue on their end.

1 Like

:roll_eyes:
Trump tells CNN reporter that what he speaks about with Vladimir Putin is “none of your business.”

3 Likes

Well, how nice of them to admit they won’t even bother to hold them accountable.

Twitter Will Put Warning Labels On Tweets From World Leaders That Break Its Rules

In a move to “protect the health of public conversation,” the social media company will allow violative tweets from world leaders to remain on its platform, but with warnings.

2 Likes

When Twitter didn’t enforce their rules against 45, I deleted my account. I see no good reason to reward bad behavior.

2 Likes

And this is why we fought when they said the same about refusing to serve LGBTQ people; give them an inch on this, they’ll take the whole racist xenophobic hateful mile.

19% of Americans say small businesses should be able to refuse service to Jews

Survey investigates support for denying services to minority groups if doing so would violate owners’ religious beliefs; 30% support denying

1 Like

Trump Jokes to Putin They Should ‘Get Rid’ of Journalists

Russian journalists are regularly assassinated.

Seems I am not the only one who heard about this and immediately thought back to 2008’s attacks on Obama.

A New Racist Campaign Against Kamala Harris Is Taking Shape

“Seeing the tweets declaring that Kamala isn’t black enough because her parents are from Jamaica and India, I had an immediate flashback to the 2008 campaign.”

3 Likes

Perp walk time…Manafort in the NY courts

1 Like

A Trump campaign consultant is reportedly making fake websites for Democratic candidates — and it’s working

Putin says Russia, US looking into new nuclear talks

“I’m Not Willing to Do That”: Trump Says He Won’t Take Climate Action Because It Would Threaten Corporate Profits

The U.S. president reportedly worked to weaken G20 commitment to fighting climate crisis during summit in Osaka, Japan

Florida gave felons like me the vote again. Then the state took it away.

2 Likes