WTF Community

Mentionable News

Yes…do that please.

2 Likes

Thank you Greta. Very powerful message to the leaders of the world - “How dare you?” take away my future?

Greta Thunberg has a message for world leaders at the United Nations this week: “We’ll be watching you.” Speaking at the Climate Action Summit in New York, Thunberg added, “This is all wrong. I shouldn’t be up here. I should be back in school, on the other side of the ocean.”

But instead, Thunberg, 16, is trying to convince politicians to take climate change seriously, and to do something to stop a global warming trend that will affect the world’s children more than it affects anyone who’s currently in power.

In an impassioned speech, Thunberg told those who hold office, "you all come to us young people for hope. How dare you? You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words, and yet I’m one of the lucky ones. People are suffering. People are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing."

Saying that the world is now in the early stages of a mass extinction, Thunberg criticized those who still speak of the crisis in terms of money and economic growth.

How dare you?” she asked again, growing increasingly emotional as the audience cheered at the 2019 Climate Action Summit.

Citing more than 30 years’ worth of scientific studies and warnings that greenhouse gases and other factors were establishing a dangerous new environmental trend, Thunberg criticized politicians for not developing solutions and strategies to confront that threat.

"You say you hear us and that you understand the urgency. But no matter how sad and angry I am, I do not want to believe that. Because if you really understood the situation and still kept on failing to act, then you would be evil. And that I refuse to believe."

Thunberg then drilled into one aspect of a current international plan, which includes the goal of cutting current emissions levels in half over the next 10 years

But that plan, she said, only provides a 50% chance of keeping the warming trend below 1.5 degrees Celsius.

Fifty percent may be acceptable to you,” Thunberg said, before listing the many assumptions that underlie the estimate and the challenges that could thwart success.

“They also rely on my generation sucking hundreds of billions of tons of your CO2 out of the air with technologies that barely exist. So, a 50% risk is simply not acceptable to us — we who have to live with the consequences.

Thunberg’s speech at a U.N. climate conference last December continues to draw viewers, captured by her direct tone and the clarity of her analysis of a complicated issue. For Monday’s speech in New York, the Swedish activist shared the stage with U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres, who praised the youth movement for raising awareness for climate action.

In her remarks, Thunberg accused politicians of pretending that the world’s dire climate problems can be solved with technical solutions and "business as usual."

To back up her point, she cited a report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, which concluded that for the world to preserve its best chance of meeting the 1.5-degree goal, countries had a “total carbon budget” of 420 gigatons of CO2 at the start of 2018 — meaning that together, countries shouldn’t exceed that amount.

“Today, that figure is already down to less than 350 gigatons,” Thunberg said, adding that at current emission rates, the carbon budget laid out by the IPCC “will be entirely gone in less than eight and a half years.”

Thunberg added, "There will not be any solutions or plans presented in line with these figures here today, because these numbers are too uncomfortable and you are still not mature enough to tell it like it is."

To those wielding power, the activist said, “You are failing us, but young people are starting to understand your betrayal. The eyes of all future generations are upon you. And if you choose to fail us, I say: We will never forgive you.”

“We will not let you get away with this,” she added. “Right here, right now is where we draw the line.”

Thunberg concluded her remarks by saying, “The world is waking up. And change is coming, whether you like it or not.”

In a sign of her growing prominence, Thunberg’s remarks at the climate summit immediately preceded speeches from leaders such as Pope Francis and New Zealand’s Jacinda Ardern.

President Trump made a surprise visit to the same auditorium where Thunberg spoke — but the U.S. president arrived shortly after she concluded her remarks, entering while India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke.

5 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

This is my thread on Trump’s history of trying to turn the U.S. into the world’s biggest protection racket since 1987. His actions in strong-arming Ukraine into investigating Biden by freezing military aid to them are totally in line with this:

2 Likes

Big report out on Wednesday from more than 100 international scientists and released during the UN Panel on Climate Change - looking at “effects of climate change on oceans, ice sheets, mountain snowpack and permafrost.”

Discouraging news and yet scientists and the international community keeps sounding the alarms on what is at stake here. :worried:

WASHINGTON — Earth’s oceans are under severe strain from climate change, a major new United Nations report warns, which threatens everything from the ability to harvest seafood to the well-being of hundreds of millions of people living along the coasts.

Rising temperatures are contributing to a drop in fish populations in many regions, and oxygen levels in the ocean are declining while acidity levels are on the rise, posing risks to important marine ecosystems, according to the report issued Wednesday by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a group of scientists convened by the United Nations to guide world leaders in policymaking.

In addition, warmer ocean waters, when combined with rising sea levels, threaten to fuel ever more powerful tropical cyclones and floods, the report said, further imperiling coastal regions and worsening a phenomenon that is already contributing to storms like Hurricane Harvey, which devastated Houston two years ago.

The oceans are sending us so many warning signals that we need to get emissions under control,” said Hans-Otto Pörtner, a marine biologist at the Alfred Wegener Institute in Germany and a lead author of the report. “Ecosystems are changing, food webs are changing, fish stocks are changing, and this turmoil is affecting humans.”

The report, which was written by more than 100 international experts and is based on more than 7,000 studies, represents the most extensive look to date at the effects of climate change on oceans, ice sheets, mountain snowpack and permafrost.

1 Like

THIS IS WHY WE’RE A LAUGHING STOCK RIGHT NOW! DAMN IT!

US ambassador with coal ties arrives as UN begins climate talks

Craft could mold process by which the U.S. gets out of the Paris climate agreement

2 Likes

:eyes:

1 Like

Dude, who says we can’t be bi-partisan?

I’m posting this in “Mentionable,” but it’s actually a big deal. If this passes the Senate in similar bi-partisan fashion, it will be a game changer for marijuana businesses. It would help Ma & Pa outfits, but it would also mean that big corporations could safely enter the game. This has the potential to really shakeup the industry.

Republicans in Congress, who have stonewalled pro-marijuana legislation for years, are now emerging as the cannabis industry’s most valuable allies.

In a historic vote Wednesday, 91 Republicans joined 229 Democrats to pass legislation that would finally give marijuana businesses access to banks — a critical tool that the industry needs to grow.

Now, the seal of approval by so many Republicans is giving the bill’s backers real hope that the Republican-led Senate will pass the legislation in some fashion. …

2 Likes

US to deploy 200 personnel, missile system to Saudi Arabia

1 Like

Can we be sure this was done to benefit our country?

Or was it done to personally benefit our President?

Simple answer: We have no way of knowing.

1 Like

As far as Trump believes, the country is the president. Everything and anything can personally benefit him. And we’re going to help Saudi Arabia murder more people.

I knew Jamal Khashoggi would not be the last.

2 Likes

Say… WHAT?

U.S. invokes state secrets privilege to block American journalist’s challenge to alleged spot on drone ‘kill list’

“For the first time ever, a United States federal court ruled that the government may kill one of its citizens without providing him the information necessary to prove that he is being wrongly targeted and does not deserve to die,”

Just “mentionable news” from this June or something more significant? Maybe we’ll find out.

President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskiy has held a conversation with Jared Kushner, senior adviser to U.S President Donald Trump. The meeting took place in Brussels on Tuesday as part of the dinner at the Permanent Mission of the United States to the EU.

“Yes, President Zelenskiy spoke with Kushner. They discussed a wide range of issues, ranging from security to energy,” a source in the Presidential Administration of Ukraine told Interfax-Ukraine.

The dinner was also attended by U.S. Secretary of State for Energy Rick Perry, Polish President Andrzej Duda, EU High Representative for the Common Foreign and Security Policy Federica Mogherini and Georgian Prime Minister Mamuka Bakhtadze.

Hi, I’m ve been mostly a lurker for a while now and avid listener of the podcast. I’ve been trying to digest all that has been happening over the past few days and have also been going over conservative sources to get a sense of what Republicans are making of all this. I ran across this article on the hill, which I think is fairly reliable? That I am not sure what to make of. So far most news stories I’ve seen, including the intercept, have noted that this stuff with Biden was mostly conspiracy theories. But this article seems to argue differently. Not sure how to weigh the evidence given.

@jonathantholt

:wave: welcome

I wouldn’t put to much weight to this op-ed by John Solomon. He’s just a right-wing political commentator. The President has already admitted to and released the memo of his phone conversation with Zelensky, that’s the heart of the scandal.

The president asked a foreign country to aid his political campaign in return for releasing the funds allocated by Congress. That’s misuse of office and a illegal in-kind campaign contribution. This is a clear cut impeachable offense. The President cannot use his office to extort other countries into helping him with his re-election campaign.

No evidence has surfaced of actual wrongdoing by Vice President Joe Biden. And it wouldn’t matter because President Trump already released and admitted to what happened. Any other wrongdoing by anyone else would be a separate matter entirely.

In times like these my best advice is to avoid all op-ed and cable news like the plague. Stick to the facts and read broadly but mostly reputable newspapers.

@matt made a great tool for daily news watching, I highly recommend it. Check it out :point_down:

4 Likes

Aside from this being an op-ed is the hill generally reliable? I have heard mixed things and yavwnt really read it much.

3 Likes

The Hill is ok. Sometimes they’ll have a nugget or two but I wouldn’t cite them alone but in chorus with other papers, unless they get a scoop or interview. They do have a high factual reporting rating.

6 Likes

I had normally seen them as more right-slanted, though they do seem to have slid left. They’re generally reliable, but you must ALWAYS watch out for op-eds from any source; editorial staff is often more conservative than the journalism branch, and many outlets will publish op-eds from non-staff in an apparent effort to seem balanced; it’s a favorite trick of the right to invade these spaces. The NYT, for instance, has some solid writers, but also some notoriously bad ones, and a history of bad and even horrifying op-eds at odds with its frequently devastatingly-good reporting,

5 Likes

Even Putin Is Now Worried About Climate Change

Russia has dropped its doubts about joining the Paris accords.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-09-24/putin-is-finally-worried-about-climate-change?fbclid=IwAR0v3WqKXu-E9VxtZU7PfBNVy9j-EiT5JDhFYgOuHiF6_cYgNOjHSBib-HM

There are moments when I am grateful for Trump’s incompetence. This is one of them:

At a closed-door meeting this summer, oil and gas industry lawyers criticized the Trump regime’s failure to recruit enough qualified people to secure policy victories that would outlast this presidency.

3 Likes