WTF Community

Mentionable News

Louise Linton, wife of Steve Mnuchin went out on a limb today and supported Greta Thurnberg, after Steve berated Greta and told her to go study economics before she continues to bash the fossil fuel industry. Louise did take down her tweet.

So much for voicing your own opinion in that union.

3 Likes

It is. He has said worse on twitter than that, and often.

2 Likes

Nothing Bill Barr does in the name of “administering justice” can be good. Already in his release I see the potential for Barr to force Trumpian corruption on state and local law enforcement and government as well as the homeless.

4 Likes

Absolutely. WTF is this “commission”? Why the H do we even need it? Smacks of Stasi tactics to me.

3 Likes

The long and the short of it? Local and state government and law enforcement is refusing to help Barr’s Department of Injustice, ICE, and other fascist Trump regime programs oppress people.

3 Likes

Ahhh… now I see what’s going down. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/pompeo-trump-defund-npr-943197/

2 Likes

Long article on Bill Barr summarizing his background, and politics and his penchant for defending the President and solidifying his Executive Powers.

Didn’t realize that many of T’s closest advisors held the same religious outlook -only a factor of course but does also provides some clues as similar ‘loyalist’ traits among T’s aides, and highly positioned cabinet members.

Worth a read…(excerpts)

Barr’s convictions about the place of faith in government are widely shared in the Administration. The day of his Notre Dame speech, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo delivered an address called “Being a Christian Leader,” in Tennessee. “I know some people in the media will break out the pitchforks when they hear that I ask God for direction in my work,” Pompeo said. “I’m proud to say that President Trump has let our State Department do that. Indeed, he has demanded that we do.” Pompeo is an evangelical Christian; many of his peers in Trump’s inner circle are conservative Catholics, who have achieved a degree of influence rivalling that of evangelicals in the George W. Bush Administration. Along with Barr and Cipollone, there are the acting chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney; the White House counsellor Kellyanne Conway; the National Economic Council director, Larry Kudlow; and the former chief strategist Steve Bannon. Leonard Leo, of the C.I.C. and the Federalist Society, has guided Trump in his selection of judges.

:worried:

Stephen Gillers suggested that Trump’s attacks were part of a drive for increased power. “One way that Trump seeks to maximize control is minimizing the disclosure of information and undermining the credibility of information,” he said. “The Congress needs information to do its job, and the President has frozen it out—especially in the impeachment investigation. Another check is the media, and the President’s use of the term ‘fake news’ can cause people to lose faith in the media. What remains are the courts, which are slow and cumbersome.”

Donald Ayer, the former Bush Administration Deputy Attorney General, warned that Barr’s interpretations of executive power could be validated. “The ultimate question is what happens when these reach the Supreme Court, which has two Trump appointees,” he said. “There is a real danger that he succeeds.” Some legal analysts believe that Barr is overplaying his hand. Benjamin Wittes, of Lawfare, predicted that the Supreme Court would reject Barr’s extreme positions, creating precedents that ultimately reduce the power of the Presidency. “The idea that the President gets to assert executive privilege over material that has already been made public is laughable,” Wittes told me. “I think they are very likely to lose a lot of this.”

…

As Barr insists on expanded Presidential power, Republican voters are starting to agree. According to the Pew Center, forty-three per cent of Republicans believe that “presidents could operate more effectively if they did not have to worry so much about Congress and the courts.” That number has increased from fourteen per cent when Trump took office. A House G.O.P. report about Ukraine endorsed his singular authority; slightly misquoting John Marshall, it argued that Trump was, “constitutionally, the ‘nation’s sole organ of foreign affairs,’ ” and thus had unlimited latitude in his dealings with Ukraine.

Ayer fears that Barr has combined a Reagan-era drive to dismantle government with a Trump-era drive to politicize it. As the White House succeeds in holding off congressional attempts at removing Trump from office, Barr is winning his long war on the power of the legislative branch. In the 2020 campaign, Trump will argue that he alone can protect the country from the dangers posed by the left, immigrants, and other enemies. And Barr’s vision of Presidential power will be the Party’s mainstream position. “Barr sought out the opportunity to be Donald Trump’s Attorney General,” Ayer said. “This, I believe, was his opportunity—the opportunity of a lifetime—to make major progress on advancing his vision of an all-powerful Chief Executive.” :diamonds:

4 Likes

Trump unveiled his Israel-Palestine peace plan. It had zero input from Palestinians, and has caused massive riots. Israel and conservatives have praised it, while critics note it is a precursor to full annexation of the West Bank.

ttps://twitter.com/BakerLuke/status/1222207637074432000

Trump Outlines Mideast Peace Plan That Strongly Favors Israel

President Trump called the plan, which would discard the longtime goal of granting the Palestinians a full-fledged state, a “win-win” for both sides.

We Know Peace Plans—This Isn’t One of Them

Here’s why Trump’s latest gambit probably won’t settle the Israeli-Palestinian dispute.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/27/trump-peace-plan-israeli-palestinian-dispute/

3 Likes

I am 100% certain this is illegal.

Pardoned War Criminal Eddie Gallagher strikes back at SEALs who testified against him by ILLEGALLY highlighting the faces & current units of active-duty SEALs in a video published on social media, putting active duty personnel at risk.

2 Likes

The toll on all those working directly within the Impeachment process is high…here are a few profiles of what these women are up against amid the tight schedules. Bringing of the facts/truth and staying laser-focused.

Rep Val Demmings

On work-life balance:
The start of my career in law enforcement was midnight patrols, so I’m no stranger to late nights. The first day of the trial was very near to a 24-hour workday—certainly not something I would ever want to do on a regular basis, but we are fighting for the soul of our republic, and I know that each of us will do whatever it takes. Democracy is literally at stake. I’m a believer in work-life balance, but when the president is seeking to cheat in the next election, nothing less than total commitment is required.

On going without caffeine:
I don’t need any help in the adrenaline department during this critical time in our nation’s history. The weight of the moment is overwhelming because the stakes are so high. I want my grandchildren to grow up in a republic where their vote always counts.

Rep. [Zoe Lofgren]

Lofgren, a former immigration lawyer, has served in Congress for 25 years. This is her third impeachment experience—as a law student in 1974 during President Nixon’s Watergate scandal, she was tapped to draft one of the Articles of Impeachment. And in 1998 she was on the House Judiciary Committee that approved Articles of Impeachment against President Clinton.
On having worked on the Nixon impeachment in 1974:
I had the profound opportunity to have a bird’s-eye view of the proceedings. At the time, Congressman Don Edwards correctly specified that the grave danger must be “to the republic,” since he understood that a presidential offense is only impeachable if it upsets the constitutional order and threatens the republic itself. Nixon abused presidential powers to improperly influence the election, he covered up his actions using the FBI and the CIA, and the Judiciary Committee approved Articles of Impeachment and he resigned the presidency. In the case of Trump, not only has he similarly abused his power to cheat with the election, he used a foreign power to do it.

On working on her third impeachment:
This is my first time serving as a manager, so I can’t impart wisdom or advice about being a manager in the trial itself; however, I have been urging my peers to stick to the facts and the Constitution.

Rheanne Wirkkala, deputy director of investigations for the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence*On sleep:**

On the first day of trial, I went to sleep at 4:45 a.m. and woke up at 7 a.m.—I also have a one-year-old, so I really haven’t slept in a year.

On stress:
It’s really important to us that we present the strongest case to the American people. Getting that done in a way that is compelling and complete is an incredible amount of work. I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t intense and stressful, but it’s deeply rewarding.

4 Likes

What the HELL is wrong with these people?
I think we now know which horseman of the apocalypse Wilbur Ross is.

3 Likes

This could be a huge moment. The fact that E. Jean Carroll is demanding a DNA sample from Donald Trump in her rape case against him almost certainly means she has a sample to compare it against.

Notice served to Trump attorney for ‘analysis and comparison against’ DNA on dress Carroll says she wore during encounter

4 Likes

Nunes’ pesky lawsuits…

Five of the six lawsuits California Republican Rep. Devin Nunes filed last year against media companies and his political adversaries are still unfolding in courts. He’s suggested he’s considering more cases.

Nunes has sent at least two letters that implied more lawsuits could be forthcoming — to his 2018 Democratic opponent for his congressional seat, Andrew Janz, and to another California Democratic congressman, Ted Lieu.

Nearly all the defendants in his lawsuits have filed motions to dismiss his suits, but the only case that has concluded was the one Nunes withdrew against a retired Tulare County farmer and other activists who challenged the congressman’s description of himself as a farmer.

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/regional/the-west/article239564228.html

1 Like
3 Likes

:eyes:

What we know so far

• Security breach: An SUV breached security checkpoints heading toward President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago retreat in Florida on Friday, and officials shot at the vehicle, officials said.
  • Where’s Trump? The President is currently in Washington, DC. He’s scheduled to head to Florida later this afternoon, according to the White House schedule.

Mar-a-Lago guests told it could be hours before they can leave

From CNN’s Kevin Liptak

A person currently inside the Mar-a-Lago resort said Secret Service agents instructed guests and staff to remain inside around 12:15 p.m. ET, describing an ongoing “situation” outside the club.

Staff and guests were told they would be unable to come and go — and some were told it could be hours longer before they can leave. Guests are currently waiting around for more information.

The person described the scene as calm and organized. Inside the main part of the club, guests could not hear shots from outside, and only learned from agents on the scene that something was going on.

Agents had been in place since earlier today because of Trump’s scheduled arrival later today

Officials will give an update at 3 p.m. ET

Officials will hold a news conference at 3 p.m. ET on the incident that occurred at Mar-a-Lago,

3 Likes

Wikipedia says it, so it must be true.

2 Likes
4 Likes

The photos – in case anyone missed them.

Welcome to Trump’s New America.

Are we still a civilized nation or are we becoming a fascist state run by thugs?

Onward to November when we will take back the country!

4 Likes

They look like the Taliban!

5 Likes