WTF Community

Michael Cohen's public testimony: The Slow Liveblog

Here’s a place to discuss the Cohen testimony in real-time.

Livestream:
https://youtu.be/8rKCWG0VOYw

:pencil2: LIVE BLOGS:

tl;dr

• Cohen’s opening statement about his relationship with Trump: "He is a racist. He is a conman. He is a cheat.”

• Cohen: Trump lied about Trump Moscow negotiations. “I lied to Congress about when Mr Trump stopped negotiating the Moscow Tower project in Russia,” Cohen said. “I stated that we stopped negotiating in January 2016. That was false – our negotiations continued for months later during the campaign.”

• Cohen: Trump did not “directly tell me to lie to Congress” but as a presidential candidate Trump did “lie to the American people” by denying business in Russia.
  • "Individual-1 is Donald J. Trump (background context)

• Cohen doesn’t “know of direct evidence” that “Trump or his campaign colluded with Russia” during the 2016 election, “but I have my suspicions.” Cohen added that he was in the room with Trump, “probably in early June 2016,” when Trump Jr. “came into the room and walked behind his father’s desk” and leaned over "to his father and speaking in a low voice, which I could clearly hear, and saying: ‘The meeting is all set.’ I remember Mr. Trump saying, ‘Ok good…let me know.’”

• Cohen publicly released to the House committee showing that Trump attempted to lower the value of the Trump National Golf Club to avoid tax, claiming it was worth just $1.4m.

• Cohen said he would not accept a pardon from Trump.

• Rep. Jim Jordan accused Democrats of encouraging Cohen to violate attorney-client privilege and complained that they can’t ask questions about ongoing investigations. He called Cohen a “patsy.”

Headlines-only

2 Likes

61 posts were merged into an existing topic: Day 769