WTF Community

📝 Must Read Op-Ed and Profiles

Hillary comes out guns-a-blazing. I think it is time to step up and battle this leader and we’re seeing all the heavies coming out…Obama, GWB, Biden, and now Hillary.
She’s kept pretty tight lipped…and she’s seeing in real time all the damage that was done to her campaign. No more standing by for Hillary.

Ok…battle lines have been drawn a bit clearer. WOW :boom:

Trump and his cronies do so many despicable things that it can be hard to keep track. I think that may be the point—to confound us, so it’s harder to keep our eye on the ball. The ball, of course, is protecting American democracy. As citizens, that’s our most important charge. And right now, our democracy is in crisis.

I don’t use the word crisis lightly. There are no tanks in the streets. The administration’s malevolence may be constrained on some fronts—for now—by its incompetence. But our democratic institutions and traditions are under siege. We need to do everything we can to fight back. There’s not a moment to lose.

As I see it, there are five main fronts of this assault on our democracy.

First, there is Donald Trump’s assault on the rule of law.

Second, the legitimacy of our elections is in doubt.

Third, the president is waging war on truth and reason.

Fourth, there’s Trump’s breathtaking corruption.

Fifth, Trump undermines the national unity that makes democracy possible.

Hate speech isn’t “telling it like it is.” It’s just hate.

How did we get here?

Trump may be uniquely hostile to the rule of law, ethics in public service, and a free press. But the assault on our democracy didn’t start with his election. He is as much a symptom as a cause of what ails us. Think of our body politic like a human body, with our constitutional checks and balances, democratic norms and institutions, and well-informed citizenry all acting as an immune system protecting us from the disease of authoritarianism. Over many years, our defenses were worn down by a small group of right-wing billionaires—people like the Mercer family and Charles and David Koch—who spent a lot of time and money building an alternative reality where science is denied, lies masquerade as truth, and paranoia flourishes. By undermining the common factual framework that allows a free people to deliberate together and make the important decisions of self-governance, they opened the way for the infection of Russian propaganda and Trumpian lies to take hold. They’ve used their money and influence to capture our political system, impose a right-wing agenda, and disenfranchise millions of Americans.

Meanwhile, hyperpolarization now extends beyond politics into nearly every part of our culture.

The increasing radicalism and irresponsibility of the Republican Party, including decades of demeaning government, demonizing Democrats, and debasing norms, is what gave us Donald Trump.**

First, we’ve got to mobilize massive turnout in the 2018 midterms.

And we could finally see some congressional oversight of the White House.

When the dust settles, we have to do some serious housecleaning.

They also should not be exempt from ethics requirements and conflict-of-interest rules.

But even the best rules and regulations won’t protect us if we don’t find a way to restitch our fraying social fabric and rekindle our civic spirit.

When we think about politics and judge our leaders, we can’t just ask, “Am I better off than I was four years ago?” We have to ask, “Are we better off? Are we as a country better, stronger, and fairer?” Democracy works only when we accept that we’re all in this together.

In 1787, after the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia, Benjamin Franklin was asked by a woman on the street outside Independence Hall, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?” Franklin answered, “A republic, if you can keep it.” That response has been on my mind a lot lately. The contingency of it. How fragile our experiment in self-government is. And, when viewed against the sweep of human history, how fleeting. Democracy may be our birthright as Americans, but it’s not something we can ever take for granted. Every generation has to fight for it, has to push us closer to that more perfect union. That time has come again.

4 Likes

Clinton has nailed it. There are some things about this presidency that continue to stun me when I take the time to sit and think about them. At what other point in the history of our nation, has the President so relentlessly lied to the American public and actually waged a daily war on the truth? He doesn’t just bend the truth he crushes it. He’ll casually toss out a “fact” that is absolutely, verifiably wrong and, not only will he not retract it, he doubles down on it. This lie then becomes integral to the fabric of his base’s thinking. They absorb it, believe it, and act upon it.

Case in point: Trump claims Manafort worked for him for 49 days. Where, in the H did he get that number? It has no basis in reality. Yet if you ask a member of Trump’s base how long Manafort worked for him, that person will undoubtedly reply, “a month or two.” And indeed, that’s precisely the lie that Ann Coulter just perpetuated on Fox News.

Here are the facts followed by two videos that prove the President and his surrogates are flat out lying to us:

March 29, 2016 - Manafort joins Trump’s campaign

51 days pass

May 19, 2016 - Manafort promoted to chairman

93 days pass

August 19, 2016 - Manafort resigns

Total time on campaign: 144 days = 9 days short of 5 months

Lies Trump plants on June 15, 2018 (video below):

Manafort has nothing to do with our campaign.

What a total, flagrant lie! He was on the campaign for close to 5 months and for 3 months of that, he was the chairman.

[Manafort] worked for me, for what, 49 days or something?

Another flagrant lie. It was 144 days.

Lie Ann Coulter normalizes on Sept. 16, 2018 (video below):

[Manafort] was there [on Trump’s campaign] for a month or two.

And that’s how just one of the thousands of lies Trump tells becomes embedded in the folklore shared by his base.

See 0:20:
https://youtu.be/ibdEkEYt5fM?t=21

See 18:50:
https://youtu.be/IdrMG2ZJ-5E?t=1126

2 Likes

The best opinion I’ve heard all week comes from Senator Hirono of Hawaii. Click link for video, a must watch :point_down:

6 Likes

CNN: The FBI investigated Clarence Thomas. It took 3 days.

There’s absolutely no reason to rush the vote on Kavanaugh. The Republicans stalled Obama’s Garland nomination for nearly eight months. Applying that schedule to this nomination gives us until March 2.

The FBI’s investigation of Thomas took only three days. It’s outrageous that the Republicans are fighting taking an additional week or two to do this right with Kavanaugh.

Note: The link at the top of this post connects to CNN’s excellent time line on the Thomas investigation, but since it’s part of a page of “live updates,” the link might change soon. With that in mind, I’ve copied the entire time line below.

Here’s how the FBI investigated Anita Hill’s sexual harassment allegations against Clarence Thomas
From CNN’s Kevin Liptak

As Christine Blasey Ford’s lawyers insist the FBI investigate her claims of sexual assault against Brett Kavanaugh, here is a look back at how the FBI investigation into Anita Hill’s sexual harassment allegations against Clarence Thomas came about.

• Clarence Thomas underwent his initial hearings before the Senate Judiciary Committee in early September 1991.

• Anita Hill says she spoke with the Judiciary Committee in “early September,” and that an FBI investigation was suggested to her on Sept. 20, 1991.

• On Sept. 23, 1991, allegations of harassment were brought to the attention of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which immediately informed the White House, according to a statement from then-deputy press secretary Judy Smith.

• Upon learning of the allegations, the White House “promptly directed the FBI to conduct a full, thorough and expeditious investigation,” according to the statement.

• Three days later, on Sept. 26, 1991, the FBI completed its investigation, and a report was submitted to the White House and the Judiciary Committee. The White House deemed the allegations “unfounded.”

• On Oct. 6, 1991, Nina Totenberg of NPR obtained a copy of the FBI report and reported on the allegations, the first time the public became aware of the story.

• On Oct. 11, 1991, Hill begins her testimony during Thomas’ Senate confirmation hearing.

The fourth bullet is telling: “Upon learning of the allegations, the White House ‘promptly directed the FBI to conduct a full, thorough and expeditious investigation.’” So why doesn’t President Trump do the same? All he has to do is pick up the phone and give the direction. Based on experience, the investigation would be complete three days later.

3 Likes

An excerpt from Greg Miller’s new book “The Apprentice”

Getting to 98 percent certainty

Trump’s admiration for the leader of Russia was inexplicable and never wavered after taking office. He praised the Russian leader, congratulated him, defended him, pursued meetings with him, and fought virtually any policy or punitive measure that might displease him.

A trained intelligence operative, Putin understood the power of playing to someone’s insecurities and ego. On cue, he reciprocated with frequent praise for the president he had sought to install in the White House.

In phone conversations with Trump, Putin would whisper conspiratorially, telling the U.S. president that it wasn’t their fault that they could not consummate the relationship that each had sought. Instead, Putin sought to reinforce Trump’s belief that he was being undermined by a secret government cabal, a bureaucratic “deep state.”

“It’s not us. We get it,” Putin would tell Trump, according to White House aides. “It’s the subordinates fighting against our friendship.”

It’s hard to imagine that even a master manipulator like Putin would have anticipated the full success of his operation. Not only had he sabotaged Hillary Clinton, but he had also helped install in the Oval Office someone who — by virtue of his disdain for democratic norms and volatile leadership — compounded the impact of the Russian campaign.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/the-apprentice-book-excerpt-at-cias-russia-house-growing-alarm-about-2016-election-interference/2018/09/18/51eb1732-b5c5-11e8-94eb-3bd52dfe917b_story.html?utm_term=.e68ed552f1c8

Preorder now. Due out in October.

3 Likes

End run…possible.

Charles Grassley, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, and Mitch McConnell, the Senate majority leader, seem determined to call a vote next week on the confirmation of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to be an associate justice of the Supreme Court, even in the face of this week’s sexual assault allegations against him.

Senate Republicans assume, correctly, that if they can hold the party line, his installation on the Supreme Court is a sure thing. This is certainly true — even if the Democratic caucus in the Senate holds firm against Mr. Kavanaugh, they simply lack the votes to block him. But the Republicans’ calculus contains a significant error — namely, the assumption that if Mr. Kavanaugh is confirmed to the Supreme Court, that’s the end of the discussion of whether he is fit to serve.

The Constitution does provide that federal judges, including Supreme Court justices, “shall hold their Offices during good Behavior.” The settled understanding of this phrase is that so-called Article III judges enjoy lifetime tenure. But the Constitution also makes both judicial and executive officers subject to impeachment. And, as it happens, the House of Representatives holds “the sole Power of Impeachment.” If the Democrats win back the House in November, they can exercise that power.

Impeachment proceedings in the House are investigative in nature and come with a full panoply of quasi-judicial powers, including aids to investigations, such as the power to subpoena witnesses to compel them to appear and testify (subject, of course, to constitutional privileges, if applicable, such as the Fifth Amendment’s guarantee against self-incrimination).

If a simple majority of the House decided to proceed with impeachment, the House Judiciary Committee would be empowered to conduct a thorough and careful investigation of the sexual misconduct allegations that Professor Christine Blasey Ford has made against Mr. Kavanaugh involving a drunken sexual assault when both were high school students in suburban Washington, D.C.

3 Likes

This is a great strategy – laying out a strong case for impeachment before Kavanaugh has even been confirmed. It’s bound to give some Republicans pause to consider: why confirm Kavanaugh when he might be booted from the court almost immediately? If that happened, the Republicans would be handing the seat to a more liberal judge (assuming Democrats take control of congress). Not a pretty scenario for the Right – so this might persuade some Republicans to pass on Kavanaugh and go back to the drawing board. :+1:

2 Likes

Democrats are eating Republicans’ lunch when it comes to pre-existing conditions – and this is rapidly becoming the pivotal issue in many close races. Republicans have burned the electorate so many times on health care that voters no longer believe their empty promises. And with good reason.

Case in point: Tonight, during Trump’s rally in Las Vegas, he promised this: “Donald Trump and Republicans will protect patients with pre-existing conditions. We’re going to do that.” That is an absolute lie – you only need to look as far as the Politico piece above – it clearly documents how the administration is vigorously arguing in the courts that the ACA protections for pre-existing conditions are unconstitutional. Yet Trump stands up in front of thousands of people and tells them the bald-faced lie that he’s doing the exact opposite.

Voters are finally getting wise to Republicans’ relentless lies – especially in regards to health care – and this wariness is going to cost Republican candidates dearly in the coming elections.

And the Republicans’ duplicity gets even worse. They’ve been caught red-handed trying to pass a bill that purportedly protects the right to be covered for pre-existing conditions when it actually undermines those protections. See the bolded parts below for the details. Voters hate it when they find that politicians are trying to trick them – after all it’s downright insulting to be treated like an ignorant rube. These deceptive tactics are going to come back to haunt Republicans very soon.

Republicans are struggling to convince voters they will protect people with pre-existing conditions as Democrats trying to build a blue wave for November pound them for threatening to take away sick people’s health care. . . .

Polling shows heightened public concern over pre-existing conditions — 75 percent of voters in a recent Kaiser Family Foundation poll said it’s “very important” to keep Obamacare’s insurance protections — and greater trust in Democrats to deal with the issue. The GOP’s most direct attempt to address the insurance protections — a recent Senate bill Republicans said would protect sick patients — backfired spectacularly after it quickly became clear the measure wouldn’t actually cover the pre-existing conditions it claimed to protect. The Trump administration’s support for a lawsuit in Texas that would gut the health care law also hasn’t helped the perception Republicans won’t protect patients with pre-existing conditions. . . .

Polls this summer showed that voters trust congressional Democrats more than Republicans on health care issues, and when it comes to pre-existing conditions, Democrats hold a 2-to-1 advantage, a Morning Consult/POLITICO poll found last week.

That margin has Democrats across the country running confidently on Obamacare for the first time since its passage in 2010, even in swing districts and deep-red strongholds still skeptical of the health care law. . . .

The Trump administration this summer added fuel to Democrats’ health care offensive when it joined part of a 20-state lawsuit aimed at eliminating Obamacare. While the administration isn’t asking the courts to throw out the entire health care law, it’s challenging provisions that ban insurers from rejecting coverage or charging more based on patients’ pre-existing conditions. . . .

Sensing their disadvantage on the issue, 10 Senate Republicans last month sponsored a bill that would force insurers, who routinely rejected patients with pre-existing conditions before Obamacare, to accept those patients. There was one major loophole, though: Insurers didn’t have to cover those conditions. In other words, an insurer would have to sell a health plan to someone with cancer, but it wouldn’t have to actually cover cancer treatment. [Note from KJ: WTF :interrobang:]

“It’s a cruel hoax and a fraud,” said Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.), who’s in a very tight re-election race against a Republican state attorney general who is part of the anti-Obamacare lawsuit. “How do you have a pre-existing conditions bill that says we’re going to protect people with pre-existing conditions, but not for their pre-existing condition? I mean, it’s embarrassing."

P.S. If you want confirm the lie about pre-existing conditions that Trump told this supporters in Las Vegas tonight, it’s here at 3:19:30 – but then that means you’d have to listen to him so maybe you just want to take my word for it. :wink:

4 Likes

Awful…bait and switch.

WTF :roll_eyes:WTF :roll_eyes: WTF :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Powerful message from Ronald Reagan’s daughter…perhaps the R’s might take note of this recollection.

By Patti Davis
September 21 at 3:53 PM

Patti Davis is the author, most recently, of the novel “The Earth Breaks in Colors” and the daughter of Ronald and Nancy Reagan.

Roughly 40 years ago, I showed up at a prominent music executive’s office for an appointment that had been scheduled suspiciously late in the workday. But I wasn’t suspicious. I was instead eager to try to place some of my original songs with artists he represented. One of my songs had appeared on the Eagles album “One of These Nights,” and I was hoping to turn songwriting into a career.

I brought along a cassette tape of my material, but I don’t remember what the executive said about the songs. Nor do I recall what we talked about. I remember the sky turning dark outside the window behind his desk. I remember sensing that people had left the building and we were there alone. I remember his face, his hair and what he was wearing. When he pulled a vial of cocaine out of his desk drawer and started chopping up lines on a small mirror, I’m 90 percent sure I declined his offer to do some with him, not because I didn’t do drugs — I definitely did in those years — but because I was starting to feel uncomfortable. My memory of the discomfort is sharp and clear, but my memory of declining the coke is, as I said, about 90 percent.

What happened next, though, is indelible. He crossed the room. There was a dark-green carpet, but his footsteps seemed loud, hard. He was against me, on top of me — so quickly — with his hands under my skirt and his mouth on mine, that I froze. I lay there as he pushed himself inside me. The leather couch stuck to my skin, made noises beneath me. His breath smelled like coffee and stale bread. He didn’t use a condom. I remember leaving afterward, driving home, the night around me glittered with streetlights and alive with people out at dinner or bars. I felt alone, ashamed and disgusted with myself. Why didn’t I get out of there? Why didn’t I push him off? Why did I freeze?

I don’t remember what month it was. I don’t remember whether his assistant was still there when I arrived. I don’t remember whether we said anything to each other when I left his office.

I never told anyone for decades — not a friend, not a boyfriend, not a therapist, not my husband when I got married years later.

It doesn’t surprise me one bit that for more than 30 years, Christine Blasey Ford didn’t talk about the assault she remembers, the one she accuses Supreme Court nominee Brett M. Kavanaugh of committing.

It’s important to understand how memory works in a traumatic event. Ford has been criticized for the things she doesn’t remember, like the address where she says the assault happened, or the time of year, or whose house it was. But her memory of the attack itself is vivid and detailed. His hand over her mouth, another young man piling on, her fear that maybe she’d die there, unable to breathe. That’s what happens: Your memory snaps photos of the details that will haunt you forever, that will change your life and live under your skin. It blacks out other parts of the story that really don’t matter much.

Ford wants the FBI to investigate so that some of the details she doesn’t remember can be established. It’s a brave request. Perhaps the aging men who are poised to interrogate her, unless they hide behind surrogates, should pause for a moment and think about the courage it takes for a woman to say: Here is my memory. It has haunted me for decades. It changed my life. You need to know about it now because of what is at stake for this country.

Requesting an investigation into the incident isn’t a big ask. Unless they just want her to go away. Which is, by the way, one reason that women are scared to speak up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/i-was-sexually-assaulted-heres-why-i-dont-remember-many-of-the-details/2018/09/21/8ce0088c-bdab-11e8-8792-78719177250f_story.html?utm_term=.6e19ad02b1f9

4 Likes

Sounds like the right quote for the upcoming He-Said-She-Said testimony

We haven’t forgotten our history. But we still seem doomed to repeat it.

> WASHINGTON — The Capitol is covered in mud.

Again

Somewhere in the dim recesses of my mind, I can recall a time when the sight of that white dome thrilled me. As a teenager, working for a New York congressman, I felt privileged to walk the same marble corridors where some of America’s most revered leaders had walked.

I can also vaguely remember a time, back before the travesty of Bush v. Gore, when I felt awe walking past the Supreme Court. And if I try really hard, I can summon the lost sensation of pride in covering the White House.

But all that is utterly changed.

It was wrenching to watch the futile Iraq war unfold, with its tragic echoes of Vietnam. It is jarring to think I could live through three sagas of impeachment. But I most dread the rhyming history we are plunged into now: the merciless pummeling of a woman who dares to obstruct the glide path of a conservative Supreme Court nominee.

It is unnerving to think how far women have come, only to find ourselves dragged back to the same place.

It has been almost exactly 27 years since the Anita Hill-Clarence Thomas hearings, and we are still defensively explaining — including to our troglodyte president — why women do not always tell the authorities about verbal and physical sexual assaults, why they bury episodes or try to maneuver past them.

We are still watching a bookish university professor from the West, who tried to anonymously report an alleged blight on the character of a man about to ascend to a lifetime of power, get smeared as a demanding, mixed-up, uptight, loony fantasist.

Like Eve with the apple, she schemed to “come out of the night like a missile and destroy a man,” as Republican Senator Alan Simpson said of Hill.

We are still watching on the Republican side of the panel an all-white male chorus — two of these singers were there tormenting Hill three decades ago — plotting to win at all costs.

Advertisement

I didn’t sleep the week of the Hill-Thomas hearings. At first, I was feverishly trying to figure out what was true in their two diametrically opposite stories.

But it quickly became apparent that Thomas was lying.

His friends and supporters had talked publicly about how, at Yale Law School, Thomas was a regular patron of X-rated movie houses and enjoyed describing the porn to friends afterward.

But that was not introduced into testimony by either the Republicans or the Democrats. Instead, Utah Senator Orrin Hatch — who is still on the Judiciary Committee at age 84 for this new kangaroo court — suggested that a man as esteemed as Judge Thomas could not possibly know the language of porn, that anyone who talked like that was “a psychopathic sex fiend or a pervert.”

Hatch preposterously accused Hill of scavenging her testimony about Long Dong Silver from an old law case, and her story about Thomas asking “Who put pubic hair on my Coke?” from the novel, “The Exorcist.”

No one was trying to figure out the truth or do what was best for the court and the country. Republicans only cared about ramming through a right-wing justice. Even though they were the majority, Democrats were cowed by Thomas wrapping himself in the charged symbolism of the civil rights movement he had always scorned. And they were gun-shy after criticism of their initial bungling of Hill’s revelation. (Does that ring a bell?) Joe Biden, the committee chairman, canceled the testimony of Hill’s backup witnesses from work.

Teddy Kennedy was mute, hobbled by his own past sins. The feminists were less concerned with Hill’s humiliation than with using her as a bludgeon to block a justice who would be devastating on women’s rights.

After a three-day F.B.I. investigation, the White House declared Hill’s charges “unfounded.” Then agents were pressured by Republicans into providing affidavits suggesting that Hill had embellished her testimony, as Jane Mayer and Jill Abramson wrote in “Strange Justice.”

Anita Hill was alone, in a hearing room full of Republican liars and Democratic cowards, getting ripped apart as “a little bit nutty and a little bit slutty,” in the immortal words of Kavanaugh pal turned Hillary henchman David Brock; and this in front of her elderly parents, farmers from Oklahoma.

Post #MeToo, the Republicans know they have to be more careful on the surface. Their wet work to discredit Christine Blasey Ford will have to be outsourced and done mostly outside the hearing room; consider the sordid, outrageous attempt by Ed Whelan — a friend of Brett Kavanaugh’s who heads a prominent conservative think tank on, ahem, ethics — to throw suspicion on a look-alike classmate at Georgetown Prep. Backed by the Swift Boat p.r. slimers, as Politico reported, Whelan even tweeted a floor plan to the house the student grew up in.

Dr. Blasey is dealing with some demonic forces not in play with Professor Hill: a vicious partisan internet that drove her out of her house and being discredited not merely by the White House but personally by a president who has bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault, who has consistently defended predators such as Roger Ailes, Bill O’Reilly and Roy Moore, and who is advised by the same man who enabled Ailes’s loathsome behavior at Fox News.

We haven’t forgotten our history. But we still seem doomed to repeat it.

2 Likes

The primary reason, I believe, that the Republicans are trying to ram through Kavanaugh’s confirmation is that with every passing day more of the truth about his past is coming to light – revelations that disqualify him from sitting on the Supreme Court.

Natasha Bertrand of The Atlantic is reporting on an additional motivation for Republicans to rush the process. A case will soon be heard before the SC that could free Trump to pardon criminals of state crimes if those crimes were also tried at the federal level.

To see the impact this could have, consider a hypothetical case. Suppose at some point, Donald Trump Jr. is convicted of a federal crime – Trump might pardon him, but currently, those who want to see justice served have a fall back position: Trump Jr. could be convicted at the state level and Trump would be unable to pardon those convictions. This case could change all that and allow Trump’s co-conspirators to escape scot-free on the Trump pardon train. And Trump might even try leveraging an SC ruling in his favor to pardon himself at the federal and state levels. Hence, the Republicans are anxious to place a Trump-friendly judge on the SC before this case is heard.

It’s interesting to note that allowing the President to pardon crimes at the state level flies in the face of states’ rights. The Republicans make a lot of noise about protecting states rights until it goes against their interests. Another case in point is Republicans’ opposition to the states’ rights to regulate marijuana as they see fit.

A key Republican senator has quietly weighed in on an upcoming Supreme Court case that could have important consequences for Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation.

The Utah lawmaker Orrin Hatch, who sits on the Senate Judiciary Committee, filed a 44-page amicus brief earlier this month in Gamble v. United States, a case that will consider whether the dual-sovereignty doctrine should be put to rest. The 150-year-old exception to the Fifth Amendment’s double-jeopardy clause allows state and federal courts to prosecute the same person for the same criminal offense. . .

Within the context of the Mueller probe, legal observers have seen the dual-sovereignty doctrine as a check on President Donald Trump’s power: It could discourage him from trying to shut down the Mueller investigation or pardon anyone caught up in the probe, because the pardon wouldn’t be applied to state charges. Under settled law, if Trump were to pardon his former campaign chairman Paul Manafort, for example—he was convicted last month in federal court on eight counts of tax and bank fraud—both New York and Virginia state prosecutors could still charge him for any crimes that violated their respective laws. . . . If the dual-sovereignty doctrine were tossed, as Hatch wants, then Trump’s pardon could theoretically protect Manafort from state action.

2 Likes

This is what the R Senate Judiciary committee also represents…and Brett will lie and contort the facts to claim that power that they want to grant him. Old Boys club at work here.

This is not how we popularly talk about sexual assault, usually the domain of the fumblings and feelings and misunderstandings that obfuscate the motivations — the highly logical motivations — of abusers, assaulters, and harassers who believe the world owes them deference and submission**. But there it is: sexual assault is about the reinforcement and consolidation of power, and two men are more powerful than one. So what can we deduce about Kavanaugh’s fitness for the Supreme Court, knowing this?**

Justice — true justice — is about diffusing power. This is why narratives about reclaiming America and rhetoric around law and order play so well in a political moment when progress has begun knocking at the door of the boys’ club. I imagine the boys inside parting the curtains, peering outside, talking about back doors and panic rooms, just in case.

I don’t believe that Brett Kavanaugh wants to make the world a more just place. I believe he wants to reinforce and consolidate power. Because he has done it before, and because it is, in the darkest and most disturbing ways, the logical thing for a boy like him to do.

3 Likes

In just a few paragraphs, this op-ed nails why the bizarre format the Republicans’ chose for today’s hearing was such a disaster for them. We already know it exposed them as cowards for not even having the decency to address their questions directly to Dr. Ford – and this piece lays out additional reasons the Republicans’ “dodgy strategy” of hiding behind outside counsel was doomed from the start.

Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee came up with a solution to the optics problem of an all-male panel questioning a woman about her sexual assault claims: They hired a woman to do it for them.

But it might have backfired. . . .

The whiplash of going to back and forth from a prosecutor strangely putting someone who has said she was sexually assaulted on trial and a normal Senate hearing is incredibly jarring: not at all what you’d want from a hearing designed to get at the truth of what really happened to Christine Blasey Ford.

This format is a disaster on all levels: moral, legal, and political. And, at heart, it’s Republicans’ fault.

3 Likes

This incisive op-ed by Jennifer Rubin focuses on the substance and delivery of Kavanaugh’s testimony and how it unequivocally demonstrates he is unfit for a seat on the Supreme Court.

Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh decided that to have any chance to reach the court, he would have to shed the pretense he was a fair-minded, calm, judicious thinker. He came out in the afternoon filled with venom, screaming at the committee. His life was being ruined, he claimed. This was a Clinton-like smear. His anger was both frightening and unexpected — if you thought he was that intellectual whom conservatives have swooned over. He yelled, and he cried. . . .

Kavanaugh, as of this writing, made a couple major errors.

First, he refused to call for an FBI investigation (even when Sen. Richard J. Durbin of Illinois invited him to ask it of White House counsel Donald McGahn). When Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vt.) questioned about his friend Mark Judge, Kavanaugh slipped and said “you’d have to ask [Judge]”, who of course the Republicans refuse to summon as a witness. The refusal to get the facts is both a telling admission of concern about what they would find and a violation the judicial goal of truth-seeking. It’s a political calculation, exactly what you don’t want to see from a judge.

The worst moment was his confrontation with Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) who questioned him about blackout drinking. She explained that she understood alcohol abuse because her father was an alcoholic. Have you ever blacked out? she asked. He sneered in response, “Have you?” It was a moment of singular cruelty and disrespect. One saw a flash in the exchange with Klobuchar of the same sense of entitlement, cruelty and lack of simple decency that Christine Blasey Ford allegedly experienced way back when, the memory seared in her brain of two obnoxious teens laughing at her ordeal.

3 Likes

Agreed…he was belligerant, rude, evasive, self-pitying and weak by acting that way towards her. She showed patience, civility and composure despite his flagrant head strong attitude.

Wow…am so disgusted with him. :rage:

2 Likes

The Washington Post editorial board weighs in on the potential Senate Vote for confirming Judge Kavanaugh. They state that the testimony of Dr. Ford was 100% believable and felt Kavanaugh did not help the matter by impugning that there had been some left wing Pro-Clinton conspiracy to help knock him out. Further Kavanaugh (as well as the R’s) did nothing to advance any further investigation/subpoena’s of Mark Judge, which would provide more unanswered questions.

We await the Committee Vote in the morning with the one possible R holdout Sen Flake. Even if he votes no, to advance this vote to a full Senate vote, McConnell can move ahead and get the Senate to have a vote.

No time for delays is the R’s wish.

The Washington Post wants to delay to avoid the real political railroading, and I believe a terrible Supreme Court choice.

The Post’s View Opinion
The Senate can’t vote on Kavanaugh now

By Editorial Board
September 27 at 7:18 PM

“I BELIEVED he was going to rape me,” Christine Blasey Ford said as she began her Thursday testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee, detailing allegations of sexual assault against Supreme Court nominee Brett M. Kavanaugh. She said she is “100 percent” certain the assailant was Mr. Kavanaugh. Mr. Kavanaugh denied the charges “immediately, categorically and unequivocally,” at times choking back tears.

Predictably, and as a practical matter, this left the Judiciary Committee, the powerful emotions of the day notwithstanding, in about the same place it started. Ms. Ford presented a credible accusation of sexual misconduct from their teenage years. Mr. Kavanaugh offered a forceful denial. The logical next step would be to take the time to see if an investigation can bolster either contention. Yet Republicans on the committee seemed more aggrieved by the Democrats’ delay in forwarding Ms. Ford’s allegation than interested in getting to the bottom of it.

On one secondary but important matter, it was possible to draw a conclusion. Mr. Kavanaugh contended that “this whole two-week effort has been a calculated and orchestrated political hit, fueled with apparent pent-up anger about President Trump and the 2016 election” and an act of “revenge on behalf of the Clintons.”

But he provided no evidence for his angry charge, and certainly Ms. Ford’s testimony did not support conspiracy theories. On the contrary, she explained she tried to relay her allegations to political leaders before Mr. Trump tapped Mr. Kavanaugh, so that the president could consider another judge of equal qualifications, refuting suggestions that she is part of a Democratic plot. She was more than supportive of reopening the FBI background check. “I wish that I could be more helpful, and that others could be more helpful and that we could collaborate to get at more information,” Ms. Ford said.

The inadequacy of the Judiciary Committee’s process was most glaring in the absence of Mark Judge, whom Republicans refused to subpoena. Ms. Ford has said Mr. Judge was in the room when the alleged assault occurred; on Thursday, she provided a few fresh details that almost certainly would have sent professional law enforcement agents in new investigative directions if they had the time and mandate. Mr. Judge has denied knowing of or being present for any assault but has also declined to offer any more information. When Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vt.) asked Mr. Kavanaugh about Mr. Judge’s writing on drunken high school antics, the nominee told the senator, “You’d have to ask him.” “I would like to,” Mr. Leahy responded.

Americans could only watch with sadness. If he is the victim of some terrible case of mistaken identity, Mr. Kavanaugh’s anger is understandable, but his partisan conspiracy-theorizing was hardly becoming of a potential Supreme Court justice. Ms. Ford, whose life and family have been upended, deserved better than the condescension shown by a number of Republican senators and, more to the point, their unwillingness to vet her claims.

In truth, there is still plenty of time. Any deadline has been artificially imposed by the Republican majority for purely partisan reasons, a majority that was happy to leave a Supreme Court chair vacant for most of 2016. As we have said repeatedly, the Senate still has not been given access to all relevant documents, let alone fully checked out Ms. Ford’s allegation.

It would be irresponsible for Republicans to insist on an immediate vote. If they do, the responsible vote must be no.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-senate-cant-vote-on-kavanaugh-now/2018/09/27/232fdbae-c29e-11e8-97a5-ab1e46bb3bc7_story.html?utm_term=.bdfa9301a28d

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8vbnyzaXg4

Excellent MSNBC panel in which Wendy Murphy, a former Federal prosecutor specializing in sex crimes, lays out how Kavanaugh’s testimony would have convicted him in any trial she was prosecuting.

“It wasn’t just his manner and tone and demeanor — which, I prosecuted a lot of sex crimes cases — this would be a guilty verdict based solely on his disrespect for the forum. But then he lied repeatedly about those signals,” she noted. “In those two facts alone, I would find him guilty in a criminal court beyond a reasonable doubt.”

“I don’t think there’s a chance he makes it past this FBI investigation, not a chance,” she predicted.

4 Likes

A Maureen Dowd take down…

Now with an FBI investigation tailor made for finding out the bare minimum, she could be right…just another episode of “entitled white men acting like the new minority, howling about things that are being taken away from them, aggrieved at anything that diminishes them or saps their power.”

Not only because the sexual transgression Blasey was describing was more savage. But also because Kavanaugh simply adapted Clarence Thomas’s playbook of raging against the machine. Thomas’s fury was white-hot. Kavanaugh’s, weepy. But the pitch was the same.

“This is a circus,’’ Thomas seethed in 1991.

“This is a circus,’’ Kavanaugh seethed on Thursday.

Kavanaugh echoed Thomas’s martyrdom, claiming he was being “destroyed” by partisans conspiring to dig up dirt. He charged that Democrats were conducting a “grotesque and coordinated character assassination” because of their anger about President Trump’s ascent and their desire for revenge after his own seamy work helping Ken Starr in his pervy pursuit of Bill Clinton.

It was a cri de coeur custom-made for the age of Trump — and custom-designed to please Trump himself: entitled white men acting like the new minority, howling about things that are being taken away from them, aggrieved at anything that diminishes them or saps their power.

As The Atlantic noted, Kavanaugh brandished Yale as “a magic wand, something that could be waved to dispel questions of his conduct.”

…

The nominee whom Ted Cruz defended as “a boring Boy Scout” became a sneering portrait of privilege denied.

When Amy Klobuchar, citing her father’s alcoholism, asked if Kavanaugh had ever blacked out from drinking, he snapped back, “I don’t know — have you?’’

Jeff Flake was so unnerved by the blast of opposition to his decision to vote for Kavanaugh that he led a scheme to get a week’s delay to have the F.B.I. investigate.

So we will finally drag Mark Judge, the man named by Blasey as the third person in the room that night, out of his beachfront hide-out. If the Republicans wanted to discern the character of who they’re putting on the court, rather than simply solidifying the conservative majority, they would already have subpoenaed Judge and anyone else who could provide clarity.

The hope that the F.B.I. will save the day may be misplaced. In the case of Anita Hill, agents were deployed by Republicans to help smear her.

Even if Kavanaugh is confirmed, he already seems warped by this experience — just like Thomas was, when he went onto the bench as a very angry and bitter man.

But at least we have a few more days to pretend to look for the truth.

3 Likes

Portland Press Herald’s Editorial Board is not in favor of Kavanaugh…many, many papers are coming down on him.

Message received Senators.

"But regardless of what questions the investigation can answer, we already know this: Based on what he demonstrated in his own testimony, Kavanaugh lacks the character and judgment to serve on the Supreme Court.

In his widely watched appearance, Kavanaugh revealed that he has an explosive temper and resorts to bullying when he feels threatened. He was understandably under stress and fighting a high-stakes battle for his reputation, but his temperament was tested during the hearing, and he failed the test.

Kavanaugh also showed himself to be impermissibly political for a job that is supposed to be above politics. We’re not naive. We understand that federal judges are nominated by presidents and confirmed by senators, and that electoral politics influences their decisions about who gets to serve."

3 Likes