WTF Community

📝 Must Read Op-Ed and Profiles

Fuckin big. Impeachment trial should/could have started way earlier anyway so there’s an almost literal laundry list of crimes that have to be relentlessly covered for public consumption, where not even my fox news-watching racist family can miss at least one thing that makes them pause (even if they won’t admit it out loud).

There will always be that percentage of ppl who will refuse to believe any of it, and no the senate will absolutely not remove him, but that doesn’t mean the information isn’t worth the time to air out and dissect. The generations who have to clean up our mess need to know everything so they can form a battle plan.

The Mueller investigation was already too restricted, ain’t nobody got time for that shit anymore.

(Never did, really, but here we fuckin are. :woman_shrugging:t2:)

5 Likes

Haven’t seen this posted before - but it is well worth a read. A fulsome list of 82 instances that could be considered as a basis for impeachment.
Trump frankly has no conception of the what the role of POTUS entails and displays that ignorance daily.

The crimes for which impeachment is the prescribed punishment are notoriously undefined. And that’s for a reason: Presidential powers are vast, and it’s impossible to design laws to cover every possible abuse of the office’s authority. House Democrats have calculated that an impeachment focused narrowly on the Ukraine scandal will make the strongest legal case against President Trump. But that’s not Trump’s only impeachable offense. A full accounting would include a wide array of dangerous and authoritarian acts — 82, to be precise. His violations fall into seven broad categories of potentially impeachable misconduct that should be weighed, if not by the House, then at least by history.

5 Likes

As the White House struggles to build an anti-impeachment strategy, President Donald Trump turned this week to Lindsey Graham, his staunchest ally in the Senate, to try to stiffen Republican spines in that chamber. It’s not going the way the president must have hoped.

On Thursday, Graham announced that he’d put forward a resolution condemning the House impeachment inquiry. By mid-afternoon, when he actually announced it, the resolution had been watered down to a plea for a different and more transparent process. That was apparently a sop to GOP senators unwilling to go quite that far. And yet by Friday morning, only 44 of 53 Republicans in the Senate had signed on to the resolution. A gesture meant to be a show of solidarity by senators has instead become a sign of the weakness of the president’s position.

5 Likes

From last week.

3 Likes

Omg this! :point_down:

Especially,

Most people know Federalist 65, if they know it at all, for its famous characterization of the impeachable offense: “those offenses which proceed from the misconduct of public men, or, in other words, from the abuse or violation of some public trust. They are of a nature which may with peculiar propriety be denominated POLITICAL, as they relate chiefly to injuries done immediately to the society itself.”

But it is in the sentences that immediately follow these words that Alexander Hamilton peered through the ages and commented on the current Republican failure to abandon Donald Trump:

The prosecution of [impeachments], for this reason, will seldom fail to agitate the passions of the whole community, and to divide it into parties more or less friendly or inimical to the accused. In many cases it will connect itself with the pre-existing factions, and will enlist all their animosities, partialities, influences, and interests on one side or on the other; and in such cases there will always be the greatest danger that the decision will be regulated more by the comparative strength of the parties than by the real demonstrations of innocence or guilt.

Nailed it.

:joy:

4 Likes

Favorite line:

President Trump’s substantive defense against the ongoing impeachment inquiry has crumbled entirely—not just eroded or weakened, but been flattened like a sandcastle hit with a large wave.

4 Likes

@dragonfly9 Hah! Yes, I didn’t even think of that – it’s a Blue Wave that hit it! :ocean:

4 Likes

While I am often wary of Rick Wilson (I have not forgotten where his allegiances rest), his analysis here of Bill Barr is spot on.
https://gen.medium.com/is-william-barr-the-head-of-doj-or-qanon-58d68fc3a31

An older article about how not only do Putin & Russia see the fall of America as the only path to the rise of Russia, but how Trump both enables this & quite literally doesn’t even know what Western-style liberalism (aka “Democracy”) IS.

3 Likes

Call it a hunch, but I don’t think Turkey is going to take down ISIS.

Meet The Man Who Funds ISIS: Bilal Erdogan, The Son Of Turkey’s President

In addition to son Bilal’s illegal and lucrative oil trading for ISIS, Sümeyye Erdogan, the daughter of the Turkish President apparently runs a secret hospital camp inside Turkey just over the Syrian border.

2 Likes

“OK boomer”

Gen Z speaks out.

We have left them with numerous issues to resolve.

“If it’s a jab at anyone it’s the outdated political figures who try to run our lives.”

“You can keep talking…but we’re going to change the future”

‘OK Boomer’ Marks the End of Friendly Generational Relations

Now it’s war: Gen Z has finally snapped over climate change and financial inequality.

4 Likes

The GOP Tax Cuts Didn’t Work

Republicans said the reform would grow the economy by up to 6 percent, stimulate business investment, and pay for itself. None of that happened.

A must-read thread.

4 Likes

Republicans admit they have no fact witnesses — and Trump did it

This compelling editorial explains why, when it comes to defending Trump, the Republicans have bupkis. :man_shrugging:

www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/11/10/republicans-admit-they-have-no-fact-witnesses-trump-did-it

House Republicans acknowledged that they have no witnesses and no documents to dispute the main facts concerning President Trump’s impeachable conduct: a demand from Ukraine for dirt on a political rival; withholding of aid vital to Ukraine’s defense against Russia; concealing evidence of the scheme by moving a transcript to a secret server; and threatening the tipster who alerted Congress to gross malfeasance. They admitted all that? Well, in a manner of speaking they did.

The Post reports:

House Republicans sent Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam B. Schiff (D-Calif.) a list of witnesses they want to testify in the impeachment inquiry, including former vice president Joe Biden’s son Hunter Biden and the anonymous whistleblower who filed the initial complaint against President Trump. …

Schiff is likely to reject many, if not all, of the witnesses from the Republicans’ wish list.

Hunter Biden lacks any direct knowledge of anything that occurred in the Trump White House, and hence he cannot rebut evidence of Trump’s demand that Ukraine interfere with our election. By Republicans’ own admission, the whistleblower lacks first-hand knowledge of events. Witnesses who testified out of public view have corroborated the crux of the case against Trump — that he pressured Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to investigate his political rivals — so the Democrats see no need for the whistleblower, who heard the story secondhand, to testify. Three career State Department officials are returning next week for the public hearings.

All Republicans have are distractions, stunts to generate claims of unfairness, and gimmicks to threaten the life and career of the whistleblower. It’s remarkable, really, that they could stipulate to every fact about which the witnesses testified under oath.

Republicans implicitly admit that there is no disputing Army Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman’s testimony. Vindman testified that, in the July 25 call, “there was no doubt” Trump made a demand of the Ukrainian president to initiate an investigation of a U.S. citizen, a “deliverable” to help his presidential reelection. “When the president of the United States makes a request for a favor, it certainly seems — I would take it as a demand,” Vindman testified. There are apparently no witnesses to contradict his testimony and none to dispute it was of such concern that Vindman went to John Eisenberg, the top national security lawyer in the White House.

Republicans apparently have no evidence to contradict the testimony of Fiona Hill, who served as a top Russia adviser to the White House. She testified that former national security adviser John Bolton, in a meeting following an exchange between U.S. Ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland and Ukrainian officials that made explicit that any White House meeting was conditioned on an announcement of an investigation into the Bidens, “basically said — in fact, he directly said: Rudy Giuliani is a hand grenade that is going to blow everybody up. He did make it clear that he didn’t feel that there was anything that he could personally do about this.” In other words, the national security adviser knew hijacking foreign policy for Trump’s political gain was wrong and likely illegal.

Likewise, there is nothing to undermine Vindman’s testimony that the Office of Management and Budget put a hold on funds appropriated by Congress to Ukraine, an action contrary to U.S. policy, injurious to Ukraine and a function of the Trump-Giuliani campaign smear operation. (“Basically we were trying to get to the bottom of why this hold was in place, why OMB was applying this hold. There were multiple memos that were transmitted from my directorate to Ambassador Bolton on, you know, keeping him abreast of this particular development.”) Republicans have no evidence to dispute that.

Republicans have no evidence to dispute Hill’s complete debunking of the nutty conspiracy theory that Ukraine interfered in the 2016 U.S. presidential election. Republicans have no evidence to dispute that Giuliani and his cronies obtained the removal of Marie Yovanovitch, the competent and respected U.S. envoy to Kyiv. Republicans have yet to disprove evidence that Sondland, Giuliani and acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney were acting as agents of the president.

Republicans cannot dispute the testimony of George Kent that “POTUS wanted nothing less than President Zelensky to go to microphone and say investigations, Biden, and Clinton.” Republicans cannot produce evidence to contradict Kent’s conclusion that “Mr. Giuliani, at that point, had been carrying on a campaign for several months full of lies and incorrect information” against Yovanovitch, or was dispatched by Trump to obtain dirt on Biden. …

The Republican Party stands foursquare behind a president soliciting a bribe, endangering U.S. national security and attempting to intimidate witnesses and cover his tracks.

4 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1nicGzzIls

An inspiring story from the BBC of what a huge difference one, dedicated journalist can make.

How one Indian cobbler traded polish for print in the hope of telling the unheard stories of his town’s underprivileged.

3 Likes

Thanks for linking to that @Keaton_James. A truly inspiring story. On a similar vein I wish to highlight another journalist currently visiting New Zealand from the Australian Asylum Seekers detention centre on Manus Island.

Mr Boochani, who is an award-winning author, journalist, and advocate for refugees held in a detention camp on Manus Island by the Australian government, flew into Auckland last night with a visitor visa.

At the airport, he told reporters this was the first time he had felt happy in a long time.

“I survived, you know, when I was in Manus or Port Moresby. I was just thinking about getting freedom … affect Australia, challenge Australia, make people aware of this situation. But I think it’s the first time that I feel happy because I survived.”

The journalist has been detained on Manus Island since 2013 after arriving in Australian territory by boat.

He wrote the book No Friend but the Mountains on a smartphone app while imprisoned on the island, and won multiple international awards including Australia’s richest literary prize.

Golriz Ghahraman :heavy_check_mark: @golrizghahraman

Thrilled and exhausted and free 😭

View image on Twitter

10:53 PM - Nov 14, 2019

Twitter Ads info and privacy

462 people are talking about this

This morning, he was welcomed in Christchurch, where he will be a special guest at a literary event on November 29, by Mayor Lianne Dalziel and Ngāi Tahu.

According to the Guardian , he took a 34-hour journey across three countries and six timezones in the Asia Pacific before reaching New Zealand.

He told RNZ’s Morning Report programme today it was a long journey with struggles from PNG to New Zealand.

"It was quite hard to travel with a blue passport, which is for the UNHCR for the refugees, because at Port Moresby in the airport they ask many questions and it took a long time to get in the plane, in Philippines it was like that too, and in New Zealand.

In the top photo the Mayor of Christchurch City Lianne Dalziel gives Behrouz Boochani a hongi, a traditional NZ Maori welcome - where the breath of each is shared.

The twitter link is from Golriz Ghahraman herself a Refugee and now a Member of Parliament - she is a Green Party MP.

4 Likes

There Will Be No Victory in Dishonor

President Trump’s pardons for three service members accused of war crimes will have lasting consequences.

None of the services seems happy with President Donald Trump’s decision to pardon two service members accused of war crimes, and reverse the demotion of a third. The Navy’s reply, however, sets some kind of record of disdain. The Twitter account of the U.S. Navy’s Chief of Information Office wrote on November 15: “As the Commander in Chief, the President has the authority to restore Special Warfare Operator First Class Gallagher to the pay grade of E-7. We acknowledge his order and are implementing it.”

Those icy words breathe the mood of the admonition from Band of Brothers : “We salute the rank, not the man.”

To understand why the Navy—and the other services, too—reacted so negatively to the pardons, here’s a story I heard on a visit to Germany a couple of months ago. I had the chance to talk with a senior U.S. officer in that country.

The officer had been posted all over the world during his long and distinguished career, but his very first overseas assignment took him to Stuttgart in 1983. The move into the apartment left behind a mess in the street: packing tape, that kind of thing. He knew how conscientious the Germans are about litter. But he had little children then and he was exhausted after the move, so he fell asleep intending to wake up early the next day to finish the job.

He did rise early, only to find that somebody had done the job for him. He interpreted this as passive-aggressive criticism by a neighbor, so he knocked on the next door to apologize. The door was answered by an older man who spoke clear, although strongly accented, English. Yes, the neighbor had cleaned up the mess. No, no apology was necessary. He had noticed that the officer had a young family, and he understood how difficult it was to move with children. The neighbor had wanted to extend a welcome, because he was a great admirer of the U.S. military.

“Where did you learn such good English?” asked the officer of his new friend.

“In Louisiana.”

“Do you have family there? A job?”

“No, I was a prisoner of war. I was captured in Tunisia in 1943.”

“I’m sorry you met America that way.”

“Don’t be. I ate better in America than I ever ate in the Afrika Korps. And I’m alive, which I would not be if I had not been captured. So when I see American soldiers, I always try to say, ‘Thank you.’”

The American officer who told me the story would later lead part of the cleanup effort at Abu Ghraib, after the exposure of maltreatment of prisoners there. He told his troops in Iraq: The way the U.S. Army had treated German POWs in 1943 paid security dividends for 40 years afterward. The way the Army treats its prisoners today will matter just as much 40 years from now.

The armed forces of the United States do their utmost to fight lawfully and humanely not only because it is the right thing to do. They do their utmost because it is also the smart thing to do. Every war ends. The memories from that war persist for decades.

War is horrible enough when fought honorably. To join dishonor to horror is no victory for any American cause.

4 Likes

I totally agree with the sentiments voiced above @Windthin . I myself served 14 years as an officer in the RNZN. A crime committed in war is just as much a crime as any other. And when it takes place in a situation where the perpetrator is in a position of power, it is even more deplorable. This action by Trump may garner some favour from some, but it sends a very poor message to the world.

5 Likes

I found this article by David Roberts on Vox extremely interesting. Maybe because I studied Epistemology at Stage 3 level in my Philosophy degree :nerd_face:

tldr:

Epistemology is the branch of philosophy that has to do with knowing and coming to know things — what counts as true, what counts as evidence, how we accumulate knowledge, and the like. It’s where you find schools of thought like skepticism (we can’t truly know anything) and realism (the universe contains observer-independent facts we can come to know).

Tribal epistemology, as I see it, is when tribalism comes to systematically subordinate epistemological principles.

Tribal epistemology happens when tribal interests subsume transpartisan epistemological principles, like standards of evidence, internal coherence, and defeasibility. “Good for our tribe” becomes the primary determinant of what is true; “part of our tribe” becomes the primary determinant of who to trust.

A circular logic, which has become quite familiar in the impeachment affair, emerges: Anyone who says anything contrary to the tribe marks themselves as an enemy of the tribe (cough deep state cough); enemies of the tribe cannot but trusted, so their testimony or evidence can be ignored. Thus, by definition, nothing that questions the tribal narrative can be trusted.

A decades-long effort on the right has resulted in a parallel set of institutions meant to encourage tribal epistemology. They mimic the form of mainstream media, think tanks, and the academy, but without the restraint of transpartisan principles. They are designed to advance the interests of the right, to tell stories and produce facts that support the tribe. That is the ur-goal; the rhetoric and formalisms of critical thinking are retrofit around it.

5 Likes

Rings true … and confirms the all-or-nothing approach of ‘he’s our guy, and whatever he does is fine.’ The all-in approach is what T is betting on.

And Trump, the ultimate tribalist, has made it clear that he doesn’t want to hear any of these half-ass stories about how he did something wrong but it’s not that bad. He demands ultimate loyalty, and to him loyalty means insisting that he did nothing wrong at all.

3 Likes

Every vet (or child of a vet like myself) I know sees it; the danger, the message to the world that we are above the law. If we stop playing by the rules of engagement, so will others. And all of our soldiers will be in danger.

4 Likes