WTF Community

📝 Must Read Op-Ed and Profiles

For the Op-Ed pieces that are too well written, important or are simply must reads.

2 Likes
Master and Commander
The Latest – Tuesday, January 5
The Latest – Thursday, January 7
The Latest – Wednesday, January 6
The Latest – Monday, January 4
The Latest – Wednesday, December 23 (Holiday Weekend Edition)
The Latest - Tuesday, December 22
The Latest – Monday December 21
The Latest – Friday, December 18
The Latest – Wednesday, December 16
The Latest – Thursday, December 10
The Latest – Tuesday, December 8
The Latest – Wednesday, December 2
The Latest – Monday, December 7
The Latest – Tuesday, December 1
The Latest – Monday, November 30
The Latest – Wednesday, November 25 (🦃 Thanksgiving weekend edition)
The Latest - Tuesday, November 24
The Latest – Monday, November 23
The Latest – Thursday, November 19
The Latest – Tuesday, November 17
The Latest – Friday, November 13 (Weekend Edition)
The Latest – Week of March 1
The Latest – Thursday, November 12
The Latest – Tuesday, November 10
The Latest – Monday, November 9
The Latest – Monday, November 16
The Latest – For the Week of February 22
The Latest – Tuesday, February 16
The Latest – Monday, February 15
The Latest – Wednesday, February 10 (Impeachment 2.0 Edition)
The Latest – Tuesday, February 9 (Impeachment 2.0 Edition)
The Latest – Monday, February 8
The Latest – Wednesday, Feb. 3
The Latest – Tuesday, February 2
The Latest – Monday, Feb. 1
The Latest – Friday, January 29 (Weekend Edition)
The Latest – Thursday, January 28
The Latest – Wednesday, January 27
The Latest – Monday, January 25
The Latest – Thursday, January 21
The Latest – Wednesday, January 20 (Inauguration Day)
The Latest – Tuesday, January 19 (Byedon Edition)
The Latest – Monday, January 18
The Latest – Friday, January 15
The Latest – Thursday, January 14
The Latest – Wednesday, January 13 (Impeachment 2.0 Edition)
The Latest – Tuesday, January 12
The Latest – Monday, January 11
The Latest – Friday, January 8

Watch all the videos if you can stomach it.

Must read

3 Likes

This Op-Ed was a controversial topic this morning on Twitter (before more Russia info broke at least). The title of it is terrible, but there is two sentences buried deep that get to the core of it:

Gun ownership should never be outlawed, just as it isn’t outlawed in
Britain or Australia. But it doesn’t need a blanket Constitutional protection,
either.

This was written by Bret Stephens - the conservative columnist for the NY Times (also, borderline climate denier - but that’s for another day). While, I disagree with several of his points of why Democrats have “failed” at passing better gun control – I still think it’s a must read to have a different perspective.

I believe that majority of Democrats would actually back repealing the second amendment if it were a true option. But, over the years because it is defined as a “right”, it’s a fine line to manager. It’s important to see it as: repealing 2A ≠ banning guns completely.

Plus, there is also the “Constitutional Conundrum of the Second Amendment commas” - yes, the comma placement could completely change 2A as we know it today (short twitter thread about it here).

3 Likes

I’m not 100% sure what to make of this yet, but the simple concept of Mikhail Gorbachev writing a Op-Ed for the Washington Post to make a plea to two current Presidents, is…mind boggling.

2 Likes

More of a profile piece than an Op-Ed but definitely a must read. Gave me chills and not the fun kind. :grimacing:

5 Likes

I’m not sure if this would be considered an Op-Ed, since all of Crooked Media’s articles would be.

:joy: Trump’s Golden Rule of Governing by Brian Beutler

“As long as Trump is president, America will be subject to government by pee-pee tape. He will eventually feel the splashback, but by then we will all be drenched.”

:disappointed_relieved: The Death Loop by Jon Lovett

“It’s been two minutes since the last attack. The phones on the bodies are starting to ring. And elsewhere in some sad, ugly mind, an idea is taking hold.”

1 Like

:astonished::nerd_face:

4 Likes

Holy hell this guy has had quite a streak of epic eloquence. I know nothing about him personally or policy-wise, but right now he is doing fine work speaking out. I’m looking forward to seeing what actions he takes for the remainder of his term and then as a private citizen after.

2 Likes

Lawrence O’Donnell said his Senate Floor speech was the best and most eloquent he’s ever heard (and he’s heard ALOT of them!).

This story is more like a podcast than a traditional Op-ed about Milllennials. Well worth the 20+ minutes of listening!

2 Likes
1 Like

I meant to post this before – this is a must read. Ezra Klein did an amazing job on this.

3 Likes

Linking per @Seabass’s suggestion since this is pretty essential reading:

1 Like

From the editorial board of USA Today of all places. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

USA Today back at it with a Op-Ed from Sally Yates:

2 Likes

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Her best yet! You must have activated the spy cam @Pet_Proletariat, I’m wearing my “I like my politics thigh high” tank :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :muscle:t3:

2 Likes

Great piece from my least favorite “Never-Trumper”, David Brooks of the New York Times.
All this year his writing seemed so lost but in this piece he reflects on the state of his party.

2 Likes

Wow :open_mouth:

1 Like