WTF Community

👑 Portrait of a President

Trump’s new favorite defense for his stupidity is “it was sarcasm” apparently. We’ve already seen him do it with the bleach incident.

And now this:

2 Likes

3 Likes

Thx for tracking @Windthin - here’s some more.

He’s incorrigible …

3 Likes

Oh, he’s a such moron. A while back he went on a re-tweet rampage trying to own the libs by re-tweeting MAGA firefighter responses to Dan Bongino. One of the people he re-tweeted apparently realized it and wasn’t quite so fond of him as he thought. Below are two screen captures I got of their post. At some point they changed their avatar to the lower picture and back again. I don’t know that he ever even realized it.

1 Like

Not funny… Not. At. All.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/27/trump-is-very-subtle-comic-genius/

April 27, 2020 at 2:55 p.m. PDT

Your president is so funny.

How funny is he?

President Trump is so funny that after he speculated at a White House briefing that ingesting disinfectants could cure covid-19, the Maryland governor said that hundreds of people called a state hotline asking whether they should drink bleach!

Hahahahahaha.

That’s almost as funny as the time Trump told everybody to take chloroquine to stop the coronavirus — because “what have you got to lose?” — and a guy in Arizona died because he ate fish-tank cleaner containing chloroquine.

Hilarious!

One of the many benefits of the pandemic is to be reminded how amazingly humorous the president is. He has the best jokes! But because he’s a very subtle comic genius, his wit, sadly, is frequently lost on others.

When he said he had asked federal scientists to study whether household disinfectants could be taken internally to fight the virus, he later explained “I was asking a sarcastic, and a very sarcastic, question to the reporters in the room about disinfectant on the inside.”

Without a hint of sarcasm, I say: I am currently doubling over and slapping my knee.

In conventional usage, sarcasm, from the Greek “sarkasmos,” or sneer, means to use irony in a cutting way — often enthusiastically stating the opposite of what one means. But like all pioneers in the field of comedy, Trump has shifted the boundaries so that “sarcastic” means, roughly, “a term applied retroactively to something I wish I hadn’t said.”

For example, when Trump asked Vladimir Putin’s help in 2016 hacking Hillary Clinton’s email (“Russia, if you’re listening . . .”) his joke was so nuanced that nobody knew it was a joke until Trump disclosed it much later. “I made the statement quoted in Question II(d) in jest and sarcastically,” he (or his lawyers) declared in his written deposition to special counsel Robert Mueller.

What a cutup!

Likewise, Trump said during the 2016 campaign that “I love WikiLeaks” because it released Democrats’ emails. But he was so bone dry that we did not learn until three years later that Trump had been joking — and then only from his press secretary.

The incorrigible wag fooled us again when he publicly called on China to investigate the Bidens. It was all a lark!

Likewise, his deadpan wit went over everybody’s head when he announced: “We’re building a wall on the border in New Mexico and we’re building a wall in Colorado!” Calling Colorado a border state, he subsequently informed us, was done “kiddingly.” Upon learning this, I enjoyed a retroactive-but-hearty LOL.

Because there is no statute of limitations under Trump’s definition of sarcasm, it would be natural for his predecessors to proclaim, ex post facto, that key mistakes of their presidencies were also humorous exercises:

Barack Obama’s claim that “if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor”? Medical sarcasm.

George W. Bush’s “Mission Accomplished” moment on the aircraft carrier? Military sarcasm.

Bill Clinton’s “It depends on what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is?” Sexual sarcasm.

Before long, descendants of Neville Chamberlain will make the case that “peace for our time” was misunderstood cynicism.

But Trump’s sarcasm is so cleverly inscrutable it fools even him. Of his claim that Obama was the “founder” of Islamic State, Trump said, “obviously, I’m being sarcastic . . . but not that sarcastic.”

The rubes in the fake news media have repeatedly missed the joke when the droll Trump said he could get away with shooting somebody on Fifth Avenue, proposed “Second Amendment people” stop Hillary Clinton, said Americans should “sit up at attention” for him, mused about being “president for life” and serving “at least for 10 or 14 years,” called Democrats “treasonous” for not applauding his State of the Union address, encouraged police brutality, applauded a congressman’s assault on a reporter and offered to pardon aides who break laws.

It was all, he and aides later asserted, in jest. False claims by Trump University? Sarcastic. That day he looked heavenward and called himself “the chosen one,” after sharing a tweet proclaiming him “the King of Israel” and “the second coming of God”?

“I was kidding, being sarcastic,” Trump said — later.

Get it?

After he expressed disappointment in 2016 that his speech on the Mall was not as well-attended as the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.’s 1963 March on Washington, he later clarified that “everybody knew I was being sarcastic.”

And the president has inspired imitators. The new White House chief of staff, Mark Meadows, told the New York Post over the weekend that Trump works so much that “the biggest concern I have” is making sure Trump “gets some time to get a quick bite to eat.”

Trump working so hard he can’t find time to eat? Now that’s funny.

3 Likes

:+1:

Americans appear to be losing faith in what President Donald Trump says about the coronavirus pandemic, with almost everyone rejecting Trump’s remark that COVID-19 may be treated by injecting infected people with bleach or other disinfectants, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Tuesday.

The April 27-28 public opinion poll found that fewer than half of all adults in the U.S. - 47% - said they were “very” or “somewhat” likely to follow recommendations Trump makes about the virus. That is 15 percentage points lower than the number who said they would follow Trump’s advice in a survey that ran at the end of March.

…

And 98% of Americans said they would not try to inject themselves with bleach or other disinfectants if they got the coronavirus, including 98% of Democrats and 98% of Republicans. That is a near-unanimous rejection

2 Likes

T losing his mind over the thought of losing to Biden…gets in screaming match with Brad Parscale…campaign manager. Keep it up T…

The president spoke with campaign manager Brad Parscale, White House senior adviser and son-in-law Jared Kushner and RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel, among other officials, in calls and meetings last Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, according to the three people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to reveal internal discussions.

One call on Wednesday — with Parscale patched in from his home in Florida and McDaniel from hers in Michigan — was designed to present grim polling data to the president to encourage him to reduce the frequency of coronavirus briefings or to stop taking questions, after seeing his numbers slip for several weeks, officials said.

Trump resisted the pleas, saying people “love” the briefings and think he is “fighting for them,” a person with knowledge of the Wednesday conversation said. Trump has long been distrustful of polling data presented to him when the numbers are negative, aides say.

The two polls given to Trump — one from the Republican National Committee and another from the Trump campaign — both showed Trump trailing Biden in swing states, officials said. His political team has grown more concerned in recent weeks, as the briefings became more combative while the economy cratered and coronavirus deaths continued to rise.

…

Aides described Trump as in a particularly foul mood last week because of the polling data and news coverage of his administration’s response to the pandemic, according to two of the people familiar with the discussions. In one call, he berated Parscale over the polling data, the two people said.

At one point in that call, Trump said he might sue Parscale, though one of the people with knowledge of the comments said he made the remark in jest. News of Trump’s eruption at Parscale was first reported Wednesday by CNN.

Trump told Parscale that he did not believe the polling that had been presented to him, even though it came from the campaign and the RNC.

“I’m not losing to Joe Biden,” Trump said at one point, both of these people said, adding that the president used profanities throughout the call

3 Likes

May 21st, 2020. As of today total US deaths: 94,566. First recorded death of Covid-19 was in Kirkland, WA February 29th, 2020. I would say this is three months too late. :unamused:

3 Likes

Better late than never??:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Yes but better late than never. :neutral_face:

4 Likes

Yes, why? He had a quick visit to his doctor in November…which no one said anything about.

6 months on, Trump hasn’t completed his physical. The White House won’t say why.

It’s been more than six months since President Donald Trump claimed to have started his annual physical at Walter Reed hospital but the White House is declining to explain why he has yet to complete the yearly doctor’s examination.

Senior administration officials did not immediately respond to NBC News’ request for comment about the delay — despite Trump announcing this weekhe was taking an unproven and potentially dangerous drug after being exposed to an aide who tested positive for coronavirus.

Asked in early March about when he would complete his physical, the president told reporters, “I’m going probably over the next 90 days. I’m so busy, I can’t do it.”

A month later, as the coronavirus pandemic hospitalized UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Trump said he would finish the exam “at the appropriate time” adding, “but I feel very good.”

A president’s annual physical typically occurs at the beginning of a new year. Trump’s 2019 exam was conducted in February, and his 2018 physical was conducted in January. It is uncommon for a president to complete a routine physical exam months apart and in multiple stages.

“As a part of granting a president as much power as we do, he has the obligation to demonstrate that he is well or, if he is not, to let us know exactly what is amiss,” said presidential historian Michael Beschloss.

3 Likes

This is as far as former Prime Minister Tony Blair will say on T…he lacks a global point of view, and T only sees what he needs essentially. Blair does warn of the fear of a total economic meltdown…but wants individuals to be aware and warned take super precautions with their health during the pandemic

He added that he was less worried about individual comments and more concerned about what he called “the absence of global coordination.”

He then went on to compare Trump to his predecessors.

“If I think back to the times when I’m dealing with Bill Clinton or George Bush, Barack Obama as well, the most important thing at a time like this is to say, ‘How do you bring the world together?’”

That included working together to find a vaccine, accelerating the development of therapeutics and testing capability and making sure economic measures are in place to ease what will be a massive economic problem for the world, he said.

2 Likes

Have never been a great fan of Tony Blair; he did good work on orchestrating the “Good Friday Agreement” ending the troubles in Northern Island. But then undermined that with the war in the Middle East and the WMD. And his domestic policies increased, rather than decreased inequality in the UK.
However, like everyone else who has any political nous, he sees the ineptitude of Trump’s admin, and the harm it is causing, not only to America, but to the whole world. At a time when we should all be working together, Trump’s “America First” policy hampers any united progress towards dealing with a world wide crisis.
“We are all in this together” doesn’t just apply to the citizens of one country, it applies to every person on the planet.

5 Likes

Yes. I just want more of a piling on to T…highlighting his reckless ways and do not hold these politicians to any standard because we are dealing with this elephant in the world (room,) :elephant:

2 Likes

Response from the husband of woman, T is tweeting about who died of an accident, during her work with the Rep Joe Scarborough. Timothy Klausutis has a letter to Twitter head, Jack Dorsey requesting that Twitter delete T’s malicious tweets.

More fallout - CNN’s request to R’s, aides, and family to do something about T’s vicious tweets.

3 Likes

Today’s press briefing…Bonkers

and just today…he is crazed.

3 Likes

More on the terrible attacks on the Klausutis family.

The Malignant Cruelty of Donald Trump

The president is defaming the memory of a woman who died nearly 20 years ago—and inflicting pain upon her family today.

“I’m asking you to intervene in this instance because the President of the United States has taken something that does not belong to him—the memory of my dead wife—and perverted it for perceived political gain.”

There may be a more damning thing that’s been said about an American president, but none immediately comes to mind.

This sentence is from a heartbreaking May 21 letter written by Timothy Klausutis to Jack Dorsey, the CEO of Twitter, asking Dorsey to delete a series of tweets by Donald Trump. Klausutis is the widower of Lori Kaye Klausutis, who died nearly 20 years ago. (Timothy Klausutis, who never remarried, still lives in the house he shared with his wife.) The autopsy conducted at the time of Lori’s death confirmed that it was an accident; she had fainted as the result of a heart condition, hitting her head on a desk. There’s not a thimble of evidence of foul play.

But here’s where things go from being tragic to being twisted.

When Lori Klausutis died, she worked for then–Republican Representative Joe Scarborough. Today, Scarborough is a fierce critic of the president from his perch at MSNBC, where he co-hosts Morning Joe . That is why the president has been peddling a cruel and baseless conspiracy theory that Scarborough had Klausutis murdered.

This is a topic most journalists are inherently reluctant to cover, given the danger that it will draw more attention to a vile lie. But with the president and his son Don Jr., who between them have more than 85 million Twitter followers, sending out lunatic tweets and calling for “the opening of a Cold Case against Psycho Joe Scarborough,” human decency requires a response.

That Donald Trump would resort to conspiracy theories to attack his perceived enemies is hardly a revelation. After all, Trump employed a racist conspiracy theory against Barack Obama, which helped him gain political prominence in the Republican Party, and later claimed that President Obama had wiretapped his phones. During the 2016 primary, Trump linked Ted Cruz’s father, Rafael, to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy and retweeted a supporter who claimed that Marco Rubio was ineligible to run because his parents were not natural-born U.S. citizens. Trump suggested that the suicide of Vince Foster, a former aide to President Bill Clinton, and the death of former Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia were murders; that childhood vaccines cause autism; and that windmills cause cancer. He’s claimed that climate change is “a total and very expensive hoax” by China’s government, that a cybersecurity company framed Russia for election interference, that Ukraine was hiding Hillary Clinton’s missing emails, and that voter fraud cost him the popular vote in 2016. ( Business Insider provided a useful summary of more than two dozen of Trump’s conspiracy theories in October.)

Conspiracy theories have long been evidence of Trump’s twisted psychology. He has always traveled quite easily from the real world to the twilight zone, depending on which reality suits his needs at the moment. And when someone holds him accountable—when someone calls him out for his incompetence and ethical wrongdoing—conspiracy theories often become his weapon of choice. At such moments, conspiracy theories are fine, but conspiracy theories with the added element of cruelty are even better. Which brings us back to the heartbreaking letter from Timothy Klausutis.

Donald Trump doesn’t merely want to criticize his opponents; he takes a depraved delight in inflicting pain on others, even if there’s collateral damage in the process, as is the case with the Klausutis family. There’s something quite sick about it all.

A lot of human casualties result from the cruelty of malignant narcissists like Donald Trump—casualties, it should be said, that his supporters in the Republican Party, on various pro-Trump websites and news outlets, and on talk radio are willing to tolerate or even defend. Their philosophy seems to be that you need to break a few eggs to make an omelet. If putting up with Trump’s indecency is the price of maintaining power, so be it. Will Trump’s white evangelical supporters—Franklin Graham Jr., Robert Jeffress, Eric Metaxas, Mike Huckabee, Ralph Reed—defend his behavior as the perfect embodiment of the New Testament ethic, the credo of Jesus, the message from the Sermon on the Mount? “Blessed are the brutal, for they shall inherit the Earth.”

Some people will argue that Trump’s promotion of this conspiracy theory is just his latest distraction, a shiny object to pull our focus away from the human and economic cost of COVID-19. Maybe. But I’m not at all convinced that this will help Trump politically.

Remember, Trump’s approval rating was often well under 50 percent even when the economy was doing well and America was at relative peace abroad. There’s plenty of evidence, including the 2018 midterm elections, that Trump’s dehumanizing tactics erode his support, especially among white suburban women. And I rather doubt that people will have forgotten Trump’s reckless handling of the pandemic by November; defaming the memory of a woman who died nearly two decades ago and causing renewed grief for her family isn’t likely to help him with most voters, either.

But whatever the political ramifications of this current lie being promulgated by the president, the rest of us need to name it, and to make Trump supporters own it. They are his, and he is theirs.

In his letter to Jack Dorsey, Timothy Klausutis wrote that his wife’s death, in 2001, was “the single most painful thing that I have ever had to deal with in my 52 years and continues to haunt her parents and sister.” He added:

I have mourned my wife every day since her passing. I have tried to honor her memory and our marriage. As her husband, I feel that one of my marital obligations is to protect her memory as I would have protected her in life. There has been a constant barrage of falsehoods, half-truths, innuendo and conspiracy theories since the day she died. I realize that may sound like an exaggeration, unfortunately it is the verifiable truth. Because of this, I have struggled to move forward with my life.

And this:

The frequency, intensity, ugliness, and promulgation of these horrifying lies ever increases on the internet. These conspiracy theorists, including most recently the President of the United States, continue to spread their bile and misinformation on your platform disparaging the memory of my wife and our marriage.

Near the end of his letter to Dorsey, asking him to delete Trump’s tweets—which Dorsey has declined to do—Klausutis wrote:

I would also ask that you consider Lori’s niece and two nephews who will eventually come across this filth in the future. They have never met their Aunt and it pains me to think they would ever have to “learn” about her this way.

My wife deserves better.

There is a wickedness in our president that long ago corrupted him. It’s corrupted his party. And it’s in the process of corrupting our country, too.

He is a crimson stain on American decency. He needs to go.

4 Likes

Shameful. But that is T’s brand. :exploding_head:

He’s tweeting about how bad The Atlantic Magazine is and great that they had to layoff people now.

3 Likes

Why do working-class white men—the most reliable component of Donald Trump’s base—support someone who is, by their own standards, the least masculine man ever to hold the modern presidency? The question is not whether Trump fails to meet some archaic or idealized version of masculinity. The president’s inability to measure up to Marcus Aurelius or Omar Bradley is not the issue. Rather, the question is why so many of Trump’s working-class white male voters refuse to hold Trump to their own standards of masculinity—why they support a man who behaves more like a little boy.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen that. He loves to neg on companies that are suffering, ignoring that it means massive job losses, something no past president would be doing.

3 Likes