WTF Community

👑 Portrait of a President

curated-threads

These attributes - Inability to admit error, only looking for rosy assessments, and tendency towards magical thinking are among the worst fatal flaws in this presidency. T will never get a realistic handle on any big issue if it brings him towards looking like a loser.

Just as his niece, Mary Trump had been alluding - you never admit you are in any way wrong which was instilled by T’s father, who only spoke in winning terms. Otherwise, you (and T is) one big loser.

*president’s inability to wholly address the crisis is due to his almost pathological unwillingness to admit error; a positive feedback loop of overly rosy assessments and data from advisers and Fox News; and a penchant for magical thinking

People close to Trump, many speaking anonymously to share candid discussions and impressions, say the president’s inability to wholly address the crisis is due to his almost pathological unwillingness to admit error; a positive feedback loop of overly rosy assessments and data from advisers and Fox News; and a penchant for magical thinking that prevented him from fully engaging with the pandemic.

In recent weeks, with more than 146,000 Americans now dead from the virus, the White House has attempted to overhaul — or at least rejigger — its approach. The administration has revived news briefings led by Trump himself and presented the president with projections showing how the virus is now decimating Republican states full of Trump voters. Officials have also set up a separate, smaller coronavirus working group led by Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus response coordinator, along with Trump son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner.

(Need to cross post in Coronavirus area - did not know there was a smaller Coronavrus task force with Dr. Birx and Jared. Where’s Pence’s group?)

🤮 Coronavirus (Community Thread)
(David Bythewood) #442

Building the Wall.

No, not that wall.

This wall:

White House continues building 13-foot high ‘anti climb’ wall after protests

Twice as high fences will reduce views from iconic Pennsylvania Avenue, one month after anti-protest barricades

The White House is on course to complete a planned multi-million dollar perimeter fence replacement as construction continues.

Pictures shared online showed construction advancing along Pennsylvania Avenue, where views of the White House are expected to be impaired when the new fence is completed next year.

Parts of the street have been blocked off and a temporary wall has been erected, as construction takes place.

Under plans that pre-date Donald Trump’s administration, the White House will upgrade all perimeter steel fencing with new 13-foot “anti-climb” fences.

The enhanced security measures also include wider and stronger fence posts, intrusion detection technology, and “future security threat” mitigation, according to the plans.

The current fence, at six-foot tall, was said to have permitted multiple intrusion attempts and lapses in security over the past decade.

One incident in 2014 saw an armed man enter the White House, which led to the resignation of the then chief of the US Secret Service.

The Secret Service, in partnership with the US National Parks Service, says some 3,500 feet of steel fencing will encircle the White House upon the project’s completion.

The construction, which began a year ago, comes after temporary 8-foot barricades and an enhanced security zone were created to counteract Black Lives Matter demonstrations in Washington DC last month.

That decision, which came amid nationwide anger over the Minneapolis police killing of George Floyd – an unarmed black man – was condemned as walling-off protesters from “the people’s house”.

“It’s a sad commentary that the [White] House and its inhabitants have to be walled off,” said District of Colombia mayor Muriel Boswer last month.

Good observation…“Nobody likes me.”
check twitter photo below…chron says it all. :exploding_head:

Trump complains that Americans like Fauci more than him

WASHINGTON — President Trump used a White House press briefing on Tuesday to wonder aloud why he was less liked than Dr. Anthony Fauci, a prominent member of the White House

“Nobody likes me,” the president said in a rare moment of self-reflection. “It can only be my personality, that’s all.” His lament came on the same day that the nation surpassed the grim benchmark of 150,000 deaths as a result of the pandemic.

“Remember, he’s working for this administration,” Trump said of Fauci, who is not a political appointee. “He’s working with us. We could’ve gotten other people. We could’ve gotten somebody else. It didn’t have to be Dr. Fauci.”

Trump has long been at odds with Fauci, who is the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health. A veteran of the battle to find a cure for HIV an AIDS, Fauci is now serving his sixth president. And though he is adept at protecting his domain, he has lately been forced to navigate a political climate in which science and expertise have been treated with profound suspicion.

https://twitter.com/natemcdermott/status/1288250025898905602?s=20

T being interviewed…squeamishly horrible man.

Watch “AXIOS on HBO: President Trump Exclusive Interview (Full Episode) | HBO” on YouTube

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1290520743583690754?s=19

When they start on the number of American deaths and he says ”it is what it is” :exploding_head:

Ok, half-way through and this is excruciating.

Wow. He’s getting worse. He was always just a stream of consciousness vocalized but in this video he seems very confused by his own thoughts often begrudgingly conceding to :swan:‘s points. As the Speaker of the House says, we should pray for the President and the people of United States of America.
:pray:

Yes…he’s trapped in his own rhetoric, and not making the mental connections to be able to state back a true argument, which is always spin. Love the way Swan says right at the beginning that “People are frustrated listening to the salesmanship…and are looking for facts” (approx quote).

Yup…he bulldozes through any coherent argument…then spins it to China, or some other group that needs to be blamed - (Dems are creating riots, and antifa is running wild etc)

Sometimes I think Swan was grinning at him, or perhaps laughing when the camera was facing T, which was interesting to consider. The interviewer Swan was beyond patient, but did get in a lot of jabs.

Yes, T is failing…and all the stuff about mental decline is right there in front of us.

And Pelosi is right…pray for this man…that hopes he finds the exit door soon. :pray:

Another critique.

https://twitter.com/jonfavs/status/1290491415026229249?s=19

(David Bythewood) #448

Honestly, I’ve been waiting for this. Who didn’t see this coming after how he talked about John McCain?

President Trump declined to praise the late Rep. John Lewis in an interview, claiming that he himself has done more for Black Americans than anyone else. "He didn’t come to my inauguration. He didn’t come to my State of the Union speeches,” Trump said. “He should’ve come.”

President Trump declined to praise the late Rep. John Lewis in an interview with Axios on HBO , claiming that he himself had done more for the Black community than anyone else. And Trump criticized the civil rights icon’s decision not to attend his 2017 presidential inauguration.

When asked in the interview, which aired Monday evening, how history would remember the Georgia lawmaker who died last month, Trump said: "I don’t know. I really don’t know.

“I don’t know John Lewis. He chose not to come to my inauguration. … I never met John Lewis actually, I don’t believe,” Trump said.

Pressed whether he was impressed by the late congressman, who was born into a family of sharecroppers and worked his way to becoming one of the most influential leaders in the civil rights movement before being elected to Congress, Trump deferred.

“I find a lot of people impressive. I find many people not impressive,” Trump said. "He didn’t come to my inauguration. He didn’t come to my State of the Union speeches. And that’s OK, that’s his right. And again, nobody has done more for Black Americans than I have. He should’ve come. I think he made a big mistake.

“He was a person that devoted a lot of energy and lot of heart to civil rights. But there were many others also.”

Condemnation of Trump’s remarks was swift and severe on Tuesday.

“He’s delusional. He’s a narcissist, and he is delusional,” Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said in an interview with CNN.

“He’s done nothing for African Americans in this country, and to speak that in the same sentence as speaking of John Lewis is almost blasphemous,” she said.