Reading recommendations for the resistance (Books)

(Ashley ) #21

This may seem odd, but I recommend Al Gore’s The Assault on Reason (2017). It’s an update on his 2007 book, which is largely focused on the causes/effects of Bush administration, but at the meta level, not the top line level that is the common narrative.

I’m about 1/2 way through it and I can’t tell you how many times I mistakenly assumed he was describing the Trump administration when it was actually Bush’s.

Hannah Arrendt’s The Origins of Totalitarianism.

(Matt Kiser) #23

List is updated with everybody’s suggestions!

(Clarissa Ramos) #24

A People’s History Of The United States by Howard Zinn is a good book to read

(Matt Kiser) #25

i love that book

(Clarissa Ramos) #26

A People’s History of Chicago by Kevin Coval is also a good one, I bought it for my teacher who is from Chicago.

Men Explain Things To Me by Rebecca Solnit

Since sexual assault and violence against women have finally become part of the national conversation. If anything, please read Chapter Two: The Longest War.

I also recommend Shrill: Notes From a Loud Woman by Lindy West.

(Ashley ) #28

I had forgotten about this thread!

Playing with Fire: The 1968 Election and the Transformation of American Politics by Lawrence O’Donnell

• Almost finished this – its great historical context for how we got to where we are today in politics

Unbelievable: My Front-Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History by Katy Tur

• This was AMAZING – a great tell-all about her experience covering the Trump campaign from day one until election night. (if you do audiobooks, it can be listened to in a day and half.)

For those Pod Save America fans – there is a Facebook ‘book club’ group called Books Save America that’s great, that covers many resistance-related books.

@mouseam yes the Katy Tur book is a must!

Red Notice is very good a must to help understand what’s happening in Russia and how it relates to the election. Putin’s Revenge on Frontline is also very good.

(Jared Buck) #31

Many of these will be research books for the book I plan to write about the Trump administration, RussiaGate and their corrupt Putin-led coup. I apologize for making typos - I’m typing this on a tv screen on my desk because my computer monitor died a few weeks ago.

(Ashley ) #32

I just started this one today after listening to the author on Trumpcast – but oh. my. god.

Collusion: Secret Meetings, Dirty Money, and How Russia Helped Donald Trump Win by Luke Harding

(Ellen W) #33

The Water Will Come, by Jeff Goodell

A depressing page-turner, very well written.

(Erica Etelson) #34

Strangers in Their Own Land
Democracy in Chains
White Rage
Horsemen of the Trumpocalypse
The Retreat of Western Liberalism
Listen, Liberal

(steph) #35

Haven’t read this yet, but Churchill’s The Gathering Storm was recommended.

(Scott&Susan) #36

We highly recommend William J. Barber II’s The Third Reconstruction: Moral Mondays, Fusion Politics, and the Rise of a New Justice Movement.

(Katey Bisso) #37

Finishing up Between the World and Me, about to start Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism at the request of a friend. I have a loooong reading list for my very short winter break from grad school :upside_down_face:

(Lea Galanter) #38

Don’t know if anyone has mentioned this, but for historical perspective, “Inside the Third Reich” by Albert Speer (Hitler’s architect and close friend) is fascinating and very pertinent.

On Tyranny is a great, short read. It’s only 126 pages and easy to digest in a few short hours.

I’m working on ‘Collusion’ by Luke Harding. About a third of the way in, it’s an impressive archive recounting Russian connections to the 2016 election. Even more detail than I expected, some I recall, some I had forgotten, and other facts I can barely believe.

(Geoff Fitch) #40