WTF Community

📚 Recommended reading for the resistance (books)

List is updated with everybody’s suggestions!

2 Likes

A People’s History Of The United States by Howard Zinn is a good book to read

6 Likes

i love that book

1 Like

A People’s History of Chicago by Kevin Coval is also a good one, I bought it for my teacher who is from Chicago.

Men Explain Things To Me by Rebecca Solnit

Since sexual assault and violence against women have finally become part of the national conversation. If anything, please read Chapter Two: The Longest War.

I also recommend Shrill: Notes From a Loud Woman by Lindy West.

2 Likes

I had forgotten about this thread!

Playing with Fire: The 1968 Election and the Transformation of American Politics by Lawrence O’Donnell

• Almost finished this – its great historical context for how we got to where we are today in politics

Unbelievable: My Front-Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History by Katy Tur

• This was AMAZING – a great tell-all about her experience covering the Trump campaign from day one until election night. (if you do audiobooks, it can be listened to in a day and half.)

For those Pod Save America fans – there is a Facebook ‘book club’ group called Books Save America that’s great, that covers many resistance-related books.

3 Likes

@mouseam yes the Katy Tur book is a must!

2 Likes

Red Notice is very good a must to help understand what’s happening in Russia and how it relates to the election. Putin’s Revenge on Frontline is also very good.

1 Like

Many of these will be research books for the book I plan to write about the Trump administration, RussiaGate and their corrupt Putin-led coup. I apologize for making typos - I’m typing this on a tv screen on my desk because my computer monitor died a few weeks ago.

2 Likes

I just started this one today after listening to the author on Trumpcast – but oh. my. god.

Collusion: Secret Meetings, Dirty Money, and How Russia Helped Donald Trump Win by Luke Harding

1 Like

The Water Will Come, by Jeff Goodell
https://www.hachettebookgroup.com/titles/jeff-goodell/the-water-will-come/9780316260244/

A depressing page-turner, very well written.

2 Likes

Strangers in Their Own Land
Democracy in Chains
White Rage
Horsemen of the Trumpocalypse
The Retreat of Western Liberalism
Listen, Liberal

1 Like

Haven’t read this yet, but Churchill’s The Gathering Storm was recommended.

1 Like

We highly recommend William J. Barber II’s The Third Reconstruction: Moral Mondays, Fusion Politics, and the Rise of a New Justice Movement.

1 Like

Finishing up Between the World and Me, about to start Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism at the request of a friend. I have a loooong reading list for my very short winter break from grad school :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Don’t know if anyone has mentioned this, but for historical perspective, “Inside the Third Reich” by Albert Speer (Hitler’s architect and close friend) is fascinating and very pertinent.

1 Like

On Tyranny is a great, short read. It’s only 126 pages and easy to digest in a few short hours.

I’m working on ‘Collusion’ by Luke Harding. About a third of the way in, it’s an impressive archive recounting Russian connections to the 2016 election. Even more detail than I expected, some I recall, some I had forgotten, and other facts I can barely believe.

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Case-Donald-Trump-Psychiatrists-ebook/dp/B07262SJDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514591682&sr=8-1&keywords=dangerous+case+of+donald+trump

1 Like

I know we are not supposed to promote ourselves, but I didn’t write two books on sustainable agriculture and solving problems in order to make money. Here is my short list:

1. The Laws of Physics Are On My Side (2013) by Walter Haugen - one-third analysis, two-thirds solutions based on sustainable small-scale ag - available on Amazon or through your county library (You can get books from all over the country if you didn’t know.)
  2. Hints for Managing Collapse (2014) by Walter Haugen - this one is all solutions - also on Amazon or from your county library
  3. The Dies the Fire series by S.M. Stirling (2004-2017) - Stirling has done his research and his books are full of practical knowledge that relates to the coming collapse
  4. The Collapse of Complex Societies (1988) by Joseph Tainter. This is the place to start for collapse studies. Tainter is an archaeologist, like me and Ian Morris, so there is a historical/prehistoric perspective here that transcends the usual dogma from academia.
  5. Why the West Rules - For Now! (2010) by Ian Morris. Stanford archaeologist and historian who is well versed in statistical analysis, especially error analysis.
  6. Food, Energy and Society (1979 and 1996 for Revised Edition) by David and Marcia Pimentel. This is the go-to book for calibrating energy use using a metric that crosses all platforms (kilocalories).

If you aren’t thinking about your energy use, you are not paying attention. The human body is the most efficient engine we have. Soon enough, the US of A will collapse and YOU will have to grow at least some of your own food. I am not exaggerating or pulling your leg. Take note and get a grip. As Stirling says, “You will have to be a farmer or farm the farmers.” Start preparing now.

2 Likes

The Plot to Hack America: How Putin’s Cyberspies and WikiLeaks Tried to Steal the 2016 Election [Malcolm Nance]

1 Like