WTF Community

šŸ“š Recommended reading for the resistance (books)

How about anything by Charles Eisensteinā€¦since one of the main elements missing in our political climate is any sense of authentic spirituality, ie. Oneness

Death of the Liberal Class by Chris Hedges
Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt by Chris Hedges

I havenā€™t read either but they are on my ā€œwhat to read nextā€ list.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll second this one. As a psychologist (not psychiatrist) I donā€™t feel bound by the Goldwater rule, and would certainly join the authors if asked!

2 Likes

whoa. i didnā€™t know chris hedges had published anything since War Is A Force That Gives Us Meaningā€¦ Thanks!

ā€œThis Is How It Beginsā€ by Joan Dempsey

1 Like

[https://www.amazon.com/Democracy-Chains-History-Radical-Stealth/dp/1101980966]

Despite its breathless, clickbait title, Nancy MacLeanā€™s Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of the Radical Rightā€™s Stealth Plan for America is a must-read for understanding why the U.S. is in the soup right now. Meticulously researched and presented, it complements and provides a deeper backstory for Jane Mayerā€™s Dark Money . Completely engaging and eye-opening.

The wonderful book about the Electoral College gone wrong, written by Jeff Greenfield, ā€œThe Peopleā€™s Choiceā€. And he wrote it years before George W. or Trump ran.
The story:
What happens if the President-Elect dies after the election, but before the Electoral College votes? Does the ā€œloserā€ Presidential candidate win? Does the Vice-President elect then become President? Laws vary by each state - if the laws are clear what to do anyway.
Throw in a Dan Quayle-like VP-elect, and an Electoral College member who doesnā€™t want to vote as she is told and you get a book that I LAUGHED OUT LOUD to.
Enjoy.

Did someone already mention Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance? I didnā€™t read all the posts in this thread so perhaps it was already mentioned, but itā€™s a fascinating view of the southern working poor and how much of that is systemic.

This is a brilliant and super depressing if not accurate take on today.

I canā€™t stop thinking about Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman. Decades old and painfully accurate.

I also recommend Strangers In Their Own Land and Merchants of Doubt.

Remember to balance with Pema Chodronā€™s When Things Fall Apartā€¦

It totally turned my head around when I read it in college, itā€™s been part of my worldview ever since, but I reread it for the first time in 2017. Definitely a good choice, and Iā€™ve been recommending it to others,

POLARIZED! The Case for Civility in the Time of Trump: An experiment in civil discourse on Facebook by Jeff Rasley

In the US, our body politic is suffering from a sickness. Political polarization has become so extreme it has spawned violence against and by politicians. A new syndrome, ā€œpost-election stress disorderā€, is recognized by psychologists. Instead of trying to lower the temperature, the media, politicians, and political action committees (PACs) stoke the angry passion of extremism.
Social media has contributed to this culture of outrage. It is polluted by the rantings of bigots, trolls, and terrorists. Fear-mongering politicians use it to widen social, economic, and ideological divisions. Social media could be a medium for civil discussions about political issues, but the temptation to respond impulsively and angrily has made politics even more toxic. Itā€™s just easier to rant and vent or hide out in like-minded silos.
Is there any possibility of a cure for the sickness of our body politic?
Facebook is the largest forum in the history of humankind for free and open communication among citizens. It can be used to engage in meaningful conversations about important political, social, and economic issues. Facebook has the potential, as described by Mark Zuckerberg, to be a medium where people discover their common values and connect in uplifting and enlightening ways. Or, it can be used to further aggravate prejudices and divisions.
The choice is ours to make.
As is demonstrated in Jeff Rasleyā€™s latest book ā€œregular folksā€ can use their social networks for civil discussion and debate, and then for positive political action. Whatever our political leaning, we need not imitate President Trump by tweeting insults and ridicule at political opponents.
Who do we want to be as a nation?
ā€œThe Case for Civilityā€ exposes the causes and effects of hyper-partisanship. It offers a ā€œmodest proposalā€ to treat the symptoms of toxic polarization at the grassroots level. An experiment Rasley conducted in Facebook based on the values of civility, tolerance, pragmatism, and moderation proves we can cure what ails us.

https://www.amazon.com/POLARIZED-Case-Civility-Time-Trump-ebook/dp/B073JT4LPT/

The Trump Phenomenon: How the Politics of Populism Won in 2016, by Peter Kivisto

No, it is not bad to recommend your own book if it is relevant ā€“ and I believe it IS relevant! I just watched this earlier today: https://www.facebook.com/ILoveYouAmericaWithSarahSilverman/videos/1613988585349239/

1 Like

Iā€™m going back a bit and reading Kurt Vonnegutā€™s ā€˜Player Pianoā€™.

PS, could be useful to publish the list on Goodreads or similar?

1 Like

I think another insightful book for these times is ALICE IN WONDERLAND.

Here are a couple more for when some of the amazing books listed here get you to feeling like thereā€™s very little hope:

Tales of Two Americas: Stories of Inequality in a Divided Nation by John Freeman - essays, journalism, poetry, and short stories from 36 contemporary writers sharing a multitude of perspectives on life in America today. https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Two-Americas-Stories-Inequality/dp/0143131036

What Unites Us: Reflections on Patriotism by Dan Rather and Elliot Kirschner - a powerful reminder that patriotism and nationalism are not the same thing, and that you are not alone in wanting the best for and from your country. https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Two-Americas-Stories-Inequality/dp/0143131036____

I may have missed it somewhere in this long thread, but I recommend reading James Baldwin, especially his essays, like ā€œNotes From A Native Sonā€ and ā€œThe Fire Next Timeā€, beautiful writing and deep thoughts about this country.
ā€œA Peopleā€™s History of the United Statesā€ by Howard Zinn is a must read. It covers practically every social and political protest movement in the history of the U.S. and itā€™s very useful to see what has been tried before, what worked and what didnā€™t work.
ā€œNickel and Dimedā€ by Barbara Ehrenreich, and ā€œThe Way To The Spring:Life and Death in Palestineā€ by Ben Ehrenreich, who happens to be her son, both worth reading.

2 Likes

Fire and Fury by Michael Wolff, is a surreal, post-modern account of Trumpā€™s contentious first 100 days in the White House. Credibility and inaccuracies aside this is an incredibly enjoyable read. Fire and Fury with itā€™s almost Fitzgeraldian themes and frightening conclusion will serve history as a cautionary tale of dangers of demagoguery in democracy.

4 Likes