WTF Community

The Impeachment of President Donald J. Trump

Senate Republicans plan speedy Trump trial

Senate Republicans released their partisan impeachment trial resolution on Monday evening, a blueprint that could result in President Donald Trump’s swift acquittal.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) plans to pass impeachment trial rules giving both the White House counsel and House impeachment managers 24 hours over two days each to make opening arguments, according to a copy of the resolution. That will be followed by 16 total hours of questions and answers, culminating in a four-hour debate and a critical vote over whether to consider witnesses or new information.

The resolution needs a majority to pass the Senate and Republicans control 53 seats. Under the most aggressive implementation of the rule — and provided Republicans vote down the witness question — the trial could conclude late next week.

The speedy timetable is sure to prompt complaints by Democrats, who see the possibility of 12-hour days and midnight arguments as an attempt to cover-up the trial. A House Democratic aide indicated that 12-hour days or arguments beginning at 1 p.m. would ensure that arguments stretch deep into the night, possibly until 2 or 3 a.m. when breaks are factored in.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), said the resolution is a “national disgrace” and it is “clear Senator McConnell is hell-bent on making it much more difficult to get witnesses and documents and intent on rushing the trial through.” Schumer specifically dinged language in the resolution that doesn’t automatically admit the House’s evidence into the trial.

"Senator McConnell is saying he doesn’t want to hear any of the existing evidence, and he doesn’t want to hear any new evidence. A trial where no evidence - no existing record, no witnesses, no documents – isn’t a trial at all — It’s a cover up,” Schumer said.

But it was clear the president and his team were happy with the result.

Res. Text in this tweet :point_down:

3 Likes

Tomorrow Senate Trial Day 2 starts at 1 pm ET

The Senate impeachment trial of President Trump continues on abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. Senators will consider the rules for the trial and other legislative work is possible.

FYI, It’s going to be very long day. The rules they will be voting on call for 12 hr days. (See my post above :point_up:) it’s crazy.

4 Likes

Trump names Senate defense team

Awesome – IMO, everyone of these deplorables is rude, uncouth, uncivil, and sure to act the fool during the trial. Trump’s base cheers on the disrespectful behavior championed by this crowd, but I believe the majority of Americans find their antics immature, deceitful, and Un-American. OK, I’m running out of adjectives. I guess my point is best put by Oscar Wilde – I would convey his sentiments to this motley crew: “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.”

After excluding House Republicans from his defense team, President Donald Trump announced Monday night that eight of them would serve as his personal warriors.

Republican Reps. Doug Collins (Ga.), Mike Johnson (La.), Jim Jordan (Ohio), Debbie Lesko (Ariz.), Mark Meadows (N.C.), John Ratcliffe (Texas), Elise Stefanik (N.Y.) and Lee Zeldin (N.Y.) will “serve as part of his team working to combat this hyper-partisan and baseless impeachment,” according to a White House news release Monday.

“Throughout this process, these Members of Congress have provided guidance to the White House team, which was prohibited from participating in the proceedings concocted by Democrats in the House of Representatives,” the release said.

[@Keaton_James aside: LIE, LIE, LIE. The Democratic led impeachment proceedings in the House were conducted with civility and the utmost fairness – the records are an open book that prove this unequivocally. ]

The White House didn’t specify in its statement what exactly the members would be doing, but one GOP source says they are expected to play a more behind-the-scenes role, with a focus on messaging and strategy. “I would consider them a quasi reserve unit,” the source said. Some of the House Republicans who are most familiar with the case have already been advising and meeting at the White House in recent weeks, including Jordan and GOP counsel Steve Castor.

IMO, the more they’re actually allowed to speak and grandstand, the better. They are not going to win any converts – instead, they will drive reasonable Americans into the anti-Trump camp.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Cross-posting :raised_hands:

1 Like

Press Release: Pelosi Statement on McConnell Cover-Up Resolution

JANUARY 21, 2020

Washington, D.C. – Speaker Nancy Pelosi issued this statement on Leader McConnell’s resolution on rules for the impeachment trial of the President, which will operate on a greatly compressed schedule and rejects the need for witnesses and documents:

“Leader McConnell’s plan for a dark of night impeachment trial confirms what the American people have seen since Day One: the Senate GOP Leader has chosen a cover-up for the President, rather than honor his oath to the Constitution. Shamefully, this sham proposal does not even allow for admitting the House record into evidence at the trial.

“Leader McConnell’s process is deliberately designed to hide the truth from the Senate and from the American people, because he knows that the President’s wrongdoing is indefensible and demands removal. No jury would be asked to operate on McConnell’s absurdly compressed schedule, and it is obvious that no Senator who votes for it is intending to truly weigh the damning evidence of the President’s attacks on our Constitution.

“The public now knows why Leader McConnell has been hiding his resolution: the Clinton comparison was a lie. Clearly and sadly, Leader McConnell has misled the American people. For weeks, he has insisted that he will adhere to the rules used during the Clinton impeachment trial and that ‘fair is fair’ – but his proposal rejects the need for witnesses and documents during the trial itself. In contrast, for the Clinton trial, witnesses were deposed and the President provided more than 90,000 documents.

“President Trump undermined our national security, jeopardized the integrity of our elections and violated the Constitution all for his own personal, political gain. He has repeatedly said that he would do so again. Duty, honor and country are at stake. Every Senator who supports this sham process must be held accountable to the American people.”

1 Like

It’s starting, watch if you dare.

https://www.c-span.org/event/?468163/senate-impeachment-trial-day-2&live

3 Likes

Watching Schiff’s opening speech now. He is outlining, irrefutably, what a sham of a “trial” the Republicans are trying to railroad through. After hearing this, shame, shame, shame on any Senator who votes to approve McConnell’s rules that will destroy even the appearance of a fair trial. And shame on any American who would then vote to re-elect any of those Senators.

3 Likes

I am loving Schiff.

Also, it would seem that Mitch is feeling the pressure of these are true.

3 Likes

Adam Schiff: of the 40 witnesses who testified in Johnson’s trial, only 3 did so before the house first. I did not know that.

Also, the impeachments of two judges likewise show that new witnesses during impeachment trials are common practice.

2 Likes

Noting that Sen McConnell has revised some of the ‘rules’

Let the impeachment trial begin…with the polarizing groups facing off and the skewed ‘rules’ make a sham of this process…

2 Likes

I worry that he’s backing down on this so he can hold fast against witnesses. Though allowing house evidence is huge.

2 Likes

Yes…this could be a bonanza.

But you are right, McConnell will hang tough (#seeMerrickGarland) and never allow witnesses.

3 Likes

Powerful info-graphics presented by Adam Schiff during his opening statement in Trump’s impeachment trial:

5 Likes

Thank you so much for posting these!

4 Likes

Feel free to share on Twitter!

3 Likes

Oh, twitter AND facebook. I am spreading them all over.

4 Likes

Heartening news…

4 Likes

I am watching that, I saw when he said it. The whole statement was that he was annoyed that we keep saying four when it’s much larger than four, because it takes at least four. It’s definitely hopeful news.

3 Likes

Let’s hope so…but sticking their neck out is not something they are comfortable doing.

1 Like