WTF Community

The Impeachment of President Donald J. Trump

White House has issued formal threat to Bolton to keep him from publishing book

The White House has issued a formal threat to former national security adviser John Bolton to keep him from publishing his book, “The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir,” sources familiar with the matter tell CNN.

The White House had no comment. Neither Bolton nor a spokesman for the publisher, Simon & Schuster, responded to a request for comment.

The letter comes in the midst of President Donald Trump attacking Bolton on Twitter, and Bolton’s lawyer accusing the White House of corrupting the vetting process for Bolton’s book by sharing the contents of the book with those outside the National Security Council’s Records Management Division.

5 Likes

An image of the Grim Reaper comes to mind…just sayin’

See photo :point_down:

3 Likes

And now this threat is may be considered in the Simon Schuster campaign ad.

3 Likes

Beat me to it. Exactly what you do when you’re entirely unafraid of the contents of a book, right? This regime is so transparently dumb.

3 Likes

Watch: Senate Impeachment Trial, Day 9

The Senate impeachment trial of President Trump continues as Senators ask House impeachment managers and the President’s defense team questions

https://www.c-span.org/video/?468632-1/senate-impeachment-trial-day-9

Listen

Live blogs:

New York Times / Washington Post / Politico / CNN / The Guardian / Bloomberg / Wall Street Journal / NBC News / CBS News

5 Likes

:eyes::flushed:

Engel Statement on September 23, 2019 Call with John Bolton

January 29, 2020

Washington —Representative Eliot L. Engel, Chairman of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, today made the following statement:

President Trump is wrong that John Bolton didn’t say anything about the Trump-Ukraine Scandal at the time the President fired him. He said something to me.

“On September 19, shortly after Ambassador Bolton’s departure as national security advisor, my staff reached out to him at my request. I’ve known Ambassador Bolton for years; we have a cordial and respectful relationship and I wanted to thank him for his service. I also wanted to ask if he would talk to the Foreign Affairs Committee, as former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson did, to aid our general oversight efforts of U.S. foreign policy.

“He and I spoke by telephone on September 23. On that call, Ambassador Bolton suggested to me—unprompted—that the committee look into the recall of Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch. He strongly implied that something improper had occurred around her removal as our top diplomat in Kyiv.

“At the time, I said nothing publicly about what was a private conversation, but because this detail was relevant to the Foreign Affairs, Intelligence, and Oversight Committees’ investigation into this matter, I informed my investigative colleagues. It was one of the reasons we wished to hear from Ambassador Bolton, under oath, in a formal setting.

“Ambassador Bolton has made clear over the last few months that he has more to say on this issue. And now that the President has called his credibility into question, it’s important to set the record straight.

“It’s telling that, of all people, John Bolton is now the target of right-wing ire. It underscores just how important it is that the Senate subpoena Ambassador Bolton as a witness.”

4 Likes

GOP members emerge from lunch with Sen. McConnell prior to the Q & A portion of the Impeachment trial and only offer that the Witness quesiton was not discussed. This would fall into the notion that McConnell has always had the NO vote on Witnesses.

Time will tell come Friday.

It was clear to Senate Republicans on Wednesday after a morning meeting between Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) that the question of having additional witnesses is settled, and the Senate will vote Friday to wrap up the impeachment trial of President Trump.

There was no discussion of witnesses at a Senate GOP lunch meeting Wednesday, which was held a couple hours after McConnell and Murkowski met for about 20 to 30 minutes.

That was seen as a sign by several senators that Democrats will fail to convince four Republicans to join them in calling for witnesses. Without a vote to hear from witnesses, the trial could end as soon as Friday.

“We’re going to get it done by Friday, hopefully,” Sen. Mike Rounds (R-S.D.) said following the meeting.

Sen. Mike Braun (R-Ind.), emerging from the lunch, said, “I think I can say the mood is good.”

Braun expressed confidence that McConnell will be able to keep his conference unified enough to defeat a motion to consider subpoenas for additional witnesses and documents.

If I had to guess, no witnesses,” he said.

“We’ll be in a place where I think everyone is going to have their mind made up and I believe that we’ll be able to move to a verdict, and the witness question will be clear at that point,” Braun added.

Murkowski did not attend the lunch.

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah), who has been the most outspoken advocate for calling additional witnesses, declined to comment as he left the lunch.

Romney and Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) are both expected to back witnesses. Murkowski has been seen as a third possible vote, though she had not announced any decision.

Instead of discussing the possibility of having former national security adviser John Bolton appear as a witness in the trial at Wednesday’s meeting, lawmakers talked about voting Friday to move quickly to an up-or-down vote on two articles of impeachment.

“There was no discussion about that today,” Rounds said.

Instead, Rounds said the discussion was about how “we’re moving forward.”

A report by The New York Times that said Bolton in his forthcoming book writes that Trump had linked the withholding of aid to Ukraine to that country conducting investigations of former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter Biden had given new energy to the witness debate.

Democrats have been clamoring to hear Bolton as a witness at the trial.

Senators are asking questions to the House impeachment team and Trump’s defense lawyers during today’s impeachment session.

4 Likes

Hard to know what to believe here. Some source said he didn’t have the votes, now the Hill says they do. They have to know that if they do this it will be an utter disaster come November, and yet they’re poised to do it.

Analysis | The Daily 202: Senate Republicans move the goal posts again after Bolton’s book and Dershowitz’s defense of Trump

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2020/01/29/daily-202-senate-republicans-move-the-goal-posts-again-after-bolton-s-book-and-dershowitz-s-defense-of-trump/5e31203c602ff14e6605b815/?tid=ss_tw

3 Likes

After threatening John Bolton over his book, the White House now claims it contains top secret information so dire they immediately waited a full month before banning it.

2 Likes

Yes…I agree.

Had been listening to a bunch of pundits over the last 12 hours, and they all suggest that McConnell could be playing possum here. He stated he didn’t have the votes, just to throw the Dems off…but he really does.

Friday we will know.

2 Likes

I don’t understand what such a move gets him. If true, such games will only further anger a public who is NOT tuning out and ignoring this the way the GOP wishes they would. It’s a bad move.

3 Likes

I can only think that McConnell has proven he is dastardly…makes a beeline for all roads to maintaining power. This little ‘head fake,’ if true just keeps his party in power, and green lights all the future judges, tax cuts, ACA destruction that the core constituents - KOCH Bros, and all the far right interests, that maintain their power.

Examples of his beelines - #MerrickGarland, #Kavanaugh’sFBIreviewOfotherWitnesses #TaxCutsWithNoDemImput #GetRidOfACAbutStoppedByMcCain #150PlusJudges

Yes, it will never pass the smell test…for most thinking Americans.:disappointed:

3 Likes

None of those had the levels of engagement or public awareness, sadly, as this. I think he is seriously underestimating what this will do to them in the long run on the gamble they can somehow play catch up before November.

3 Likes

Probably so…

2 Likes

Proposed Q’s from Sen Romney which try to get at T’s arguments about being more concerned about corruption, what Giuliani’s role had been etc. Shows that he gives a damn about finding out what is truthful in this case

3 Likes

Cross-posting :raised_hands:

2 Likes

What’s that? The NSA has more info on the Russian disinformation campaign against Ukraine and the Trump regime is blocking them from providing it to congress?

Oh my.

4 Likes

Summary of the Impeachment Inquiry into Trump

January 23rd - 29th

Demmings%20Gif

Watch:

5 Likes
3 Likes

But that argument would make him King and as I recall objecting to a King was the basis for the founding of the United States of America.

5 Likes