WTF Community

The Latest - Tuesday October 6

love it! I always struggle with innovative ways of organizing so I am grateful you’re here lol. I got ya back!

2 Likes

:anguished:

2 Likes

And this…a photographer, Al Drago from the Supreme Court intro event

2 Likes

:eyes:

1 Like

Cross-posting

2 Likes

Cross-posting

2 Likes
3 Likes

:eyes:

1 Like

Everything Trump has done needs to be reversed. He is not in his right mind from those drugs :syringe: that he has been taking. After what he said today makes it clear…HE IS OUT OF HIS FUCKING MIND!! :exploding_head:

4 Likes

Mr. Out-of-His-Mind

Just now…quick retort to previous tweet about stopping the CARES Act negotiation.

3 Likes

Social media giants are reviewed and crtiqued…and now at loggerheads to decide how to move forward.

NYTimes: House Lawmakers Condemn Big Tech’s ‘Monopoly Power’ and Urge Their Breakups

Democrats proposed legal changes that could substantially restructure Facebook, Google, Amazon and Apple. They said Congress should consider making it illegal for the tech giants to provide preferential treatment to their own products, as Google does in search results. They suggested breaking up the companies in “structural separations” and forbidding them from operating in similar businesses to those they were already dominant in. They also recommended adding to antitrust laws, including clearer rules that could block the tech giants’ attempts to buy other companies.

Some Republicans agreed with proposals to bolster funding for antitrust enforcement agencies, but balked at calls for Congress to intervene in restructuring the companies and their business models. Others have refused to endorse any of the Democrats’ findings.

Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio, the top Republican on the committee, said that the report was “partisan” and that the committee had not tackled conservatives’ anecdotal allegations that the online platforms were biased against their views. In a letter to Mr. Nadler, Mr. Jordan said that ignoring the topic “ultimately discredits the draft report’s findings.”

2 Likes

1/ Trump ordered negotiators to stop talks with Democrats on a new coronavirus relief package until after the election, tweeting that he won’t agree to a deal until “after I win.” In a series of tweets, Trump said he rejected the Democrats’ latest proposal because – he claimed – House Speaker Nancy Pelosi “is not negotiating in good faith.” The House passed a $2.2 trillion bill last week – down from its earlier $3.5 trillion package. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin had proposed a $1.6 trillion deal in response. The two sides remained at odds over how much state and local aid to include in an agreement. Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell, meanwhile, warned that “too little support would lead to a weak recovery, creating unnecessary hardship for households and businesses.” Powell said a prolonged slowdown could trigger “typical recessionary dynamics, as weakness feeds on weakness,” and that such a slowdown could exacerbate existing economic disparities, which “would be tragic.” Powell added: “The risks of overdoing it seem, for now, to be smaller.” The Dow fell by almost 400 points, and the S&P 500 and Nasdaq were also down by around 1.5% each. (NBC News / Bloomberg / Wall Street Journal / CNN / New York Times / CNBC / Wall Street Journal / Axios / Politico)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2020/10/06/day-1356/
2 Likes

It sounds really good in general, I’m having a little trouble picturing how the archiving will work.

3 Likes

I plan on breaking them down by an appropriate time frame. Some threads by month some by week. I’ll start with the weekend thread for example tomorrow. It’ll be easier talk about with an actual thread to work on.

This might be your jam, btw.

3 Likes

Oddly yes. Although my brain is like “but we’re still doing it by day right??!?!?” So we’ll still have “Day XXXX” and this is just tagging articles by topic? I think this is where my confusion is. I’m guessing it’ll be a lot clearer to me how it’ll work once it gets going.

3 Likes

@celena

We leave the threads long and start to create shorter versions going forward, creating and closing around a specified timeframe.

And then do we do the added step of archiving them by a timeframe by moving the posts to a new thread? It would make the archive easier to use. But this depends on our interest in actually doing that and making it useful.

I used to catalogue fine art objects for auction for like ten years so I have pretty good taste for it but I could use a buddy with commitment in on this.

3 Likes

Trying to walk myself through this for a sec:

Specifically we are talking about threads like the coronavirus thread and not the Day FML: Trump Said A Dumb Thing threads, yes?

So we go to the coronavirus thread and lop off the first part by splitting it at a certain date, and then titling anything before that date as Coronavirus: The Before Times? And then we split off March 20-April 12th and call it Coronavirus: Over By Easter. We can call August Coronavirus: To School Or Not To School. Or keep it whole and call it Coronavirus: DeSantis Is An Idiot.

-or-

Are we talking about going in and splitting off every two weeks or so and shuffling those posts into separate threads by sub-topic? One for vaccine stuff, one for economy stuff, one for school stuff, etc.

TBH I really like the second one better but it’s going to be 1200% more pain in the ass.

2 Likes

Hey let’s move archive talk this to a meta thread. Yeah? I think we all should have a big conversation of what we should do because if there’s interest in this I’m so down. There’s so much here, I feel like we’re standing in the middle of a massive hoarder stack of magazines and newspapers, discarded tv’s playing Trump clips over and over again. How can we ever explain this shit? You can’t really the human brain was not designed to fully comprehend any of this but maybe we could give it a try.

3 Likes