WTF Community

The Russian Connection: The Social Media War

2 Likes

These three stories, taken together, demonstrate what a sham the Republican-dominated House Intelligence Committee Investigation into Russian Collusion really was. It’s now obvious that Cambridge Analytica executives lied to the committee and yet the Republicans refuse to re-open the investigation. It’s left to the minority-Democrats to follow up on the lies and uncover the truth.

4 Likes

I basically stopped using FB over a year ago, took the app off my phone after I kept seeing false political stories during the campaign. It smelled fishy but I couldn’t figure out where the fish smell was coming from other than FB.

The past presidential campaign has two smelly issues.

1. The False news about HRC and the various GOP candidates. Except of course his honor “The Donald”.

2. Was the Dem nomination process rigged? Seems it was, so much for modeling democracy.

2 Likes

This is all breaking so fast, it’s hard to keep up!

5 Likes

Okay but I would just like to take a moment to acknowledge and appreciate the fact that at least he used the right word.

It would be pretty cool if people in positions of power in this country knew the difference between slander and libel IMO. It’s a silly pet peeve, but seriously you would think people who spend so much time suing people and getting sued would have that one down by now.

4 Likes

This was the first article about data and it’s manipulation that I found which went into details of how it was done.

1 Like

Interesting, I’ve found Wired Magazine often has leading articles about technology and issues like this. Thanks for the lead.

An interesting writer on Information Security is Violet Blue, yes that’s the name she goes by as an author.

Whoa! :flushed: Data on 57 billion friendships were shared. Am I reading this right? I need more coffee.

Quote:

Facebook provided the dataset of “every friendship formed in 2011 in every country in the world at the national aggregate level” to Kogan’s University of Cambridge laboratory for a study on international friendships published in Personality and Individual Differences in 2015.

1 Like

I NEED MORE TEQUILA WTFFFFFFFFFFF.

:wink:

Search in the Financial Times from 2017. Good stuff there too!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/former-cambridge-analytica-workers-say-firm-sent-foreigners-to-advise-us-campaigns/2018/03/25/6a0d7d90-2fa2-11e8-911f-ca7f68bff0fc_story.html?utm_term=.3fff91a0fef1

1 Like

Find out if Cambridge Aanalytica obtained your data from Facebook. Click here :point_down:

3 Likes

Glad you posted that, though I’ve never been a fan (or user) of FB & never will be. :sunglasses:

This is new. Justice Department and F.B.I. Are Investigating Cambridge Analytica.

The federal investigation in the United States appears to focus on the company’s financial dealings — investigators have reached out to the company’s banks, for instance — and how it acquired and used personal data pulled from Facebook and other sources, according to the American official, who was briefed on the inquiry, and other people familiar with it.

In a sign of the inquiry’s scope, one of the prosecutors involved is the assistant chief of the Justice Department’s securities and financial fraud division, Brian Kidd. The effort is being assisted by at least one agent who investigates cybercrime for the F.B.I., those people said.

3 Likes

Does this raise the stakes at all?

4 Likes

This is a strange story about a presentation by an Israel-based intel firm that outlines ways in which Trump’s election was helped by fake news and fake social-media accounts. The firm’s founder attended that 2nd Don Jr. Trump Tower meeting. WTF?

Psy-Group presentation outlines ways Trump campaign was helped by fake social media accounts

WASHINGTON—Special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigators have obtained a presentation prepared by an Israel-based private intelligence firm that outlines ways in which Donald Trump’s 2016 election was helped by fake news and fake social-media accounts, according to people familiar with the presentation and documents reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

The Psy-Group’s founder, Joel Zamel, is under scrutiny from U.S. investigators because of his close relationship with the government of the United Arab Emirates and his involvement in a meeting with Mr. Trump’s eldest son shortly before election day, the Journal has reported.

Mr. Zamel met with Donald Trump Jr. at Trump Tower in the weeks before the 2016 election along with George Nader, a top adviser to the crown prince of the United Arab Emirates, to discuss an offer to help boost the campaign, according to people familiar with the matter. Erik Prince, a U.S. defense contractor who specializes in the Middle East and had close ties to the campaign, attended the meeting, the Journal previously reported. People involved in the meeting say nothing came of it and the Psy-Group didn’t perform any work for the Trump campaign.

Here’s a link to the slides :point_down:

1 Like

In light of Friday’s indictment, Twitter finally decided to suspend Guccifer 2.0’s account. I feel like this could have been done a year and half ago. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thank you @catone!! Super helpful! I’m just trying to think through all those things they don’t tell you, even more so now with the news that they targeted Wisconsin & Michigan.

This was the one I was most curious about – especially because I wasn’t event aware until this year that when you comment, like/react and even RSVP to an event that I could show up in your friend’s feed. (I learned when my mother in law (Trump supporter) ‘loved’ that I was attending the Women’s March & I got a notification – I was like WTF?!).

It would be interesting to see, for sure if it shows as sponsored. I know personally, I use to like/react things so it didn’t show up in their feeds - otherwise I would have shared it!

This is what I had thought – which makes sense (from FB/page owner POV, at least).

2 Likes

In addition to impersonating Muslims, Russians also posed as Black Lives Matter activists (“Blacktivists”):

The same twitter accounts tracked by the Hamilton 68 research project also inflamed recent online tensions about the national anthem and Kaepernick’s “take a knee” protest for social justice.

I’ve also seen a ton of fake “antifa” (anti-fascist) social media accounts. I wouldn’t be surprised if those are linked to Russians as well.

1 Like