WTF Community

What the Conservatives are saying - the T faithful, the Quiet Bulwarks, and Rogues - Amash, Conway

Fascinating conversation with Dr. Danna Young on the structure and aesthetic differences between the right and left media landscape. Great topic. :headphones:

The debate over polarized media can make the two ecosystems sound equivalent. One is left, the other right, but otherwise they’re the same. That couldn’t be more wrong. They’re structured differently, they work differently, they value different things, they’re built atop different aesthetics. And behind all these differences is something we don’t talk about enough: their audiences, and what those audiences demand.

Danna Young is an associate professor of communications at the University of Delaware and author of the forthcoming Irony and Outrage, a fascinating study of the differing aesthetics of the left and right media universes, and how those differences are rooted in the psychological composition of their audiences. This is tricky stuff to talk about, but it’s necessary for understanding why political media looks the way it does today.

Oh and here’s her book, I’ve added it to my ever growing list of books I have yet to read.

https://www.amazon.com/Irony-Outrage-Polarized-Landscape-Laughter/dp/0190913088/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=dannagal&qid=1551991195&s=gateway&sr=8-3

3 Likes

Big switcheroo from former Fox Newser Carl Cameron who just left Fox News about a month ago, and will be working on a progressive website (Think liberal Drudge Report)
called…FrontPageLive :boom:

@matt - there’s always room for more progressive news…and Current Status is my FIRST CHOICE for political news with factual and reputable sources. :grin:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/06/24/ex-fox-newser-carl-cameron-takes-his-unfinished-business-progressive-startup/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.679d2737c918

And a little snippet on Carl Cameron - He’s left ‘partisan news because he believes in facts…’

Who is Carl Cameron from FrontPageLive

When folks leave Fox News, they quite often pursue projects that align with the worldview of their former employer. They might launch a conservative talk show airing on Sinclair stations, assist with President Trump’s reelection campaign or throw their time into a Trump-sycophancy website.

Carl Cameron, who covered politics for Fox News over two decades, is veering from that path. “I have a little bit of unfinished business,” says Cameron. He is teaming up with Joseph Romm, an author and reporter on climate science and climate policy at ThinkProgress, an “editorially independent” arm of the Center for American Progress Action Fund.

Their collaboration is FrontPageLive.com, a news site where progressives can find stories that feed their sensibilities. A news release calls the site “the go-to liberal antidote” to the Drudge Report, the aggregator that for more than two decades has been amplifying news reports with a conservative spin. Romm sees FrontPageLive.com as a “viralizing engine” for the other side. It will populate frequently with audience-tested headlines, while pairing stories with links to action campaigns working on the issue at hand.

The concept stems from Romm’s love of Internet metrics. Over 13 years of blogging at ThinkProgress, Romm has tracked the Web prints for his thousands of postings, with a particular focus on traffic sources. Over the years, he has watched as referral engines for his stuff have gone poof. Years ago, the Huffington Post drove good numbers; the modern, rebranded HuffPost doesn’t. Years ago, Yahoo provided helpful aggregation; no more, he says. And when Facebook changed its algorithm in 2018, says Romm, ThinkProgress traffic took a “big hit.”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.