WTF Community

What The Fuck Do You Do To Stay Sane?

Thanks so much for that!! I had no idea such opportunities existed. I’ll be looking into several.

1 Like

Have you ever tried any of the mood stablizers? Lamictal is used to treat bipolar and it doesn’t have the same issues as the SSRIs. The thing about bipolar II (the less intense kind) is that you can go for years in a depressed state without experiencing the manic aspect. Then one day, you feel overly productive or exceptionally short tempered. Most people don’t realize it but out of control anger is tied to excessive energy which is the manic phase. Check out this article because it gives a pretty comprehensive description of it. The one thing that may resonate with you is that depression is much more dominant and it’s possible to only experience one manic experience in your lifetime. If you haven’t discussed this with your Dr. you might want to.

Does anyone else have PTSD from news alerts or is that just me? I about jumped out of my skin today when McMaster resigned. :astonished:

1 Like

I think my phone does. It takes me a few minutes every other day to bulk clear out the iOS push notifications. Poor iPhone 6s… :sob:

2 Likes

I had to turn them off on my watch it was buzzing all-day-long. :scream_cat:

I would think your graphics skills could be used by some political groups/movements.

1 Like

I need to create a new portfolio. I lost a lot of material on a couple of hard drives that died on me. I’m also about 15 years behind in web design knowledge! I need to take a class or two. I did all the work on this site: choronzon.info/grinnoire.html and choronzon.org which are sites about a certain occult phenomenon and a music project based on it that I used to be involved with. All the art and design I did, but it’s not mobile friendly, for example.

A lot of my work will have to wait until this detox is over. My body and mind can take SO little stress right now.

I shut off all push notifications coming from anyone but close contacts or medical stuff. WTFJHT in my email box is the only one I get! It’s all I need.

1 Like

One of the best things I did over the past 12 months was take FB off my phone and basically stopped using it, I’ll check it once a month or so to see what one of my children is up to but it’s made me much calmer, especially since the political campaign’s ended.

With all the news lately about FB I’m so glad I gave it up.

1 Like

Last year I lost my FB account – which is a story for another time. I spent about 8 weeks without one and I realized the thing I was missing most were my connections to the folks who’d been activists during the AIDS crisis. I wasn’t active then but these men and women had a lot to say and teach about holding on to your humanity during a crisis.
A couple of things: Have front burner issues and back burner issues. It’s okay to just donate monthly to back burner issues.
Sweat it out: The iconic gay disco anthems have that standing because dancing was an integral restorative act. You don’t have to do that – but have a place were you can turn off your brain and work up a sweat – preferably in the company of other people.
All of your emotions are good. Cry if you need to. Rage if you need to. Feel the helplessness and the vulnerability. Then feel the hope.

1 Like

My number one escape from Trumplandia was sudoku, about 15 to 20 extreme puzzles a day. This caused a flare up of tendinitis, so my “tranquilizer” had to be shelved while my thumb heals. I’m reading a great deal more now, other than just the news which has always been a priority. I’m even back at writing. When I read too much, I get up and do something physical and practice mindfulness while in the process. My son and I are close. We share all this outrage together and work to keep each other balanced. I also sleep a lot more, probably an escape mechanism. I recognize and appreciate the awakening that seems to be happening, probably because of this horrendous excess of poison that has been poured upon us and oozed up from the sewers. I can’t change the world, but I can change me by taking action through kindness and service. Oh, and did I mention, I swear a great deal more than ever.

2 Likes

Me too! I forgot to mention before…:rofl: -but I suspect this forum sorta filters out those who don’t?

These are really rough times, but I’m taking hope, not just from this forum, but the “Me too” movement and our upcoming generation that’s taking on the NRA, they seriously rock!

1 Like

These kids in March for Our Lives have restored some hope in my heart for this country. My mood has lifted because of them. More power to the people who will do something.

3 Likes

Yup. Take care of yourself, remember to eat well, exercise, rest, and “put your own oxygen mask on first.” My adult sons (born in '84 and '88) are millennials and I’m a boomer. I make sure I put my own oxygen mask on first – my sons expect it of me.

2 Likes

And validate others who share your concerns. Very good list, thank you Pet_Proletariat.

1 Like