WTF Community

Who The Fuck Has Left The Trump Administration

curated-threads

Trump administration official plans to resign — with a call to cancel billions in student loan debts

One of the Trump administration’s top education officials has announced his intention to quit, and endorsed the cancellation of $925 billion in existing students loans, according to the Wall Street Journal. A. Wayne Johnson was appointed chief operating officer of the Office of Federal Student Aid in 2017, and later became chief strategy and transformation officer in the department. Johnson reportedly called the student loan system “fundamentally broken,” and added: “We run through the process of putting this debt burden on somebody… but it rides on their credit files—it rides on their back—for decades … The time has come for us to end and stop the insanity.”

Cross posting…

The Next Web – 25 Oct 19

White House cybersecurity chief quits, says leadership is inviting an attack

White House computer security Chief Dimitrios Vistakis gave the White House one helluva resignation notice earlier this week when he quit over practices he dubbed “absurd” including the systemic purging of cybersecurity staff. They say that history…

This is really disturbing – we only seem to get bad news about cybersecurity. Our President is doing absolutely nothing about it – it’s almost like he wants us to get hacked.

Trump’s Russia Director To Leave National Security Council Amid Impeachment Inquiry

Tim Morrison, the top Russia official on President Trump’s National Security Council, who is scheduled to testify in the impeachment inquiry on Thursday, is expected to leave his White House post imminently, three sources familiar with the plan told NPR.

Morrison, a conservative hawk who has served as the senior director for European and Russian affairs on the National Security Council, will be replaced by Andrew Peek, the deputy assistant secretary of state for Iraq and Iran in the Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs, according to the sources.

Morrison and Peek could not immediately be reached for comment by NPR. The National Security Council declined comment.

Day 1014
Impeachment Inquiry into Trump 2019
(David Bythewood) #557

Edit: Gah. How did I post this here? I thought I put it under the Humor and I Don’t Care locations!

Our President doesn’t even know who is actually in charge of the Department of Homeland Security. Is it this guy or that other guy? Thanks, Mr. President, we’re all feeling very secure in the homeland.

President Trump told reporters Friday evening that Chad Wolf is the new acting secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, but it was unclear whether a formal appointment had occurred, extending confusion about who would step in to fill one of the country’s most crucial national security posts.

After reporters asked Trump about rumors he was planning to place Wolf in charge of DHS, Trump said, “Well he’s right now acting and we’ll see what happens.”

But no transition has taken place yet, according to two senior administration officials. Kevin McAleenan, the current acting DHS secretary, remains on the job, they said. McAleenan is scheduled to stay in the role at least through early next week, according to one of the senior administration officials, who was baffled by Trump’s statement.

Wolf would be the fifth person to occupy the secretary job at DHS under Trump, an unusually high degree of leadership turnover for a department whose founding goal was to project stability and safeguard the country from another 9/11-style terrorist attack.

In February, Trump picked Wolf to be the first undersecretary of DHS’s Office of Strategy, Policy and Plans, but the Senate has yet to confirm him, and the president’s announcement also leaves his nomination in doubt.

“… DHS … a department whose founding goal was to project stability…” Ha! It’s tough to project stability when there’s been 5 department heads in less then 3 years and, on top of that, there’s confusion as to who is actually in charge at this moment. :roll_eyes:

Day 1023

NSC official who attended key Ukraine meetings to leave post

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/11/07/earl-matthews-nsc-ukraine-067363

Earl Matthews, a senior National Security Council official who attended several of the meetings now at the center of the congressional impeachment inquiry, will depart from his job on Friday, according to two people familiar with his plans.

During his time on the NSC, Matthews, the senior director for defense policy and strategy and one of the highest ranking African-American members of the Trump White House, worked closely with former national security advisor John Bolton. He was part of a small group that sat in on meetings with Ukrainian officials that House Democrats are now scrutinizing as they investigate whether President Donald Trump pressured Ukraine to investigate a political rival.

Lt Col Vindman is going to be out…

MARGARET BRENNAN: Lieutenant Colonel Vindman, who has testified under oath, is serving on the National Security Council currently. Will he continue to work for you despite testifying against the president?

O’BRIEN: Well- well look, one of the things that I’ve talked about is that we’re streamlining the National Security Council. It got bloated to like two hundred and thirty six people from- up from 100 in the Bush administration under President Obama. We’re streamlining the National Security Council. There are people that are detailed from different departments and agencies. My understanding is he’s- is that Colonel Vindman is- is detailed from the Department of Defense. So everyone who’s detailed at the NSC, people are going to start going back to their own departments and we’ll bring in new folks. But we’re going to get that number down to around 100 people. That’s what it was under Condoleezza Rice. She came and met with me. I met with a number of my successors.