WTF Community

šŸ’¬ WTFJHT water cooler - chitchat thread

Korraā€™s a bit rough compared to it, up and down, though I always liked it. Both are well-made, with Avatar a true classic, and the same people who created it made The Dragon Prince, on Netflix, which weā€™ve been enjoying. We binged Avatar when it came out on Netflix, enjoyed watching it all over again, though the Mako tribute episode is devastating.

1 Like

If we hadnā€™t just watched both series back to back last month, I would have agreed with you but upon a second viewing, Korra has become my favorite. The storylines are little more clunky but the complexities of politics make for high drama and higher stakes. Plus, action scenes in Korra take the series to the next level.

They should make another about young Uncle Iroh and his journey to become the dragon of the west. Everyone loves Uncle Iroh!

2 Likes

This is certainly true. Korra frustrates at times, she seems to keep making the same mistakes, and the stories can be a bit off, but they really take a close look at politics and different philosophies. The original series does as well, but usually only in an episode here or there, whereas Korra spends whole seasons exploring such concepts. I also tend to be more patient than my wife at watching people develop and grow; she got frustrated with Korraā€™s hot-headed nature early on.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the brilliance of Korra though. They made her human. Her struggle is very relatable, the writers didnā€™t baby her like they did Ang. If she had been a male hero, we wouldnā€™t be having this conversation. The show intentionally challenges your expectations on gender issues, heroism, strength, and vulnerability.

Besides, Ang and Korra are the same person in the end, itā€™s only our interpretations of their physical manifestations that lead us to believe theyā€™re different characters. So to be critical of Korraā€™s traits is to also be critical of Angā€”they are one character.

https://youtu.be/_7VaCKfkfmQ

2 Likes

Oh, I agree. I tend to take the long view and give characters a chance to grow and change, knowing thatā€™s often what writers intend when they start them out with flaws like that. My wife often doesnā€™t have the patience for that, Iā€™ll admit. I wouldnā€™t say Ang was perfect either, though; he had a lot of baggage to overcome, and especially he tended to live in denial a lot about his own fears and concerns. While some of his humorous nature was just playfulness, he also often used it to hide from things he didnā€™t want to face, whereas Korra was more direct about that, more apt to get frustrated and tackle things from a different angle, which you have to respect ā€“ she never gave up.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve mostly just heard that Korra isnā€™t as good, but they really screwed the whole thing with the movie, which I have not seen and will never, ever see.

1 Like

So in addition to my netflixing I also have a ā€¦ bit of a podcast problem lol, I pretty much have one of the many in my list playing at all hours.

Right now Iā€™m bingeing one of my faves, Youā€™re Wrong About. I originally started with this ep but they are all so good, just so much empathetic revisiting of history.

4 Likes

Me too! Itā€™s so bad, but when I work Iā€™m usually drawing so I need something to vibe with and sometimes just music is boring.

1 Like

I never really got into podcasts. Iā€™m not sure why, I think maybe I just need something visual to go with the audio. Iā€™ve always been a visual/hands-on learner, thatā€™s just how I absorb information best.

It does mean I miss a lot of great stuff, but Iā€™d need to go back every 5-10 minutes anyway.

3 Likes

Listened to that episode you recommended, O-M-G, so good, I had no idea, what a sad and fascinating story. Kitty was so brave :sob:

new subscriber!

1 Like

Wow my sonā€™s school is a pain in the ass with zoom. The software and equipment seem to work fine but they currently have it set up so that his teachers have a different zoom meeting for each segment of class even though they donā€™t change rooms OR teachers for half the day. One teacher has three zoom meetings in a block even though nothing else changes during that block, and Iā€™m going crazy. I didnā€™t see that until an hour ago and so heā€™s missed at least five classes between yesterday and this morning.

I quiiiiiiiiiiiit

4 Likes

So it turns out itā€™s just his morning teacher who does that. Most of the teachers have a meeting for each time they change rooms/cohorts, which makes sense because they donā€™t want other students hanging around in classes that arenā€™t theirs. His is the only one who changes meetings every 45 minutes for four hours for the exact same students in the exact same room in one block of time.

I feel a little better knowing that, because that means that outside of her class things are pretty easy. I still want to know whyyyyyy but at least itā€™s a lot less to keep track of.

4 Likes

Sounds stressful, youā€™ll get the hang of it, though Iā€™m sure. Iā€™m lucky, my son is 17, can figure this shit out on his own. I feel bad skipping most the parent meetings about tech but it exhausting listening to older parents trying to get the teachers to walk them through tech setup. I commented that we needed the more savvy parents to volunteer to help with I.T. but they gave me the most vacant eyes and then moved on, I guess they like wasting the teacherā€™s time. :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

iā€™m really into making stickers right now and im about to mail about 3,000 of them to wtf readers startingā€¦ next week! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That sounds really rather neat!

3 Likes

The fires on the West Cost are out of control, and Air Quality is so bad. Hope that those being affected by it are doing ok.
In SoCal, and fires are inland from me, but the heat was scorching.

No climate deniers around these parts. Some family inland and they are on call to be evacuated, but so far ok in the Bobcat fire. Each year it just gets hotter and hotter.

What can you say about the year 2020 - GO AWAY.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=3d52817a120b477db912add2e62ef9b6

2 Likes

Yeah my air purifiers all kicked on full steam a couple days ago and havenā€™t stopped. Itā€™s not as bad here in Seattle compared to the orange skies of San Francisco but you can see smoke in the air. Not good to breathe at all. I like to hang out on my patio a night reading, now if Iā€™m out there for longer than 30 mins it makes my eyes burn and water.

4 Likes

Yesā€¦awful. i have air purifier going as wellā€¦and spend limited time outside. Wearing mask is needed for yet another dangerous reasonā€¦pervasive smoky winds.

4 Likes

I only know a few people who live in California and so far one of them has had family told to evacuate, but other than that no one in my close circles are affected. Except for the air. Sometimes the air here gets terrible, and a couple days ago we had a pyrocumulonimbus from the Creek fire crash out as it entered the Valley and we couldnā€™t see very far out of our windows or safely spend time outside. If I had to guess, that will probably happen again. :confused:

My roommate is from the San Jose area and he doesnā€™t really talk to his family anymore, but heā€™s really uncomfortable with how close itā€™s getting to the place he grew up.

5 Likes

Followup: After another morning of not being able to get him into his morning classes because of that zoom setup, I learned that we werenā€™t the only ones having some trouble, and the schedule has been fixed to be like everyone elseā€™s and itā€™s just a HUGE relief, hopefully I donā€™t spend tomorrow morning the same way.

5 Likes