WTF Community

šŸ’¬ WTFJHT water cooler - chitchat thread

This is just so neat:

5 Likes

Yay, we can enjoy outside again!

7 Likes

Hey can you get in trouble because your pharmacists sucks?

1 Like

There have been some great shows this past year. :clap: what did you enjoy the most? Schittā€™s Creek gets better on the rewatch, new comfort when I canā€™t sleep.

The complete list of 2020 Emmy Award winners

5 Likes

This this this :dart:

4 Likes

I liked Shitts Creek but I think Ozark should have gotten more awards. Still some shows I need to catch up on Euphoria is one. :ocean::heart::mask:

2 Likes

Weā€™ve been watch Lovecraft Country on HBO is itā€™s so good! Anybody else?

Itā€™s supernatural sc-fi period horror series. All the themes center around racism and identity in America. Itā€™s brilliant, weird and scary. Highly recommended if you already like the sc-fi horror genre.

3 Likes

I have been meaning to try that one out. Lovecraft Country also. So much to watch, so little time.

3 Likes

Ooooh Lovecraf Country is ABSOLUTELY my next to-watch, I even downloaded the episodes of the accompanying podcast in anticipation of watching an ep, listening to an ep! So happy to hear you like it!!

3 Likes

Umbrella Academy is a much darker and stranger look at superheroes, time travel, and all manner of crazy. Itā€™s fun and strange and Iā€™ve enjoyed it quite a bit. Itā€™s part of the trend of media that de-constructs or plays with the superhero narrative, some of which I like, some of which I feel can get a bit forced. It varies.

3 Likes

Lovecraft Country looks really good, but also Iā€™m not completely sure what to make of it. I only just learned of its existence recently, and Iā€™m kind of fussy about adaptations of Lovecraftā€™s world. It has a very particular atmosphere to it that I look for, and anything that invokes it directly has to live up to that.

One of my very favorites is In the Mouth of Madness, whichā€¦ many of the visual effects are pretty dated (and they obviously ran out of money for imagery they probably should have left out if thatā€™s the case, you canā€™t convey a teeming rift into a realm of pure horror with like a few guys in suits against a black backdrop, some imagination required here), but the themes and atmosphere are present in spades.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s only like three episodes left, you could do the free trail and binge them in a week. The atmosphere is spot on, btw. The storytelling is riveting, glued to my seat, I am only eyes, kind of riveting.

3 Likes

Technically, we have HBO, so I might wait and binge them, they tend to be available via HBO On Demand for us for some time after.

1 Like

If you have HBO, I recently enjoyed Coastal Elites, itā€™s a series of monologues by different actors trying to buildi a narrative about life the Covid/Trump era for ā€œcoastal elitesā€.

I missed all the news today but went to all my favorite farm stands. It was glorious. It wasnā€™t until we were back in range of an NPR station that I even remembered last nights debate even happened.

I recommend having a news free day once in a while, itā€™s so good for your brain. And you might even find pink applesā€¦

You guys were busy on here, this is so great, love it!

5 Likes

I grew up in upstate central New York in Apple country. I now live in Florida. Iā€™ve never seen a pink apple. It looks yummy :yum:

5 Likes

Apple country sounds like a magical place to grow up. I donā€™t know these apple farmers are up to in order to produce this color but these pink apples are amazing. I wonder if there are pink bananas :banana: as well?

5 Likes

Yes there are. Iā€™ve had a few when we were living in Singapore. Lots of different and exotic fruits to be had there. We had a rambutan tree growing outside our bedroom window. The windows there had steel bars across but no glass - just too hot for an enclosed space. The civet cats would gather just outside the window and fight over the fruit all night.

They never bothered to venture inside thank goodness.

5 Likes

I loved that series, but I might just be in love with Kristen Bellā€¦

4 Likes

I never knew how great Ted Danson is, he and Bell were amazing together. I think that might be the last TV show I ever really sat down and watched.

I havenā€™t yet seen The Umbrella Academy, itā€™s been on my to-do list though. I know itā€™s X-Men adjacent, and thatā€™s slightly outside what I typically enjoy. Have you ever seen Misfits? Iā€™m not sure anyone besides me has ever seen Misfits? Itā€™s a British show kind of like The X-Men if instead of students at Xavierā€™s school the kids were delinquents doing community service.

I really liked the first season, maybe two, and then I lost interest but if you like the premise you might really enjoy it if you can find it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes