2020 General Election

Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey said Friday that he will seek the Democratic nomination for president, adding his name to a growing and increasingly diversified field of 2020 candidates intent on taking on President Trump.

Booker made his announcement via an email and video to supporters, and he had interviews scheduled throughout the day.

“The history of our nation is defined by collective action; by interwoven destinies of slaves and abolitionists; of those born here and those who chose America as home; of those who took up arms to defend our country, and those who linked arms to challenge and change it,” Booker said in his video, which made repeated references to Trump and his actions as president.

“I believe that we can build a country where no one is forgotten, no one is left behind; where parents can put food on the table; where there are good paying jobs with good benefits in every neighborhood; where our criminal justice system keeps us safe, instead of shuffling more children into cages and coffins; where we see the faces of our leaders on television and feel pride, not shame,” he said.

Booker joined a race already occupied by three other senators — Kamala D. Harris of California, Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Kirsten Gillibrand of New York — as well as several other candidates.

:grin:

:eyes::bangbang:

Former Massachusetts Gov. William F. Weld is launching a presidential exploratory committee to challenge President Trump in the Republican primaries, saying the country is “in grave peril” and he “cannot sit quietly on the sidelines any longer.”

Weld becomes the first Republican to officially announce he is exploring a run against Trump, and sets up a potential match-up in the first-in-the-nation New Hampshire presidential primary and in other states.

In prepared remarks at the “Politics & Eggs” breakfast in Bedford, N. H., Weld delivered a blistering critique of Trump, saying “we have a president whose priorities are skewed toward promotion of himself rather than toward the good of the country.”

True

I always agree with a candidate who calls T out on the mat for who he is, but I am ever watchful of their personality-type, and whether they can withstand T’s mouth and blowtorch methodology.

Bill Weld may represent the Jeb! type candidate, and will not fare well, should it be T he would contend with. Weld can give an intellectual response but do not know if he can capture the imagination of those beyond the coastal elites…

Part of T’s offensive is to take down every personality type, unless they are beyond reproach, and can wield power - see Nancy Pelosi.

Not sure who our go-to candidate is now. All TBD

Kamala Harris seems to be doing quite well from where I’m sitting. I do have some concerns about her record as a federal prosecutor but that’s a different kind of job than President. She would be formidable in the debates against Trump.

I agree…she is formidable, speaks with conviction and could override the petty antics of any R blowhard.

Still early…and we are literally getting swamped with contenders…just saying that some of them, it must feel like a righteous cause, and some egotistical journey that they want to pursue. Not too many will go too far.

Obama had enough vision, charisma, leadership strengths, little baggage in terms of his career, and showed his smarts but didn’t trounce others. Perhaps Kamala has a lot of the same…she is being very careful with her messaging, so she can carry little baggage (minus the pot comments me thinks.)

The races have begun…!

No one cared about those pot stories or the music gaff. It was a real nothing burger.

Contextually, I felt that she may have done some undue harm…but I flinched and did not listen, saying to myself…“ok, here it comes - the right will come after her,” even if the pot laws are sweeping the country.

I am happy with nothing burger then.::heavy_minus_sign::hamburger::heavy_minus_sign:

Bernie Sanders, inching closer to a second bid for the White House, has recorded a campaign video in which he says he is running for president in 2020, according to two people familiar with the spot.

Another hint that Sanders is getting closer to a launch: As POLITICO reported this week, the Sanders team has been interviewing people for top staff positions. Chuck Rocha, a political consultant who advised Sanders’ 2016 campaign, is expected to join him again if a second bid materializes.

It is unclear when, or even whether, the Sanders video will be released. It’s possible that Sanders could launch a 2020 campaign with an exploratory committee and then formally declare his candidacy later, a route other presidential candidates, such as Sen. Elizabeth Warren, have taken.

So as a Democrat or Independent? Making me nervous… please don’t go Independent​:pray::pray::pray:

He’s running