WTF Community

🗳 2020 Primary Election

So far only Castro and Warren have said they are in favor of impeachment at this point.

At nearly the same time as Warren spoke out, fellow progressive Bernie Sanders, the polling leader among candidates currently in the race, waved off press questions about the Mueller report in South Carolina.

On Thursday, former Rep. Beto O’Rourke, D-Texas, who said during his Senate campaign last year against Ted Cruz that he would vote to impeach Trump, framed the question as one for Congress or the voters — rather than presidential candidates.

Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Indiana, said he was “pretty sure” Trump “deserves to be impeached” but deferred to Congress, while former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro, speaking before Warren, said it would be “perfectly reasonable” for lawmakers to launch impeachment proceedings. “This president should be held accountable,” Castro said on MSNBC.

Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., said on MSNBC’s “All In with Chris Hayes” on Thursday that she wants to hear what Mueller has to say about his report before passing judgment on whether impeachment proceedings should begin — similar to the position of her fellow Californian, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, perhaps the most important player in any impeachment drama.

3 Likes

Booker wants to read the report without redactions and listen to Mueller’s testimony before making a final decision.

1 Like

Rep. Seth Moulton announces 2020 presidential run (19th candidate)

1 Like

CNN Townhall Event tonight. Caution, this one is really, really long. Highlights and videos below :point_down:

Five Democratic presidential candidates will face voters in New Hampshire tonight at back-to-back CNN town halls.

• Moments ago: Sen. Amy Klobuchar
  • NOW: Sen. Elizabeth Warren
  • 9 p.m. ET: Sen. Bernie Sanders
  • 10 p.m. ET: Sen. Kamala Harris
  • 11 p.m. ET : Mayor Pete Buttigieg
1 Like

Group question. Bernie was on Fox News not too long ago, but I didn’t post about it, now Mayor Pete has voiced interest in going on Fox News. Should we post about it? Or only post about it if it such appearances generate news, as in new information or scandal? What are your thoughts?

1 Like

Yes…Only if they make some news, like when Bernie got some positive feedback from the folks at FOX.

Good idea…post when news is being made.

1 Like

I debated so hard with myself about sharing that clip. Now I wish I had posted, that crowd loved Medicare for all.

I think this will always be an imperfect thread. I’m trying to stay away from the inner drama on the Dems side and line up Trumps opponents because I feel like there will be more Trump back and forth drama as we get closer. We’re still in the Money Primary phase so it’s still super early.

1 Like

Yes, who’s got the best backers…and the ‘getting to know you phase’ that is being reviewed. The early favorites may go the way of Howard Dean (perhaps) but we will see a lot of Dem positioning, and likeability factoring…but the T drama will remain.
(See T - suing Nadler for the Financial Records, and so on)

I like seeing all the schenanigans…especially the Chris Wallace (Fox) wins, and when Bernie makes points, Buttigieg melting hearts etc. I do look on Drudge Report all the time, to see where they (T 'n Co) are taking their fight…

I have stopped listening to the Hannity/Carlson garbage…and FWIW, I like seeing that T is down to 37 likeability points and T spews “nobody disobeys my orders” because that has got to send out some negatives. When that base gets lower, I am happy.

Sen. Kamala Harris late Monday said she would support Congress starting impeachment proceedings against President Donald Trump.

That comes on the heels of fellow Democratic presidential contender Sen. Elizabeth Warren last week calling for impeachment.

“I think we have very good reason to believe that there is an investigation that has been conducted, which has produced evidence that tells us that this president and his administration engaged in obstruction of justice,” Harris in response to a question at a CNN town hall in New Hampshire. “I believe Congress should take the steps toward impeachment.”

3 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Of the top tier of active candidates seeking the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination ― usually identified by pundits to include Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), Buttigieg, former Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D-Texas), Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) ― only Buttigieg is actively accepting donations from Washington lobbyists. Several lower-profile candidates, including former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper and Washington Gov. Jay Inslee, are also taking lobbyist cash.

It’s unclear whether former Vice President Joe Biden, a leading potential candidate who is expected to enter the presidential race soon, will take lobbyist money. A Biden spokesman didn’t respond to an email seeking comment.

2 Likes

Former vice president Joe Biden is planning to enter the 2020 presidential race, joining a crowded field with a candidacy that will test many of the questions facing the Democratic Party.

Biden is expected to make the announcement in a video Thursday morning, according to a source close to him, which will be followed by a trip Monday to a union hall in Pittsburgh.

He will enter the race in an unfamiliar position, as a front-runner, following campaigns in 1988 and 2008 that ended in extreme failures.

Moulton joins Castro, Warren and Harris on impeachment.

The latest is Massachusetts Rep. Seth Moulton, who declared his candidacy on Monday and who, in an interview on NPR’s Morning Edition, said, "We absolutely should be having this debate."

Moulton said he was ready to begin impeachment proceedings last year. “Don’t tell me there’s not enough to debate impeaching the president,” Moulton said, accusing Trump of obstructing justice, violating campaign finance laws and profiting from his office, in violation of the U.S. Constitution’s Emoluments Clause. "He is subject to the same laws as the rest of us are, and that’s why we should move forward with this debate."

2 Likes

Biden is running

2 Likes

Can’t even commit to not using stolen information in the next election.

3 Likes

Biden fundraising numbers are coming out today.

1 Like

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/joe-biden-campaign-reports-raising-63-million-in-24-hours/2019/04/26/d824d4b0-6852-11e9-a1b6-b29b90efa879_story.html

The average donation made online was $41, the campaign said Friday, a day after Biden formally entered the race via a video posted to Twitter. Within 90 minutes of that video posting, the campaign said, contributions had flowed in from 50 states.

Of the $6.3 million raised in the first 24 hours, 61 percent was raised from new donors to the Biden campaign, officials said. And $4.9 million of the amount was raised online, the campaign said.

Biden’s first-day haul surpasses that of former congressman Beto O’Rourke of Texas, who previously held the biggest first-day figure, reportedly at $6.1 million. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) had reported raising $5.9 million on the first day. First-day figures reported by campaigns are not verifiable independently using public records.

1 Like

Good

2 Likes

:seedling:

U.S. presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke on Monday laid out one of the most detailed climate policies so far in the crowded Democratic field, calling for a $5 trillion investment in clean energy technology and infrastructure over 10 years with a goal of reaching net-zero emissions by 2050.

2 Likes

A huge, huge tactical error by Trump. Once again, he “goes by his gut” and has completely screwed up. Obviously, (and true to form), he’s not listening to any campaign advisors because talk like this will surely cost him the election and anyone versed in election strategy would tell him so. This will only serve to dramatically shrink his base. Just watch, he’ll desperately try to walk this back, but it’s too late – Union members will not forget this day.

President Donald Trump on Monday unleashed a series of tweets criticizing leaders of major labor unions and former Vice President Joe Biden, who launched his 2020 presidential campaign last week.

Biden was scheduled to speak to the Teamsters union Monday in Pennsylvania, a state Trump won in 2016, but where Biden was born and raised.

Four minutes after his tweet about Pennsylvania, Trump wrote:

In response to Trump’s attack, Biden tweeted:

Earlier in the day Monday, the International Association of Fire Fighters announced that it would endorse Biden in 2020. In a video posted on YouTube, IAFF’s general president, Harold Schaitberger, said Biden, “will be a champion for the public’s safety in America, fighting for policies and legislation that improve the lives and livelihoods of not just firefighters, but all who work for a living.”

… ever since taking office, Trump has seen his support fall among union members. A May 2018 Reuters/Ipsos poll found that approval of Trump among union members had dropped 15 points since its high in May 2017, versus only an 8 point drop among all Americans.

2 Likes

Need an optimistic boost to start your day? Try this:

Maddow covers Indivisible.org’s highly successful campaign to ensure Democrats maintain a solid, united front against Trump in the run up to the 2020 elections. I’d heard some buzz about Indivisible, but didn’t know much about them – now, after watching this segment, all I can say is, “Wow!” I’m impressed – they have it together – they are laser focused on a winning strategy that the DNC should sit up and take notice of.

Here’s the pledge they are inviting Democratic candidates to sign:

Make the primary constructive. I’ll respect the other candidates and make the primary election about inspiring voters with my vision for the future.

Rally behind the winner. I’ll support the ultimate Democratic nominee, whoever it is — period. No Monday morning quarterbacking. No third-party threats. Immediately after there’s a nominee, I’ll endorse.

Do the work to beat Trump. I will do everything in my power to make the Democratic Nominee the next President of the United States. As soon as there is a nominee, I will put myself at the disposal of the campaign.

Democratic candidates are embracing the pledge. In just five days, the following have signed it:

Onward to 2020! :racehorse:

3 Likes