WTF Community

Actually getting Trump out of the office

I think the 25th amendment is the quickest way to dump the jerk, however I believe , and I could be mistaken, that this would take the courage of 14 patriots, unfortunately those 14 key individuals possess neither of those qualities, and therefore a moot point

1 Like

This Nation article spells out the options pretty well.

And for funā€¦

How impeachment works.

The Constitution gives the House of Representatives the right to impeach the president. Impeachment means that a charge of misconduct is filed against the president. A majority of the members of the House must vote for these charges in order to impeach the president.
After the charges of misconduct are filed, the Senate has the power to try impeachment cases like a court. Two-thirds of the senators must vote for conviction. The president may be removed from office and never allowed to hold a government position again if he is found guilty.
Our 17th president, Andrew Johnson, was impeached while in office. Thirty-five senators found him guilty ā€“ just one vote short of the two-thirds vote necessary to convict him.
President Richard Nixon resigned from office rather than face impeachment charges in the Watergate scandal in 1974. President Bill Clinton became the second president to be impeached by the House in 1998. Later, the Senate found him not guilty.
https://www.congressforkids.net/Executivebranch_impeachment.htm

3 Likes

Yes, but that still wouldnā€™t remove the UN-American GOP thatā€™s still doing the bidding of the ultra-rich & perhaps the Russians as well. Donā€™t get me wrong, getting rid of trump would make me Happy-Dance all over the place, but thereā€™s still the problem of the greedy, unethical & dishonest party that has enabled his every move.

1 Like

insert obligatory ā€œyeah, but democrats arenā€™t much better and thatā€™s the problem with the two-party systemā€ comment here

3 Likes

We do need WAY better choicesā€¦which weā€™ll never get as long as big money buys our elections and gerrymandering further manipulates the outcomes. By everything theyā€™ve supported, the GOP motto seems to be ā€œkeep America sick, poor & dumbā€- which makes the Democrats smell pretty good by comparison- but I agree we need significant changes going forward.

2 Likes

Well, Iā€™ll tell ya what, half a nation doin ā€œThe Happy Danceā€ before mid-terms,ā€¦thatā€™d be historic, that would be better than Christmas to a six year oldšŸ˜

3 Likes

Here in the Heart of Trumpland, ā€œJack-N-Killā€ (Jacksonville) Florida. That shooting in Miami by a depressed white Trump fan really woke people up. All hope is not lost. All of my local friends gush one day about how something Trump said or did saved them from povertyā€¦and realize within a week that actually Obama did that and now Trump just undid that. Keep the fool talking; his supporters want nothing more than for him to just shut up.

And keep pushing to reschedule Marijuana and fund opioid addiction centers. When Marco Rubio says ā€œDonā€™t talk about guns. Talk about mental Illnessā€¦ā€ What he means is that Floridians have an opioid problem and a poor economy problem and a climate change problem and their guns help them feel better about it.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been helping explain Capitalism to my Republican friends by beating them at Monopoly without cheating. They didnā€™t realize that a rigged game favors the intelligent but perpetually unlucky. And husbands are sick of wives that are too traumatized from being raped as children to successfully finish college and start a career, or even report to a 9-5 when they can barely muster the energy to keep their house clean and their children nurtured.

ā€¦Thatā€™s the downtrought working class vibe that Trump and Bannon pandered to. Bannon helping Mueller confuses them to no end, and the only explanation they can accept is that obviously Trump bribed Bannon to shut up, but didnā€™t have enough to offer because heā€™s technically broke.

One last thought:

Please help me kick out Marco Rubio. We have numerous decent candidates on both sides that want to help Florida and the local parks and schools without catering to Trumpā€™s public tantrums. The Koch Brothers have taken a special interest in Floridaā€™s midterms and my extra funds went to helping my home state of Wisconsin flip. Everyone I know up there is fed up with Paul Ryanā€™s gamesā€¦which is why Mitt Romney lost of Obama, even though they were practically the same guy politically.

Donā€™t totally dispare America. You still have a champion of law and civility. Robert Mueller will save the day-and your bacon.
If you do not recal-and most will not-it took The Washington Post never ending pursuit of truth and honor against the Nixon administration TWO years to get to all of the facts and make lawmakers understand what had happened. The reporting forced the government to look into the conspiracy and act using two special prosecutors, to finally get the truth and the facts in front of the citizenry of the country.
Trump WILL have his day!

3 Likes

At least the Democrats didnā€™t conspire with Russians. :neutral_face:

Agree, but many more (supported by Koch Bros or Russia etc.) need to be ousted too. Much to do!
Not a fair $ fight when Citizenā€™s United remains, & if EVER there was a deceptive name, thatā€™s it! :open_mouth:

1 Like

I truly believed, at the start of 2017, that Trump wouldnā€™t last more than two years. Now, Iā€™m not so sure. Even then, though, what concerned me most what how effing far one had to go down the line of succession before anything looked any better. Thatā€™s why I hope for and cling to my belief that the 2018 midterms might make a difference, a big difference. Unless and until we (who are not Republicans) control at least one part of this government there is no hope. Had I not been alive and aware for the past 15 months I simply would never have believed that this country and its so-called government could have devolved to its current state of horrible. But it has. At this point, Iā€™m trusting the younger folks to save the rest of us. Iā€™d be more worried about whether they are informed, engaged, enthusiastic except for two recent events: 1- the Alabama Senate election in December and, 2- the near immediate reaction of the kids in south Florida who basically said, ā€œif yā€™all wonā€™t do this, WE WILLā€. I must believe that there are more people, like us, who are so appalled and disgusted with Trump, McConnell, Ryan and their ilk that we will turn out and vote those bastards out. 2018 is critical. I believe we can do it. P.S. I live in Alabama. Trust me when I say that Democratā€™s victory was nothing short of a miracle, the one joyful moment that made the past year even bearable.

2 Likes

Iā€™m hoping Robert Mueller is the hero of this era.

2 Likes

My brother, his wife, their daughter all live in Broward County and will definitely vote Rubio and Scott Out.

3 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry! :hugs: Not much better where I am. Few of us (here on WTF) ever imagined our country this way, & yes, my hopes are on Mueller too.

1 Like

Laughing here, Lynn! And Iā€™m only 30 miles from the Florida line.

I love Randy Bryce! I donā€™t live there but Iā€™m thinking of donating anyway.

2 Likes

In this time of trouble, I remembered my dadā€™s advice to me 20 years ago about how he kept the facts straight during Clintonā€™s impeachment:

• Donā€™t read articles with emotion-grabbing headlines
  • Subscribe to the New York Times
  • But donā€™t read about it in the New York Times unless the Washington Post says pretty much the same thing
  • Subscribe to the Washington Postā€¦even if you donā€™t plan on reading it

Funny how some random thing someone tells you when youā€™re barely listening eventually crops up again. I followed his advice to the letter, and suddenly Republicans stopped calling me retarded for telling them that Iā€™ve always read both sides of the story before deciding how I feel. The New York Times is honest, but often keeps sources anonymous - if the anonymous source was a Washington Insider, then of course people who think Fox News is journalism (rather than entertainment) would rather not believe the Times.

1 Like

It makes me feel better to know that Iā€™ve been following your dads advice for some time (without even knowing it! lol).

2 Likes