WTF Community

Actually getting Trump out of the office

I think the reason many of us have become so cynical is that for all the topics listed here and for all the crap and horribleness and demented actions and speech and broken laws and ever increasing indications of Trump and Russian collusion, etc. etc., no action is or has been undertaken to get this buffoon out of the Presidential office. Just reading and being aware of his daily evil, just makes me frustrated because–NOTHING SEEMS TO MATTER.
Now I am losing faith in the mid term elections as we have been told directly that Russia is in fact going to meddle. That’s why Trump refused to impose sanctions… He needed Russia for the mid terms.

10 Likes

I see his popularity is actually increasing, although I do not understand how people can like anything about him, regardless of your politics. I think a lot of people seem to care mostly about the economy, so unless the economy tanks, there will be no action taken, despite the harm being done in the meantime. I feel a lot of anxiety about the future, and agree that it is hard not to lose faith. I am hoping this forum will be a good place to gather ideas and maybe a sense of hope?

5 Likes

What do you propose?

1 Like

He should be removed for treason and obstruction of justice. But I recognize that both houses would have to come together and agree to do it. As long as the GOP is getting their agenda met, they just continue to tolerate him and his evil stupidity.

3 Likes

Well once we get him under oath he’s bound to lie so maybe we can get him like the republicans got bill right? But seeing as nothing else has really mattered so far who freakin knows… :confused: I can understand your lack of faith for anything to get better. The only thing lately thats given me any hope is the special elections we have had recently and the amazing victories that have come from it. Look at Virginia and Alabama. It starts at the city and state level. We have to encourage change from the bottom up. I am helping several candidates in my county here in CA to get elected. I am in Orange County which is usually a red county. We went blue for the first time in a long ass time last year but we still have the shitty congressmen like Dana Rohrabacher who is retiring so we need someone who’s not even worse to take his place! So thats what I would encourage everyone to do. Get involved in your local elections.

9 Likes

This is pure conjecture…But as far as getting T out, it could be his potential testimony with Mueller where he’ll undoubtedly perjure himself. The question has been will he refuse to have a one-on-one meeting with Mueller, or will he be supoenaed? If the latter, he would be without his lawyers (to guide him). When Bill Clinton had to testify under oath - the use of video was something he did not expect, and revealed some questionable what “is” moments. For Nixon it was the revelation of the tapes, the missing 18 mins. I may be optimistic but let’s not forget the roll of public opinion if something like T does get questioned, does get videotaped, and leaked…and more than likely he’s perjured himself. Granted T’s popularity with his base (40%) and the stalwart support from the R’s, and his cling ons…will never waver. It is possible that Mueller is creating an ‘airtight’ case against him - say money laundering, obstruction of justice. - Potentially this leaks out if Rod Rosenstein does not recommend grounds for impeachment (indictments or perjury), there may be a groundswell of public opinion and Dems/and a few R’s who see he’s not coming back from this. Yes, how will the chips fall?

5 Likes

Do you think the chances of getting him out before 2020 are improved if the Dems can take back (hopefully) both houses of Congress in November? I’m cautiously optimistic based on the results of the special/local elections that have been happening, but I know the GOP plays dirty. More voter suppression, gerrymandering - they want to impeach the Dem judges in PA for making them redraw their extremely gerrymandered map. What hope do you think we have when the other side so brazenly cheats and no low is too low for them to stoop to?

3 Likes

I’m not much of a pundit and have no insight on this beyond what you know, but I think you have to believe he’s going the full four years, doesn’t win the GOP nomination, and things play out from there. Obstruction of justice investigations, impeachment investigations, and removing a president take a long fucking time. Clock’s ticking…

5 Likes

I think we have to accept the idea that 45 is going the full 4 years. I don’t have to approve it but I do have to accept the probability. If that is the case, what next? The answer is that we have to limit the damage the republicans can do. The way to do that is for the Dems to take back the house. With a Dem speaker controlling what gets debated/voted on there is a good deal of power to limit the damage. So we do all we can to flip the house. In my case, living in an extremely red district inside of an extremely blue state, that means donating cash directly to campaigns around the country that have the best chances of flipping to blue.

7 Likes

Yeah, I tend to agree with you despite the horrifying prospect of another 2+ years of this. On the upside, if the Dems can win at least one house of Congress then at least we’re in a better position to block his awful policies (to the extent he even has any).

5 Likes

You can flip your county! Orange County CA went blue for the first time since 1936!!! It can happen! Just gotta keep it local and everyone you know and everyone they know out there to vote! Donate to your local candidates and help flip your district. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

and the time it takes is for a good reason (to me), if it’s not a provable crime (and egregious) then partisanship will get worse. maybe any removal/indictment/whatever will make things worse regardless, but i have some hope that an actual crime will reduce the responses of "yeah, but he’s on my side for ".

2 Likes

I would have to disagree with this characterization. Grassroots orgs have been working since before the inauguration to do so, even if unsuccessful. Also on at least two occasions, there have been articles of impeachment introduced in the House – while they were DOA because the majority of Congressional Republicans have refused to put country before party, the effort is there.

Very early on it became obvious that the Congressional Republicans will do nothing – thus, leaving the only line of offense being the long-game of taking back the House in 2018. We can already begin to see this pay dividends, as Democrats have may huge leaps in special elections (either closing the margin or flipping the seat) at all levels of government and Dem fundraising is way ahead of the GOP, as well as public engagement.

There has also been unprecedented inter-district support between local blue and red districts. As @vanishingfin mentioned – flipping the 4 red districts that went for Clinton in '16 in the OC is totally doable. My congressman even held a townhall for my district with ALL the Dem candidates for those 4 OC districts to find out how we can get involved to help those candidates get elected (since my district right next to 2/4 of them). Ted Lieu spoke (and took questions!) at the “empty-chair” townhall in CA-48 awhile back since Rohrabacher only cares about Moscow, not his own constituents. Pre-2016 members of Congress would never “intrude” on another district.

Here are the numbers:

• 23 districts have a GOP MoC, but went for Clinton in 2016
  • 24 seats needed to flip to take back the House
    • 7 of those districts are in California alone, 4 in Orange County
    • These 7 don’t include districts like Devin Nunes (no explanation needed here lol) and Duncan Hunter (currently under investigation).
  • 33 Republican Congressman are retiring/not running for re-election (I think this is the latest number, but they keep dropping like flies lol)

Taking back the House is totally doable, by the numbers alone!

At the end of the day, nothing meaningful can happen with the Democrats in the minority. Even then, the chances of removing him are still slim - but a muchhhhh better chance then that can be done until then.

6 Likes

Hey @mouseam ! are you in the 48th? I am in 47th district which is Lowenthal (who is amazing) But I am in OC which is so dumb with the gerrymandering, like, that I am in a district that shares two fuckin’ counties. But most of my friends and coworkers are in 48 and I am closely watching all the bullshit thats going on and the protests that have been happening in front of Dana’s office in HB. I can bet you that all of the constant pressure OC has been putting on Dana and the constant protests are why he’s retiring! Resistance is working even if its just like slowly chipping away things.

2 Likes

Nope! I’m in the 47th. :slight_smile:

(Also, CA’s districts are designed by a Citizens Redistricting Commission so while it doesn’t always make sense, it’s not always gerrymandering. :upside_down_face:)

oh really? lol everyone kept telling me it was gerrymandering…

also hit me up if theres ever any interesting things going on in our district. everyone i know is in 48 or like 49 lol

Bleh. In another three years, it’ll take a decade or more to restore what he has destroyed. I’m a person who, when someone does something completely nonsensical, tries to fathom what’s in his or her mind. But his attacks on everything that has taken more than a century to build almost feels like he’s laughing at the whole nation and willing it’s destruction. What kind of mindset is this? Is this how T.H.E.Y. felt about Obama for 8 years? I would think his posturing with N. Korea and nuclear threats and military build up would be enough to render him unfit for office. Does ANYbody really want that? He’s a loose cannon out of control. It’s my understanding that when Nixon started really acting like a loon, several Senators stood in force and said, “It’s time for you to step down.” If Mueller provides an air-tight case, why should it take a long time to get him out?

3 Likes

Due process is a bitch. Gotta bring charges, prove it, then go through all the proceedings for impeachment AND still have a vote for removal from office

2 Likes

Le sigh. I’m old and live in the mountains. I could just ignore the whole thing, that is unless we get nuked. Then, I’m going to take that personally. :laughing::face_with_raised_eyebrow: