WTF Community

🔍 All things Mueller - What we know he has on Trump 'n Co

We already read the transcript, but listening to the voice mail really drives home that Dowd is witness tampering. The question is did Trump direct Dowd to make this call? If so, then Trump himself is guilty of witness tampering. Even if Trump didn’t direct the call, but simply knew about it, he is guilty of obstruction of justice by covering up Dowd’s witness tampering.

3 Likes

Short version:

In depth:

@Pet_Proletariat posted about the developing Andrew Miller story on May 31. It is now emerging as a potentially explosive investigation.

Miller has turned over crucial documents covering the time when Stone was at the Republican National Convention – a time when the highly suspicious pro-Russia change was made to the Republican platform. We don’t know for certain, but it’s looking more and more like this investigation is trying to find out who ordered that last minute change and from how far up the ladder it may have come – and did it involve a collaboration with agents of the Russian government? All open questions – we may be getting closer to the answers.

A former aide to political operative Roger Stone has turned over to a grand jury all of his text messages with Stone from October 2016 to March 2017, as well as the written agenda for Stone while he was at the Republican National Convention in 2016.

The aide, Andrew Miller, turned over the documents in response to a federal grand jury subpoena following his two-hour testimony last Friday before the body, according to communications between Miller’s lawyer and the government that were reviewed by POLITICO.

The subpoena offers a glimpse into the government’s ongoing investigation of Stone, an informal Trump campaign adviser who was indicted in January on charges of lying to Congress and the FBI about his dealings with WikiLeaks during the 2016 election. He has pleaded not guilty and is awaiting a trial, set for November.

Under Justice Department policy and court rulings, grand juries are not supposed to be used to investigate a criminal case that’s already been filed, although they can be used to add new charges or to charge new defendants. Legal experts say it is relatively common for prosecutors to use multiple grand juries for a complex investigation, particularly one that continues over a protracted period.

It’s still unclear what additional crimes D.C. prosecutors are investigating, however. But the prosecutors recently revealed in court filings that they had 18 search warrants approved against Stone — dating back to August 2017 — for potential crimes that he wasn’t charged with earlier this year, including conspiracy, wire fraud, and foreign contribution bans.

Adding to the intrigue is the fact that Miller testified before a new grand jury rather than the one convened by Mueller that Miller was initially fighting, and that he was held in contempt over.
…
The new subpoena suggests that the grand jury wants to know more about Stone’s involvement in the Republican convention — where he gave speeches and schmoozed with journalists — and about his conversations with one of his most trusted aides during a period that included WikiLeaks’ release of Hillary Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta’s emails, the presidential transition and Trump’s inauguration.

Mueller’s team scrutinized the Trump campaign’s activities at the convention after it was reported that it had softened an amendment to the Republican platform to be more favorable to Russia. It was during the Republican convention, moreover, that Russian hackers sent a file to WikiLeaks with instructions on how to download stolen Democratic National Committee documents. WikiLeaks released the internal emails on July 22, 2016, the last day of the convention and just before the start of the Democratic National Convention.

There are eighteen search warrants relating to potential crimes for which Stone has not yet been charged – wow!

BTW, I’m posting this in the Mueller thread mainly because it does my heart good to consider that Mueller created waves that continue to roll through the courts. Technically, though, this is beyond Mueller’s control (he has stepped down, after all) and this is a different grand jury than the one Mueller originally convened. This new grand jury was a surprise, even to the defendant, Miller, and his attorney. Anyway, glad to discover that new grand juries are being convened to pursue the truth about Trump. :mag_right: :balance_scale:

P.S. Anytime you read about Stone’s ties to Wikileaks and any other potential crimes he may have committed, recall how close Stone was to Trump throughout the entire campaign – according to this in-depth article from the New York Times, they spoke frequently on the phone. Stone claims they never spoke about Wikileaks. Now come on, Wikileaks was the biggest thing in the news by the end of the RNC and Trump couldn’t stop talking about how much he loved Wikileaks so how could he and Stone (another huge Wikileaks fan with proven ties to the organization) not talk about it? Did they also talk about the pro-Russia change to the Republican platform?

3 Likes

The Mueller Report’s Secret Memos

BuzzFeed News sued the US government for the right to see all the work that Mueller’s team kept secret. Today we are publishing the first installment.

Today, in response to a court order, the Justice Department has released the first installment of documents: 500 pages of summaries of FBI interviews with witnesses, available here for the first time. Another installment will be released every month for at least the next eight years.

Known as “302 reports,” these summaries of interviews — which have been conducted with people such as former White House counsel Don McGahn, former attorney general Jeff Sessions, and Trump’s former fixer and lawyer Michael Cohen — are some of the most important and highly sought-after documents from Mueller’s investigation. They reveal what key players in the campaign told FBI agents about Russia, Trump, his business dealings, and his attempts to impede the special counsel’s investigation.

4 Likes

I’m wondering if there will be any insight into what Flynn has told Mueller about Pence’s seeming complicity in helping cover up his secret payments from Turkey. I still can’t understand why a bigger deal wasn’t made about this at the time and why it has lain dormant for so long. After receiving the payments, Flynn even followed through with his part of the “quid pro quo” by making a military decision that was favorable to Turkey. (BTW, let’s just call “quid pro quo” what it is: payback for a bribe.)

This has been bugging me for a long time and I’ve posted about it before, but if you missed it, here’s a link to an AP article that was published when the story first broke – other news outlets corroborated the cover up at the time – then – radio silence.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/g00/news/nationworld/politics/ct-flynn-turkey-military-plan-20170517-story.html?i10c.encReferrer=&i10c.ua=1&i10c.dv=18

2 Likes