WTF Community

šŸ¤® Coronavirus (Community Thread)

GOP Logic vs. Covid logic
Covid always wins

This AZ Sheriff and proponent not to wear masks caught the highly contagious virus. He was also supposed to visit the WH in the last day or so but was tested and could not attend.

As the rest of Arizona followed a stay-at-home order imposed by the governor in May, Pinal County Sheriff Mark Lamb proclaimed that the stateā€™s attempt to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus was unconstitutional.

ā€œThe numbers donā€™t justify the actions anymore,ā€ the defiant Republican sheriff told the Arizona Republic at the time, vowing not to arrest people or shut down businesses that violated the order. ā€œThree hundred deaths is not a significant enough number to continue to ruin the economy.ā€

On Wednesday, less than two months after publicly challenging the stateā€™s efforts to slow the spread of a virus that has now spiked in Arizona, Lamb announced he had tested positive for the coronavirus before a scheduled meeting with President Trump.

In a Facebook post, Lamb wrote he was invited on Tuesday to the White House as part of Trumpā€™s meeting with law enforcement officials and the signing of his executive action on policing. As part of a mandatory coronavirus screening for all White House visitors, he learned he had the virus.

2 Likes

Businesses Want Virus Legal Protection. Workers Are Worried.

Businesses are lobbying Congress for protections against coronavirus-related lawsuits, but unions and Democrats fear a liability shield would encourage reckless behavior.

3 Likes

I just wish he wasnā€™t asymptomatic. I imagine he still thinks itā€™s nothing to be concerned about.

5 Likes

Former head of CDC says to study these mutation variations for insights into next steps.

4 Likes

This is a really, truly difficult video about what healthcare workers are facing in the hotspots.

4 Likes

CNN reporting that 6 T campaign staffers have Coronavirus.

No magical thinking can wash that fact away.

WTF. WTF. WTFā€¦:exploding_head: :mask:

#file under Election 2020 maybe too @Pet_Proletariat and @MissJavaā€¦

4 Likes

Interesting Graphicā€¦

3 Likes

NPR is on that story:

3 Likes

No kind of joke at all - Trump admits and gloats about how he wanted to under test on Coronavirus is dangerous, and par for the course of ā€œI do not take responsibilityā€ for this Coronavirus.

5 Likes

Ooooohā€¦ wow. And Trump is now officially using the highly offensive ā€œkung fluā€ openly at his Tulsa Hate Rally

Also a whole lot of his other ā€œgreatest hitsā€ of racism and bigotry.

Donald Trump calls Covid-19 ā€˜kung fluā€™ at Tulsa rally

Civil liberties groups have warned use of terms such as ā€˜Chinese virusā€™ can inspire racism against Asian Americans

Trump refers to ā€˜kung flu,ā€™ West Point ramp and ā€˜sleepy Joe Bidenā€™ as he returns to campaign at Tulsa rally

https://abcn.ws/3ddKdHu via @ABC

2 Likes

Over 230 members of Oregon church get COVID-19 -

A church in eastern Oregon that defied the governorā€™s stay-at-home order has become the stateā€™s hot spot for new cases of COVID-19.

Two-thirds of 356 members of Lighthouse Pentecostal Church tested positive for COVID-19 over the weekend, according to The Associated Press.

3 Likes

I wonder how they are spinning that since ā€œGod will protect meā€. Smh&rme

2 Likes

Last Week Tonightā€™s piece on the Coronavirus in prisons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuxnH0VAkAM

4 Likes

Ugh.

Florida changes ICU reporting

The change could reduce the number of occupied ICU beds being reported to the state.

2 Likes

The number of those now affected by Tā€™s campaign staff in Tulsa now seems to be 8.

4 Likes

The alpaca trio have been immunized with isolated proteins from SARS-CoV-2 and then researchers collect samples of their blood containing nanobodies produced by their immune systems. In the lab, the nanobodies are extracted, tested, and reproduced at a larger scale for use in research and for therapeutic development.

Virus-binding nanobodies from the alpacas can confer passive immunity in humans and thus help fight a SARS-CoV-2 infection. While passive immunity from a disease is shorter-lived compared to the protection oneā€™s own immune response would provide, it helps protect right awayā€”something that could be valuable as we wait for a vaccine, Hersh says.

ā€œNanobodies have many qualities that make them ideal for therapeutic development, particularly for COVID-19,ā€ said Hersh. ā€œThey are small and stable, making them easier to manipulate, and they can be produced more rapidly and in large quantities at a low cost. They are also easily tolerated by the human immune system and could potentially be inhaled for rapid delivery to the lungs.ā€

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been following the Alpaca story. Itā€™s really neat. I think I posted about it before, but itā€™s good to see it progressing!

3 Likes

We all tend to overlap here and there. Good stuff.

3 Likes

Yup. I often come here to post and find it is already, or the forum device tells me so. This article is just out, though, so likely has updates! Nice!

3 Likes

Me too. You guys are the greatest!

3 Likes