WTF Community

Day 1007

1/ Ukraine knew that Trump had frozen $391 million in security assistance by early August. Trump and his allies have repeatedly claimed there could not have been any quid pro quo because the Ukrainians didn't know the assistance had been blocked. The Ukrainians, however, were advised by the first week of August to address it with Mick Mulvaney, the acting White House chief of staff. At the same time, Rudy Giuliani, Gordon Sondland, the U.S. ambassador to the European Union, and Kurt Volker, then the State Department's special envoy to Ukraine, were pressing President Volodymyr Zelensky to make a public commitment to the investigations for Trump's political benefit. (New York Times)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2019/10/23/day-1007/
5 Likes

I’m stupid. Why does the U.S. care if there is corruption in Ukraine? I mean, there is corruption in lots of governments.

5 Likes

Here’s Trump in full on brag mode in 2017 claiming the factories will potentially create 13,000 jobs and crowing that “If I didn’t get elected, the [Chairman of Foxconn] definitely wouldn’t be spending $10 billion dollars [on these factories].” Well, the Chairman isn’t creating the factories and that’s most likely because Trump was elected.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Immigration: issues and policy

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Well, we have pushed for allied nations to eschew corruption at times. We did so in Ukraine for a bit. But the fact is, Trump doesn’t care; it’s an excuse so he can push conspiracy theories and dig for dirt on Biden.

In other news:

Trump’s signature Wisconsin “win” keeps turning out to be a total loss.

Foxconn finally admits its empty Wisconsin ‘innovation centers’ aren’t being developed