WTF Community

Day 1097

1/ The first day of Trump’s impeachment trial began with senators debating rules proposed by Mitch McConnell that will guide the Senate proceedings. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer introduced an amendment to compel acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney to turn over any “documents, communications and other records” kept by the White House regarding the Trump’s 2019 phone calls with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, the decision to withhold aid to Ukraine, probes into the Bidens, and Ukraine’s role in the 2016 election. The Senate voted 53-47 along party lines to kill the amendment. Schumer then proposed an amendment to issue a subpoena for documents to the State Department, which also failed along party lines, before introducing a third amendment to subpoena the Office of Management and Budget, which enforced the freeze on nearly $400 million in aid to Ukraine. The Government Accountability Office, a nonpartisan government watchdog, found that OMB’s hold on the aid to Ukraine was illegal. [Editor’s note: The Senate will continue debating the proposed amendments before they adopt an organizing resolution, which will set the rules for the impeachment trial. This post will be updated whenever something happens.] New York Times / Washington Post / Wall Street Journal / Politico / NBC News / The Guardian / Axios / CNN / CBS News / ABC News)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2020/01/21/day-1097/
4 Likes

Forensic News is back with another uncertain story. As with the last one, they’re claiming they are once again under attack when their servers go down. I suspect they just can’t handle the traffic at this point, since nobody else ever seems to have this issue.

It’s been noted that Scott Steadman is young though fairly reputable, so I am uncertain where to stand on this except watching it.

Yeah. I followed the last thing they put out related to this, and in the end I never saw solid evidence from them. It’s worth watching, but the lack of evidence just frustrates me.

1 Like

I, for one, am willing to bypass uncorroborated stories. I can speculate with the best of “them”. What I’m looking for is facts…and sometimes opinion.

Thanks

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I struggle with these guys. They don’t publish their source material in full – just snippets – and I don’t see any first person quotes. And their stories aren’t corroborated by other, larger media outlets. And and, their stories tend to neatly and conveniently fill in gaps in established storylines. Weird.

Not saying they’re full of shit and there is probably some truth here but I think I’ll pass

3 Likes

Oh, I agree. I keep a watch on this in case more comes up on it, but it never does or has, so I always warn folks to be wary.

1 Like