WTF Community

Day 1120

1/ Attorney General Bill Barr said Trump’s “constant background commentary” about the Justice Department “make it impossible for me to do my job” and that “I’m not going to be bullied or influenced by anybody.” Barr adding that “I think it’s time to stop the tweeting about Department of Justice criminal cases.” Barr’s comments came in response to Trump congratulating Barr for “taking charge” and personally intervening to overruling career prosecutors’ sentencing recommendation for Roger Stone. Barr added, however, that Trump “has never asked me to do anything in a criminal case.” (ABC News / New York Times / Axios / NPR)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2020/02/13/day-1120/
4 Likes

More shadowy and predictable outcomes here.

No Mr. President. You can not do this.

President Donald Trump said Thursday that he might end the long-running practice of letting other administration officials listen in on presidential calls with foreign leaders. That’s after Trump’s impeachment was triggered by his July phone call with the president of Ukraine.

I may end the practice entirely,” Trump told Geraldo Rivera in a radio interview that aired Thursday. Records experts said that was a bad idea, for multiple reasons.

Trump also offered new insights into his feelings about being impeached, saying it made him think about the “dark” days when Richard Nixon resigned over the Watergate scandal before his own likely impeachment.

5 Likes

Interviews with various experts on Authoritarianism…and on Maddow’s (MSNBC) show tonight with Timothy Snyder, Yale Prof who wrote - On Tyranny

• Americans are running out of time to stop President Donald Trump’s authoritarian slide, experts warned.
  • “There need to be mass protests,” a Yale philosophy professor and expert on fascism told Insider. “The Republican Party is betraying democracy, and these are historical times. Someone has got to push back.”
  • Since he was acquitted in the GOP-controlled Senate earlier this month, the president has overseen a White House purge of impeachment witnesses, and the attorney general has intervened in the trial of a Trump associate.
  • Republicans have mostly sat back, with at least one senator conceding that Trump’s behavior did not seem to have changed because of impeachment.
  • “There is absolutely no reason for him to stop pushing. It goes against both his personality and his experience,” Cas Mudde, a political scientist at the University of Georgia, told Insider.

If Americans are concerned that President Donald Trump and Republicans are moving the US toward becoming a one-party, authoritarian state, they are running out of time to stop them, experts warned.

Trump has exhibited autocratic impulses since his 2016 campaign and from the moment he entered the White House.

The president has attacked virtually every democratic institution in the US when he’s felt its actions were unfavorable to his agenda or public appearance. Meanwhile, he pushed traditional US allies away while openly embracing many of the world’s most repressive leaders.

20 ways to recognize tyranny — and fight it

Review of “On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century” by Timothy Snyder

4 Likes

This comes at a time when Gen Flynn does take T to task and emphatically defends Lt Col Vindman on his conduct and praises Vindman for not following ‘illegal’ instructions. For Gen. Mattis, he is too much of a Marine to opening criticize the commanding officer and will keep his mouth shut, and that was true all during his book promotion. Lt. Gen McMaster is writing a book, so he is surely keeping mum for a while.

Perhaps author/pundit Peter Bergin is promoting his book, but it is interesting to see that Gen John Kelly is standing up to T.

In his comments this week, Kelly also poured cold water on one of Trump’s pet foreign policy projects, some kind of nuclear deal with the North Korean dictator, Kim Jong Un, saying that he “never did think (Kim) would do anything other than play us for a while.” And Kelly pushed back on Trump’s repeated claims that the media is “the enemy of the people,” saying, “We need a free media.

Kelly is one of several generals who have served in high-profile posts in the Trump administration; among the others were former Secretary of Defense, retired Marine Gen. James Mattis, and former national security adviser, Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster.

Mattis and Kelly have a deep and longstanding relationship. During the 2003 US invasion of Iraq, Mattis and Kelly led the 1st Marine Division into Baghdad. When they were working for President Trump they also worked together closely.

Now that Kelly has laid down a marker with his criticisms of Trump, might Mattis? I doubt it. Mattis ducked every opportunity to do so on his book tour in September to promote his memoir, “Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead.” Mattis noted in his book, "I’m old fashioned: I don’t write about sitting presidents."

As I reported in “Trump and His Generals,” at a party for Mattis in Washington, DC, to celebrate the publication of his memoir, Mary Louise Kelly, the co-anchor of NPR’s “All Things Considered,” asked Mattis what it would take for him to criticize President Trump publicly.

Could there ever come a time when he felt he had to speak out if he felt that the country was truly imperiled? Mattis became animated saying he would never do that, observing that, “Mike Flynn and John Allen—I could not disagree more strongly with what they did.”

Retired Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn had campaigned for Trump and had led chants of “Lock her up!” at the 2016 Republican convention, while Allen, a retired four-star Marine general like Mattis, had spoken at the Democratic convention the same year and had made his own spirited speech in favor of Hillary Clinton.

McMaster is working on his own book “Battlegrounds,” which is slated for publication this year, according to HarperCollins Publishers. On his book tour, McMaster will surely face some of the same questions that Mattis chose not to answer about Trump.

2 Likes

:boom:
McCabe is cleared…YES!

The decision to decline charges appears to be a move to distance the Justice Department from President Trump, who has long attacked Mr. McCabe.

@Pet_Proletariat @MissJava Can you move to Day 1120 Please?!!

3 Likes

There is still time to stop a runaway methane-based greenhouse scenario.

But with news like this, we must act NOW.

NASA Flights Detect Millions of Arctic Methane Hotspots

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Good. Hopefully he can sue to get his pension back. It was just cruel to mess with his retirement fund.

4 Likes