WTF Community

Day 1289

1/ Trump questioned Kamala Harris’ racial identity at the National Association of Black Journalists conference, falsely suggesting that Harris had misled voters about her race. Harris is the daughter of a Jamaican father and an Indian mother – both immigrants to the U.S. “I didn’t know she was Black until a number of years ago when she happened to turn Black, and now she wants to be known as Black,” Trump said. “So I don’t know, is she Indian or is she Black?” Later, Trump said “she was Indian all the way,” but then “became a Black person […] I think somebody should look into that too.” Trump also frequently mispronounced Harris’s first name. In addition, Trump berated the Black reporter who asked him about his past racist rhetoric, including his insults toward Black prosecutors, repeated false claims that Obama was born in Africa, and his racist calls for four congresswomen to “go back” to where they came from. “Well first of all, I don’t think I’ve ever been asked a question in such a horrible manner,” Trump said, calling the interview “disgraceful” and criticizing what he characterized as a “rude introduction.” The Harris campaign, meanwhile, said: “The hostility Donald Trump showed on stage today is the same hostility he has shown throughout his life, throughout his term in office, and throughout his campaign for president. […] Trump lobbed personal attacks and insults at Black journalists the same way he did throughout his presidency. […] Trump has already proven he cannot unite America, so he attempts to divide us. […] Today’s tirade is simply a taste of the chaos and division that has been a hallmark of Trump’s MAGA rallies this entire campaign.” And, White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre added that Trump’s comments were “repulsive,” “insulting,” and “no one has any right to tell someone who they are.” (Washington Post / New York Times / Bloomberg / Reuters / Associated Press / Politico / Wall Street Journal / CNBC)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2024/07/31/day-1289/
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.