WTF Community

Day 1311

1/ Tim Walz formally accepted the Democratic nomination for vice president and thanked the party for “bringing the joy to this fight.” Walz – a teacher, coach, and veteran – introduced himself to the nation by saying: “In Minnesota, we respect our neighbors and the personal choices they make. And even if we wouldn’t make those same choices for ourselves, we’ve got a golden rule: mind your own damn business.” He denounced Trump’s form of leadership, saying good leaders “don’t spend all day insulting people and blaming people. Leaders do the work. I don’t know about you all, but I’m ready to turn the page on these guys. So go ahead, say it with me: ‘We’re not going back!’” As Walz delivered his speech, he gave his family a shoutout from the stage, which prompted his 17-year-old son, Gus, to stand and tearfully pointed to his father: “That’s my dad!” Earlier in the night, Oprah Winfrey urged voters to “choose common sense over nonsense” and vote for Kamala Harris, calling her “the best of America.” Bill Clinton, meanwhile, boasted that he’s “still younger” than Trump and contrasted Trump’s self-centeredness with how “Kamala Harris is the only candidate in this race who has the vision, the experience, the temperament, the will, and yes — the sheer joy — to get something done.” He added: “Now, how does Donald Trump use his voice? He mostly to talks about himself. […] The next time you hear him, don’t count the lies — count the I’s.” Tonight, Harris will use her acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention to propose a “New Way Forward” – her agenda that promises economic opportunity while protecting fundamental freedoms. (Associated Press / NPR / Axios / New York Times / Washington Post / Bloomberg / CBS News / Politico)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2024/08/22/day-1311/
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.