WTF Community

Day 1329

Global: Total confirmed cases: ~27,629,000; deaths: ~899,000

U.S.: Total confirmed cases: ~6,335,000; deaths: ~190,000

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2020/09/09/day-1329/
3 Likes

Couple of polls I didn’t include:

3 Likes

Trump was proudly litigious before his victory in 2016 and has remained so in the White House. But one big factor has changed: He has drawn on campaign donations as a piggy bank for his legal expenses to a degree far greater than any of his predecessors.

3 Likes

In short, every major spy service around the globe is trying to find out what everyone else is up to.

The coronavirus pandemic has prompted one of the fastest peacetime mission shifts in recent times for the world’s intelligence agencies, pitting them against one another in a new grand game of spy versus spy, according to interviews with current and former intelligence officials and others tracking the espionage efforts.

Nearly all of the United States’ adversaries intensified their attempts to steal American research while Washington, in turn, has moved to protect the universities and corporations doing the most advanced work. NATO intelligence, normally concerned with the movement of Russian tanks and terrorist cells, has expanded to scrutinize Kremlin efforts to steal vaccine research as well, according to a Western official briefed on the intelligence.

4 Likes

Trump has built a political career around falsehoods, issuing more than 20,000 false or misleading statements during the first three-plus years of his presidency. But many experts said the onslaught of the disinformation efforts by Trump and his team in the late weeks of the campaign make the deception particularly difficult to combat, not to mention dangerous to the country’s democratic institutions.

“When you have this disinformation and it’s introduced to one side of the forest, for example, it can travel so quickly through so many different communities and does so many unintentional things before you can even do a fact check,” said Whitney Phillips, assistant professor of communication and rhetorical studies at Syracuse University. “He’s able to muddy the waters so thoroughly that democracy wilts on the vine.”

4 Likes

The nation’s surveillance court found that the F.B.I. had committed “widespread violations” of rules intended to protect Americans’ privacy when analysts search through a repository of emails gathered without a warrant, but it nevertheless signed off on another year of the program, according to a newly declassified ruling.

The heavily redacted, 83-page ruling about the warrantless surveillance program was issued in December and became public on Friday after it was declassified and posted on a government website.

The release came days after a federal appeals court ruled in a different case that another, now-defunct surveillance-related program, in which the National Security Agency collected bulk logs of domestic phone calls, was illegal. The court nevertheless declined to overturn the convictions of defendants in a terrorism financing case that had included evidence derived from the program and that the government had pointed to in making the case for the program’s value.

4 Likes

The US economy is down 4.7 million jobs since January 2017 when Trump took office

4 Likes

The newly renovated White House Rose Garden is under repair less than three weeks after its official unveiling.

Trump’s reelection campaign is paying to replace sod on the White House South Lawn and in the Rose Garden after damage to the greenery late last month from large crowds and heavy equipment used for Republican National Convention festivities

4 Likes

Today’s news came out like a firehose

image https://media1.tenor.com/images/540c77b42469e202e67eef1a6f4e50e8/tenor.gif?itemid=10742502

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: :face_vomiting: Coronavirus (Community Thread)

Tell me about it. I thought I was keeping on top of it, and when Matt put out his thing of the day’s events there were still a bunch I hadn’t seen, and then I found like four or five big ones I hadn’t seen yet and posted them, mostly related to the Woodward revelations.

Speaking of which, the backlash against him not reporting this all sooner is pretty big. I get that, too; it feels like if he had, thousands more might not have died. I’d keep a watch on that. I’ve even seen some people saying he should be prosecuted.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: :ballot_box: 2020 Primary Election

I gotta say my first reaction to hearing about his book and what was in it was like WTF. The RAAAAAAAGE and disgust I feel toward all of these fuckers publishing books for shock value and money and prestige or yada yada yada whatever…I mean. Whew. But also, even if he HAD come out with that information and not sat on it, would it have made a difference? I don’t think so, honestly. The usual spin would have gone round and round, just on an earlier timeline. His goal has always been to collapse society and break it into pieces for himself and his people, so like any good abuser he/they would have found a way to make any Bob Bombshell gaslit-away.

(Re: the goal of collapse: Here is the interview with Fox from 2014, and if you don’t want to watch it b/c UNDERSTANDABLE REASONS, the takeaway quote is: “You know what solves it?” he said of America’s sorry state. “When the economy crashes, when the country goes to total hell and everything is a disaster. Then you’ll have a [chuckles], you know, you’ll have riots to go back to where we used to be when we were great.”)

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.